Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Gresham or Gargano either. Seen Tom Lawler been suggested as well. Thank god Okada showed up, it would have been very messy if he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Great to have the Rainmaker in AEW and very cool to see him on Dynamite, should please a few on here!

That Dudes with Attitude team is outrageous in the best possible way, Darby, Sting, Hiromu and Shingo is tasty. Naito would have been unreal, hopefully next time.

I think it will be Gresham as well. Andrade/Fenix for Rampage should be sick too.

I think considering the injury situation the card isn't looking half bad at all, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Okada is cool. The only one who has a big star aura around him.

Tanahashi has lovely hair though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thought the Christian promo started slow but had a phenomenal ending. Sleezeball heel Christian is brilliant.

the six man was fun. Cassidy vs Osprey should be brilliant fun.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know ninety percent of the NJPW talent, but I also feel it’s a fun idea for a show, and I do know enough to see the matches have real potential to be bangers. It’s interesting as a one off experiment, and something pretty fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't see it that way at all. Instead of replacing those guys think of the Cesaros of this world as replacing the Joey Janelas, Angelicos and Pretty Peter Avalons.

AEW a couple of years ago had tons of dross that needed upgrading - the obvious place the vast majority of that had to come from was WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Heel Christian Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JR really hyping up, putting over Okada in case he was not known

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I dunno. Those guys were jobbers, someone like Cesaro and Gargano are coming in as upper midcarders at the least which means it's guys like Starks, Hobbs, Page etc aren't getting pushed higher up the card like they deserve imo.

Also if the Danielson replacement is Gresham, that will suck. Sure he'll do a good match with ZSJ but he makes no sense for Blood and Guts, and he's unknown by most anyway so no need to hype him up by having him as a mystery.

It's a nice little match to kick things off on the buy-in too, Uemura and Coughlin especially on the Young Lions team are pretty seasoned at this stage, so should be a good test for the younger Ass boys particularly.

Also saw someone on Twitter naming the four man team Los Stingobernables! Perfect.

It's done now anyway, but just thinking about it maybe they would have been better booking it like the old WCW New Japan shows. As in book a mixture of matches, some AEW vs AEW, NJ vs NJ and some cross promotion stuff. For the first show anyway, it'd make it easier for fans to get to know the various wrestlers from the other promotion. It'd help the weekly shows continue in a more natural way too.

Surprised there's no gimmick matches, ladder match for the All Atlantic title or something similar. Agree with Rollie on Alex Coughlin, seen him before on one of their shows, was really impressed, glad he got on the card. Kevin Kelly said that he'd be there, hopefully he's on commentary, I enjoy his work.

Christian's promo was cool, liked the smirk behind Luchasaurus' back. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,867 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This was absolutely terrific.

Christian could be the best heel on AEW and boy did the fans make that segment

I also loved how CC is going to get luchasaurus over to his side.

Hopefully this changes luchasaurus up now, maybe a different mask and maybe a suit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was it me or did the Okada reaction seem piped in? Not saying he got a bad reaction but it went quickly from cheering to "Holy Sh!t" chants which seemed louder.

Can't wait for ZSJ vs CJ Perry.

It must be cool for people who know who these NJPW guys are. Like Darby naming their partners meant nothing to me. For all I knew they were NJPW's version of Mean Street Posse.

Apart from the tag titles, do you think any will change hands? Have FTR fought in Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭ThePott

That Christian promo was amazing, loved it! What a dick.

Glad Okada showed up, card would have felt off without him. That main event is going to bang.

The card has really pulled itself together even though I haven't loved the build.

As for ZSJ's opponent; I think it will be Gresham, I'd like it to be Cesaro. Totally out of the blue choice would be Chris Hero but I don't think he's done anything since leaving WWE. Either them or Nia Jax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cesaro is a possibility because it would have to be someone Bryan knows. Him hyping up Gresham would seem strange since what interactions has he had with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did people really think Okada wouldn't be on the show.

A great listen

I'm so happy he's enjoying life so much, he really is one of the best wrestlers in the world at present

If it was just Forbidden Door, Gresham would make some sense but with Blood and Guts, he doesn't fit at all. Cesaro has previous with Kingston from Chikara days and Cesaro and Regal have a history too (he was his retirement match). Gresham only makes sense in the technical wrestler Vs technical wrestler match. Makes no sense longer term as a member of BCC.

As for Chris Hero, I think him and Kingston legitimately don't like each other and it's not just Eddie being Eddie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭ThePott

Oh that's right I forgot about Blood and Guts with all that's going on. I think you're right about Hero and Kingston too, think I've heard that before. Not sure who it would be if not Cesaro.

Ishii is out of the All Atlantic match with an injury. Clark Connors is his replacement (I know nothing about this guy). Starting to think this thing is cursed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Struggling to be very interested in Forbidden Door. I'm sure I'll still buy it in the end and the matches will be good but it feels thrown together. The mass brawls aren't doing much to excite me. The injuries don't help its momentum, and I suppose also I'm just not that up to speed on NJPW. Obviously I know who the likes of Okada and Tanahasi are but I haven't seen them too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Funny seeing Ospreay on AEW... one of the few wrestlers I've met up close and personal at an OTT show and he is not a big man... extremely athletic but I wouldn't say he's 5'10" in person. Walter was there that night as well I would guess 6'2 or 3" but big and broad. Just interesting Ospreay looked big in that AEW ring by comparison to lots of the regulars. May just be that he bulked up in the time since but he made OC look like a scut there...

It's not so bad for us over here with the cheaper ppv prices but 50 dollars for this ppv in this climate is a very hard sell in the US.

Injuries have taken a toll (no Ishii and Miro faceoff now) but booking imo has not helped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Never even heard his name before but someone on Reddit said he's like Adam Page after taking a Mario mushroom.

What a perfect description.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

On the,flip side, if this show is in a h way successful, Forbidden Door 2 will have a tonne of people who missed the first show and can be in new dream matches on the second. Punk, Danielson, Omega, Ishii, Joe.

I think the card would look a lot better if the 4 way was split into 2 single matches (Cole Vs White and Okada Vs Hangman or the other way around). My worry with the PPV was that there would be too many multi man matches and it looks like that will be the case. 8 man tag, 6 man tag, 2 fatal four ways, 3 way tag title match etc. As others said, the injuries are a big factor though.

I think Gresham would be a massive disappointment as the mystery opponent. I think you just announce that match ahead of time. The way Danielson was selling it, it sounded like a debut and Gresham has already appeared in AEW. Would love Cesaro but I've always though that he'll eventually re-sign with WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Clark Connors is great, he's a local here in Defy and while he does look like Aldi Hangman, he will be big someday. He's definitely got all the tools.

On the PPV price, VPNs work perfectly with Fite, have never paid more than 20 for one here as a result.

• Advertisement

Connors might surprise a few on here, he's pretty good and has recently graduated from Young Lion status with the new gimmick.

It's a logical if not the most blockbuster replacement considering Ishii beat him in the final.

Advertisement