Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can imagine for the folks who travelled from NJPW, they might have been tentative about the reception they would get, but the crowd would have made a world of difference for them. Okada mentioned it in the media scrum I think - they still have big restrictions in Japan. For me, I got to see people who've only ever been "names" for me and that I'd never seen before (because NJPW seems to be so aggressive in removing things from YT or wherever). The way Minoru Suzuki was able to get some TV time over here this year was a great introduction to him (and I laughed my ass off when he threatened a topé suicida last night). I can see why people rate Okada and Tanahashi so highly now too and the non-Japanese folks like Osprey and Jay White who I had seen doing indy things on YT are elevated because I have context for the kinds of people they're having matches with.

In that aspect alone, the PPV has to be considered a success and I hope all concerned are happy and will try to make it happen again.

Khan mentioned in the scrum that they did try and get some of the women from Stardom but there were visa and schedule issues and all that says to me is that they could really massively reboot their women's division by running a women's only PPV with Stardom or whoever and blow the roof off the place with a debuting Mercedes KV winning something big - but that's well into the realms of fantasy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Watching this in the cinema was great craic. Definitely the next best thing if you can't make it to a show.

Clark Connors and Shota Umino both showing why they are future stars, delighted for them both and the reception they got.

Pity about the IWGP finish alright and the injury curse is bad, but I won't complain about having Adam Cole off my screen for a while, he's way over exposed and hopefully it gives Andrade/Penta/Malakai/Buddy and others the chance to shine a little more.

If you can go to Grand Slam, I'd strongly recommend it. Was amazing last year and I'll try hit it again this year.

Never seen a major WWE star post a screenshot of an AEW show before. Usually when someone debuts they'll just post "Let's go!!" or something without actually saying what they're talking about. Fair play to her for not giving a **** and supporting him.

Delighted to see him sign. Him and Danielson were my favourite in ring wrestlers of the last decade or so when I was watching WWE so always wanted to see him signed. Just give him the TNT title and let him have open challenge bangers every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Some loser in the replies tagged WWE and asked is this allowed. As if they wouldn't have noticed until he tagged them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Pity about the STARDOM clash, they had a big event on Sunday with two cage matches which are pretty rare to see in joshi but considering how succesful FD was you'd have to think it will happen. The rumour was Khan wanted Mayu which would have been the STARDOM equivalent of Tanahashi.

FD was just fun to watch, of course the show came about for the hardcores but I think it did a great job of getting New Japan over for people who aren't overly familiar with it, Kevin Kelly really helped, he's great. It's clear to see Okada and Tanahashi are class act's, even if the Ace is no longer in his prime.

I think overall the show was greater than the sum of it's parts, considering there was no Danielson, Punk, Omega, Naito, Hiromu, Andrade, MJF, Luchas, Ishii, KENTA to name a few. Roll on FD 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭ThePott

One thing I didn't mention that I really liked was how they blended some of the AEW/NJPW stuff.

Like Moxley's theme starting out with Death Rider before going into Wild Thing. Carrying over the Shota Umino/Jericho moment. Having two announcers. The commentary team including Kevin Kelly all night was excellent as well. It was a great booth.

It just seems like they made the proper effort to make this a crossover show rather than just an AEW show with some New Japan guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

From what I’ve read, He was a long time travel partner of Becky and Seth, so is quite close.

plus, his love of dad jokes likely links up well with Becky’s love of puns 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 85,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bryan "through the forbidden door" back to WWE for Cena, wishing him well for his 20 years, good on Bryan and AEW

Time to use that stacked roster to let all these injured guys heel up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm pretty sure that's still a storyline injury. Someone asked him what happened and he said that they popped his shoulder back in and he's fine.

As for Moxley, according to Meltzer and people in attendance it sounds like something he just said off the cuff lightheartedly. Maybe not the thing to joke about but sounds like he's fine.

Wrestlers really do need time to recover and heel up that was the first time in about 7 or 8 years that I haven't seen Cesaro held together by KT Tape. The time off since he got sacked by the WWE has given his body time to mend. If KT Tape is holding you together it means you aren't 100%.

Whats the story with PAC does he not live in the States full time and he just flies back and forth between Newcastle and America.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

AEW need to take the women's division more seriously before doing crossover shows with Stardom. The talent in Stardom would embarrass most of the AEW roster.

Hell, they even had Miyu Yamashita over recently who's one of the top joshis and they just had her on Dark.

I'd say Stardom would only be interested for the ex Stardom talent like Storm and Hayter. Can't imagine they're jobbing likes of Syuri, Utami or Mayu out.

Safe to say Forbidden Door was a success it did over a million in ticket sales and 5 million in PPV buys.

Not too bad for what I think some on here were calling a very hard sell before the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

Extremely long time lurker. Only really got into watching AEW during the pandemic. Had to log in to say that Forbidden Door really sold New Japan to me. Didn't know the first thing about it and didn't even bother researching it before Sunday but I really enjoyed the PPV

Just reading thats Swerve was just off a plane after flying back in from Paris where he been wrestling the night before.

They threw on Archer vs. Comoroto to give him time to get ready for his match.

Fir a match that was just put on Archer vs. Comoroto was great fun I want more of that from AEW's bigger men.

Also fair play to Swerve for the performance he put on after just getting off a near 10 hour flight.

So happy to see him doing well. When I lived in Japan in 2017 I went to tonnes of NJPW shows and it was my first proper introduction to it before I knew of the young lions setup. Oka, now the Great O-Khan approached me on the first show I went to asking where I was from etc and how I liked the shows. Used to see him helping out at all the shows and would always get a hello and a nod every time I saw him. Imagine my surprise seeing him open a show then as a wrestler! I cheered liked mad for him and he thanked me when I saw him after the show. Used to chat with Kawato and Kitemura too and have some pics with them all somewhere.

• Advertisement

We're definetely still getting the Danielson match, hopefully at WK. ZSJ is great, love his post match rants!

Alan "5" Angels has confirmed his contract is expiring and he's finishing up with AEW.

I'll give Khan credit, he's not renewing the contracts of people I wouldn't have re-signed.

Swole, Marko, Janela, Jack Evans. The only one I was a fan of was Stu Grayson.

You have to think that the dark order will be winding down soon.

In A,Erica so getting to watch Blood and Guts live.

curious to see if it’s as painful to watch with commercials as Raw is usually 😂

FTR and Danhausen vs Acclaimed and the Ass Boys is literally my perfect match up 😂

Production values are great this week. Little Caesars is a great arena.

Nice development of stories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Did anyone else catch Kingston ask were they on a break when on top of the cage?

overall very enjoyable dynamite.

Enjoyed that. The time absolutely flew by. Especially since one match went a full hour. Ending continues Eddie vs Jericho but also sets up Eddie vs Claudio as well. Don’t think it was a mind blowing match but it was a solid, fun one.

• Advertisement

Mad to see a skewer spot on national TV even if Mox did hit them a little too hard haha.

Also TSC since you're in the States, if you happen to collect the figures at all - Target has all the WWE Legends and AEW Unrivaled figures on sale for a tenner a pop. Legends series isn't sold outside of Target and some good ones in the current line up if you're into that.

Advertisement