Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent article on how important small landlords are and how screwing them over hasn't worked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not sure what the crying face is for. It was only a joke about the double entendre "happy endings". No offence meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

'What do you think is a more efficient system for distribution and delivery of food? Your Tesco's and Aldis and Dunne's stores or a network of 20 little independent small shops in every town?'

Efficient at making money for themselves and sending it back to UK, Germany etc.

Small outdoor food sellers were put out of business by Dublin City Council during lockdown while Tesco enriched itself at their expense.

"Spare a thought for giant corporations who can't compete against small business and need government intervention to level the playing field"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭Tow

DT thinks his large foreign (absentee landlord) owns 32 units in a block. The reality is they own all the blocks in the complex. They cater for the higher end of the market. Not for those those who want a house and/or want to live in the country side or small to medium town. Their profits are exported tax free from the Ireland, so generate no further employment or benefit to the country. They employee their own maintenance teams, so small trades men don't get any work. They increase rents on the button each year. They initiate proceeding to remove 'problem' tenants on the first sign of trouble.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Well Tow, I never mandated foreigners. That is a particular slant that the desperate are clinging to in order to try to give them some justification. Nor am I calling for only corporate landlords. Simply pointing out that they can be part of a solution, particularly when some amateurs don't appear to be able to cope

You can pool your resources with 31 of your buddies and buy that 32 block apartment if you want and run it professionally. Get a manager and have a handyman on call etc.

There will still be a place in the market for your rental house in the countryside if you want. But you can't use the excuse of your house in the countryside to say that it is a bad idea to have an apartment block in D1

BTW, non-resident landlords are currently subject to a 20% withholding tax on rental income. While there may be loopholes that allow companies to be structured in a way that avoids them paying that tax here, those can always be changed so tax or not is not a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

I know but it's like a drug when I need a laugh I check in.

Summer holidays too. Long days of nothing to fill 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

No just enjoy reading the condescending posts of some posters.

Don't stop posting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭amacca

It's hardly a gravy train when the passengers all want to get off🤔

Or at least it's not a very good one.

Well if you had a good idea it might crash into a wall, you might be happy to jump off and cash out. Plenty of people were accidental landlords after the last crash. The vast majority will have been lifted out of negative equity. Anyone whose debt only related to a residential property which was built at the time should be in a good state now.

A large number of people (as in people whose job it is to do these things) are forecasting recessions in most major markets around the world. If not by the end of the year (needs at least 2 quarters), in 2023.

• Advertisement

Should a shop owner expect to hand over potentially years worth of their stock for free

Should a farmer not be able to take land under lease back if the person leasing doesn't pay and have **** all recourse if the tenant destroys yhe place

Those are business and I voukd list a lot of others that wouldn't have to put up with the total bolokology private landlords have to.

It's not whinging, it's asking for some semblance of fair play.

Being in business doesn't meant you should have to accept being treated like less than a doormat ....it might not be profitable but not bring able to defend your interests to that level isn't legislated for.

If you're a sub contractor who puts in a new kitchen for someone, you can't legally just go in and take that back if you don't get paid. The person who owns the house is continuing to use "your" kitchen every day. If a contractor bales and wraps silage for a man, and doesn't get paid, he can't go into his yard with a stanley knife to "take back his plastic". Any business gets bad debts which it has to manage. If you have a commercial tenant who stops paying rent, you would still likely have to go to court to get them out if they did their heels in.

You do not have the same rights in relation to a house you are renting out as you do in relation to your own private residence. I think people get upset when they suddenly realise this.

I see so because in other limited situations some businesses get shafted everyone should and put up or shut up or you are just a whinger.

Contractors refuse to work for non paying sleeveens....sometimes without money up front or at all....and those customers generally run out of people to take advantage....I've seen it happen....contractors asked to travel for long distances always wonder why the locals wont do it and a phonecall or two are made.....a lad local to me just doesn't bother with pricks.........unfortunately the govt encourages you to take the piss if you are a tenant.

I'm not sure what recourse subbies have but that imo is wrong too and isn't something that justifies the approach to private landlords....two wrongs don't make a right essentially.

But as a private landlord the regulations have got to a space where they encourage taking the piss.....

Years of lost revenue and virtually no recourse for damages etc is indefensible imo

It isn't a business for a person with one or two properties to be taking chances on strangers. That is my point all along. If you get stung, you are in a bad way. It could devastate you. But that is why the returns on property were so relatively high (capital was basically free and you'd be getting a decent few percent yield on rental income). If you have a situation where people take on a lot of risk, then they feel they deserve a higher return. You should not get compensated for idiosyncratic risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Think it's bad now, when the shinners get in, what small landlords left will run for the exit I think. The expectation they will get in is why some are running now I know for a fact.

I'm coming at it from a perspective of natural justice

+ it doesn't have to be that level of risk if the state doesn't legislate for it.....they have actively tried to make a punchbag out of private landlords .

How about they live up to their responsibilities for a change and allow problem tenants to be asked (sorry I mean forced) to leave in a timely fashion

Lots of other contracts can be enforced....+ it would in my opinion lead to lower rents as more would see renting as an attractive proposition

I don't see the corporates lowering rents etc.....they'll be efficient in their own interests exusively and those won't overlap with the interests of a large cohort of renters imo.

No they haven't. The State is protecting the rights of the "consumer". Which is the tenant. The rights are put in there to protect genuine tenants from unscrupulous practices. It is a fact of life that there will always be someone who tries to take advantage of any protection. That is not a reason that it should be eliminated. It just means you have to learn to manage it. If a person can't, then maybe they should look at something else and step aside and let someone who can do it, do it.

We fundamentally disagree so

I believe in fair play for both sides and people taking advantage on both sides be dealt with.

I could never accept the kinds of one sided rules/policies/regulations/risk a private landlord has to abide by without a similar level of responsibility enforced on the tenant side....its not just protection its carte blanche to take the piss.

Tbh I wouldn't be getting involved at all if I had a property to rent........the risk is simply too large its not worth it, any potential reward is no reward at all if a tenant never has to pay it.....potential tenants would have to walk on by (as the song goes)

The rules are enforced. It will take time to process them, but they are enforced. The difficulty many have is that their tenant is not what would be called a "mark" in legal circles. If they have nothing, then you can get nothing from them. You'll eventually get them out though.

If you are renting as a small landlord, rent to a person with assets. If you rent to someone with nothing, and it goes bad, you can't get blood out of a stone.

Ah yeah but you can't get the stone to leave in a reasonable time frame either....and the state sponsors said stone to suck the blood out of you in the meantime.

That's enforcing nothing on that side....they bear no risk for not living up to their end of their bargain......

No wonder there is an exodus....people that advocate this (that arent policy makers on the real gravy train) will reap what they sow at some point in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

We got our rental back on Sunday,going to market next week,this ^^, the govt changing goalposts on let's,and the RTB's new €40 PA charge were all factors on our decision to sell up......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"Rent to a person with assets"

Where do you think you are?

I hadn't a bloody penny when I left school and it was small landlords and their easy availability allowed me to get qualified, move around for experience and get on with life.

I'd be totally fucked with your plan.

Have you ever had to try and rent a place to live yourself or did you inherit the farm at home and feel able to lecture the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,238 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Waffle waffle.

You cannot discriminate against HAP tenants you are continually waffling.

Oh sorry you can if you are an Insurance company

So just more waffling

And the rest is waffle as well. If tenants had been see an marks BS, any LL with 1-2 or even 3 wants dependable tenants. They will scarfice yield over profit. That why many got caught with low rents

Slava Ukrainii

Nobody forces you to rent to any specific person. Same as the way nobody forces an employer to hire a particular worker. In both cases you can't "discriminate". That doesn't mean you don't have choice.

If you were not aware that you had a choice in who you rent your property to, then maybe it isn't a good option for you to be a landlord............

Would you never get a reference for a prospective tenant? You'd be a sitting duck for a scammer.

You could rent off a person who has capacity to manage the risk. If you are the landlord with one property that you are depending on for your pension, you'd better make sure you make a good decision given you have put most of your eggs into one basket.

Anything I have, I bought. I've never inherited anything as all the previous generation to me are still alive and hopefully will be for another 30 years. None of your business anyway

Jealous much? Bitter that you think someone got an inheritance windfall? Some people don't need to depend on windfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

This is true enough within the system as is.

In fact, one possibility is that you should only rent to someone who can provide an Ireland based property owning guarantor to cosign a lease and whose assets can be seized if necessary to enforce any award for failure to pay rent/damage.

The issue is that this reality is unnecessary, inefficient and causes significant externalities -it pushes up all rents/forces small time landlords to leave the market and poorer people without links to the country and without assets cannot rent- or can only rent at a significant premium.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Best of luck sandy, mine going up next week too once BER cert done on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

We have become a great country for over regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

Jajajaja

And how’s that working out for the consumer? Renters are delighted with the market are they?

Idiotic.

I cannot fathom how some people don’t understand that crucifying the supplier causes shortages for the consumer. It’s so basic.

just some mental block I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Once DT starts in on a thread with his/ her hyperbolic examples the thread is ruined.

Left wing loonies want small landlords to be treated like businesses,but implement laws in rules that would put any other business out of action.

Imagine forcing petrol station owners to provide free diesel to someone who does a drive off every month and then smashed up the petrol station.

And were the owner to shut off the pumps, well then fine him 10 grand and give it to the deadbeat motorist!

That's exactly what hundreds of landlords are facing right now

Why are the government introducing price caps on fuel and food?

Because they don't work.

Same with tenants. Small landlords provide the majority of rental stock, yet the left y Ultras want them gone.

Absolute madness, but fortunately for me, I have plenty of money and can weather these moronic policies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement