Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent article on how important small landlords are and how screwing them over hasn't worked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Again you are waffling. You have been doing nothing but waffling since you started posting on this thread.

He is obviously is like many of those small LL who was not jacking up rents at every opportunity like corporate entities do. So he got caught by RPZ's.

I never made any reference to business decisions. But there was many and still is many that got caught with negative equity. as I have pointed out to you before many small LL did not Jack up rents continually especially in the 2014-16 when RPZ bough in to solve the rising rents. Many still did not then and are now caught on the double.

Again you have not indicated what line of business you are in. However you are still waffling.

As for calling me Warren buffet. I have no problem with that as my investments have more than double in value since I bought them.

So indicate where you business acumen and stop waffling

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Go do it now. Come pack in 20yrs and let us know how much was profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is the expectation that it should work like that that is ridiculous.

Step A. Sign a loan agreement

Step B. Given money to person selling house

Step C. Sit back and expect that someone else should pay back all the interest and capital of that loan, along with any other maintenance expense, with no risk to you

Step D: Moan and whine if there is a blip along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

It’s always best to sneer when you know facts aren’t on your side.

Have the courage of your conviction by voting with your wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sounds so easy gave a go at it.

You must have 30% of the capital+about 10k.

That somebody else had the option to buy that house. For the first ten years you will subsidize that property by the maintenance costs and half the loan repayments. From that on you will be making a small profit to year 20. Year 20+ will be dependent on how long the mortgage was for. When you consider your original 30% investment you are probably making a modest return.

For that you have probably repainted and cleaned out the house 10+times. Reacted to 2-3 callout's every year.

LL's are not moaning they are leaving in there droves. 2.5-3k every year. 20,k less tenancies since 2016 and you are continuing to waffle

Slava Ukrainii

Wouldn't bother with a loan Bass. If I wanted to buy a few houses I'd buy them. Am not interested in houses.

Am interested in buying a block of land though. Waiting for the right block to come up in my area. I know a few bits that will be coming to the market over the next few years. When they will land is something that is not known. Have to stay reasonably liquid though.

Land, as you know, would not suit the "someone else should pay for it for me" brigade. I'd say there'd be about a 2% yield on land if you were renting it out....perhaps a bit more going by the last year or two depending on your area. Probably wouldn't cover the interest repayments for anyone getting a loan for the max they could.

Renting out land same as renting out property.

Land-Lord

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭Tow

TD will not get much sympathy here when traveling folk setup camp on his land.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭notAMember

so so wrong all the time. it’s not one property , and I’m neither a fella or a man. Eyeroll. And as I said it is offset by the rest of the portfolio. However, there are plenty of people in far worse situations . Anyone who bought in 2007 won’t be out of neg equity, especially if they were interest only as many investment properties were.

You would also know that the value is tied to the rental yield. So if you were a decent landlord and didn’t push up rent before rpz, and the unit next door did, then their unit is worth more.

Now, are we trying to create a society with upwards only rent? Because that’s what sneering at those who didn’t shove rent up does.

So what line of business are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭notAMember

Actually, one other thing, it isn’t a capital loss unless they are sold, which is why I derided the notion of doing that, it would be a stupid move.

Maybe what a smart business person should do, is follow the law. To be a crappy enough unresponsive landlord that the tenants move out, then leave it vacant for two years.

That erases the RPZ and you can then sell at market rate.

Luckily that goes against my values, but it shows again what an utterly stupid system has been put in place by populous headless-chicken legislation. It’s an absolute mess that leaves people without places to live, lines the coffers of central govt (not the local councils) and strips suppliers out of the market.

If you bought a property 15 years ago and it's still in negative equity, then I'm not going to consider you as some kind of investment guru regardless of what gender you identify as. A bad decision is still a bad decision even if you made it 15 years ago. Particularly given you are still moaning that you are suffering from it. 15 years and you still owe more on it than it's worth?

Well done you though. You were able to sign a piece of paper, without understanding what could go wrong, and then have the State bail you out a few years later by changing rules and propping up the market for as long as possible. No doubt you'd feel some entitlement to the same rescue if property prices fell again.

If you bought a property that you could only pay the interest on for 15 years, then you couldn't afford it. You are only really renting it from the bank unless and until you can eventually afford it. Lesson learned - in future don't be greedy and don't fall for get-rich-quick schemes.

BTW, given all your years "professional" experience, you should know that upwards only rent review clauses are not allowed now. You can write them into a lease if you want, but they have no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

If you rented your land to a tenant and they could decide not to pay for years and then damage it leaving remaining in situ all the while leaving you with very little recourse

If the govt legislated for max rent you could charge on said land which penalised you if you left them low (ratcheting effect)

If their tenancy could be extended for years

If these rules gave the tenant renting from you all the protection and you **** all

What would you think of that out of curiosity?

Just another business expense, something you had to factor

If its only going to return 2% why aren't you exploring other options......you would just be rent seeking after all

Or do you think you would never rent it out?.....maybe when you get a little older and kids/relatives might not want to work it

What if there was a risk it could only be sold with a tenant in situ? As tenancies were legally extended beyond the duration you bargained for?

How would you swallow that if your rights on the land you borrowed and paid interest on etc were continuously diluted/removed by populist rules which benefitted neither you or the tenants renting the land off you long term.

Wouldn't be buying it to rent it out. I don't feel that anyone owes me a living surprisingly enough. I'm buying it to have it. My money and I can do what I like with it. I'm not begging a bank manager to give me a lend of someone else's money so that I can try to scalp someone else with it.

BTW, getting paid for land you rent out is notoriously difficult. Which is why many lads try to ask for staggered payment or payment up front. But traditionally, lads don't pay up front. Still happens now with the 5-year leases - people get stung in the last year. Life ain't all roses. Even if they haven't paid you, and you know they have no intention of paying you, you cannot stop them from harvesting their crop off your land.

Yep.....you are starting to think now.

Maybe it's not all whinging.....and maybe you wouldn't like it if you couldn't do "what you liked with it" as your property dhich you purchased with your money becomes less and less your property.

BTW, I didn't read all your post as there was a lot of random sentences in it, but just thought I'd mention this one:

If their tenancy could be extended for years

Commercial leases can indeed be entitled to renewals regardless of what the landlord wants. Land in Ireland is traditionally let on a conacre basis (11-month lease) to ensure breaks. That changed a bit due to recently introduced tax reliefs.

If you don't know the rules, don't get into the business. You have a choice. If you bought a house to rent out, and the rules were going to be changed to something that was going to be a problem for you, the time to sell was before they came in. Your choice. Comparing to something else you choose not to do is invalid. It would be like deciding to buy a Hummer that does 5 miles to the gallon instead of a ford fiesta that does 50, and then after you knowingly buy it, complain that it isn't fair it only does 5mpg because the fiesta does 50

Bullshit imo....its just another example of populist rules/regulations that destroy a market and mess it up for the renters and those letting the ptoperty...designed to appease fools with chips on their shoulders.....if anything has become clear to me over ghe years its that turkeys really can vote for christmas

I believe you will find yourself on the wrong side of the nonsense at some point and won't be able to be quite so glib about it imo.....

I wouldn't touch buying properly to rent out with a bargepole now and I wish those trying to rent luck with big business interests that will increasingly control the market. I'm sure their "efficiency" will be cold comfort....

Not bullshit at all. Here is the relevant revised Act which can grant entitlement to a new lease

This is the original which is not updated but you might be able to read through easier it to get an idea of what it contains. Some things in this will be a little out of date though

If you buy a commercial property and rent it out knowing that you might be stuck with a particular tenant, and that is some kind of problem for you, then that's your fault. If you buy it to rent out, not knowing the rules that can affect you, again that is your fault.

Thats nonsensical analogy it has zero relevance.

In that example nothing has changed. In this market all the rules have changed and are likely to change some more.

"...If you don't know the rules..."....No one can know the rules they keep changing them.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying the act/revised act is bullshit or doesnt exist..

I'm saying I think your opinion is bullshit.....maybe you realise that now and just don't like conceding a point or maybe you will realise it when you find yourself on the wrong side of ill thought out one sided populist nonsense like it.

If you keep up to date, you will learn about changes before they become law. You can decide what to do based on that.

It's not an opinion. You can read the Act and revision if you want. Commercial leases could have rights to renew since the 1980's. It's hardly an outrage that people living in houses should have some sort of security - although they don't have a right to renew. They just have an automatic/implicit lease entitlement. But at the end of that period the landlord can terminate (obviously following proper procedures).

In no other business do the people who can't cope expect to be propped up and mollycoddled. You can, if you want, buy the Hummer and complain afterwards that it's not fair because the fiesta does 50mpg and ask the State to bail you out if you want. You made the choice though. If I buy land and I don't have to deal with tenants, you can't claim you are hard done buy because you bought a house and you got in tenants and I have none.

I edited my post to make it clear what I meant but even from the earlier version you quoted its clear I'm not saying the act doesn't exist....

As for the hummer It's a terrible analogy.....just terrible.

It must be up there in non-analogous analogies Hall of fame.

And apparently I feel hard done by as I have tenants and you have none??????? Wtf ???????

I'm not sure there's any other business where the state through legislation and regulation actively encourages the customer to not pay for a service...............maybe in an alternate clown universe where up is down and down is up etc🤣

Lots of threads on boards about leasing out farmland. Farmers are all chasing handouts to make it viable. That's his alternative to a market that doesn't even want handouts. If there's one sector that's even more crazy than rental market its farming.

Ok how about this one:

I have 500k. Amacca has 500k. I decide to buy a field which I don't intend to rent to anyone. Amacca decides to buy a house which he intends to rent out. Amacca cannot later come along and say it isn't fair because I have no tenants whereas he has tenants and says that I wouldn't like if I had tenants so we should all change the rules to make things easier for him to deal with his tenants and to make it fair.

I am a farmer, at least I have some recourse if a guy doesn't pay.....the rules aren't on their side entirely

It can be a pain in the rear but delinquency is not advocated and legislated for and vetting etc is much easier

That's a much more acceptable risk and not completely one side imo.

The way renting a house is going I'd need a 20 years in advance deposit to have a chance of breaking even....

Anyone with even a vague idea of fairness could see its skewed...and what's most amazing is its hurting those that want to rent accomodation and still people are advocating the nonsense

It matters little what you intend...the situation could very well pop up.......we all get old or change direction in life

Imagine if similar sets of rules/regulations applied to you renting out land....

And you wanted to say use the income to pay for a child's education etc etc

The law should treat the person renting and the person doing the renting out fairly....not load the die in favour of one party

You have the same recourse as you have against a residential tenant. The difference is that the farmer is more likely to have assets that could be seized whereas the residential person who stiffs you might know that you would be wasting your time as anything awarded won't be able to be collected. The recourse is the same though. Whether you can collect it depends on the person. Not on the type of property rented. The person who rented your field might also have nothing. Or the person who rents your house might have load and loads of assets.

Regardless, I am sure you know of many people who got stung and don't get paid. Same as how plenty of contractors get stung.

• Advertisement

Well I'll say this for you. You have a great imagination

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement