Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I can tell them what to do with their masks..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh it's obviously bull. This is a setup for the return to schools as said above, and to appease the worriers as the evenings get longer and colder.

They can absolutely fook off with this one. With all the other crap that's happening at the moment, they want to start the whole mask arguments again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Unless they are just covering themselves before dail break, so they don't have to come back, but what you said makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Actually.. it's probably also a useful tool to mandate fuel rationing by stealth in the autumn/winter.

Stay home for "health reasons" so the petrol pumps don't run dry (and cause a panic/more unrest) and the utility companies can bleed people dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's not even drafted. This won't be before the Dail for months.

Tbh I can see their rationale behind it (not that I agree with it, if you want to wear a mask wear one, if you don't grand, I don't care either way), it's more so if public health ever turn around and say yeah look you need to mandate masks in x,y & z then if as things stand it'd take government ages to get the bill drafted etc because there's nothing there now. Whereas whenever this goes through the Dail and lets say for example come November public health advice coming from whoever the CMO is then says you need to mandate in x,y&z then government aren't having to start from scratch and have this available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

maybe ...

there was no real clamour for this legislation though so it's all the governments own doing

creating an issue that wasn't there

there is “no public health rationale” for masks to return end of story

when that advice changes we'll reconsider

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I get your point of view, but if the advice changes in say December for example they'd literally be able to do nothing as it stands & you'd have this pissing around for weeks on end while legislation gets drawn up etc.

They're allowing themselves to have something there if the advice changes.

Mountain out of a mole hill here by everyone (media & government included). It's literally arse pocket legislation if the winter goes tits up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

'Time to get out masks again' - WHO envoy

The WHO's special envoy on Covid-19 has said that "it's time to get the masks out again".

Speaking to RT's Today with Claire Byrne, Dr David Nabarro said: "I would like everybody to be carrying some nice, good masks, clean masks in a little pouch in their briefcase, in their handbag or in their inside pocket."

😆😆😆😆

I personally couldn’t give a toss about masks but if they are brought back in what will the next restriction be on the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Is anybody even listening to this kind of advice anymore? From everyday experience and observation, I would say very very few.

• Advertisement

Correct. I was on the Ulysses over the weekend to Wales and I didn’t see one person on the vessel with a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

They aren't even doing Covid tests pre admission now. When I had my surgery a month ago the bit at the top about having a covid test was scribbled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Claire Byrne, WHO, Dr Nabaro, RTE and masks themselves… all these are a useless fear inducing waste of time.

That's a bit of a stretch and a really nasty thing to say. I'm a person with a compromised immune system and I don't expect people to mask up around me. I had COVID, it was no big deal. A cough, which was probably worse because I'd had a tube down my throat during a planned surgery and everything smelled like cheap brown sauce for a few days. Yes, some people are very vulnerable to it but we have to get the hell on with life.

Lots of things can cause miscarriage. A pregnant woman could eat food that's been prepared on a surface where raw meat has been and miscarry because of the bacteria that was on that surface. You or anyone else wearing a mask won't prevent a miscarriage. I think people need to move past this idea that masks somehow make them wonderfully virtuous and save lives, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

My comment had nothing to do with masks, it was targeted at somebody bragging about not even taking a quick antigen test, which I think is still available for free from the HSE if you fill out an online form that you think you have it, despite being a suspected COVID case

With regards to today's mask legislation, I'm not immediately worried, if it stopped at mask wearing while in certain settings would even be ok but I do fear that it may be a preface to more severe restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You should have realised what hole you were in when "on Claire Byrne" is referenced. Also inclined to view this as much ado nowt but given the psychological hangover of COVID anything that could be construed to be a return really sets people off.

The reason I did post it because I thought it was amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Absolute and Total Bunkum from what has become a cast of the "Usual Suspects".

What is missing from that quote is Mr Nabarro's reasoning behind his "Nice,clean Mask" bullshytt.

He said that there are two situations when a person should decide to slip a mask on.

Firstly, if a person begins to feel unwell and they cannot get home quickly to isolate and take a test, they should at least put a mask on to prevent the spread of illness to others.

Secondly, if a person finds themselves in a crowded environment without good ventilation, they should put on a mask.

This from a so-called Health Professional ?

Get yourself a life and a proper Job Mr Nab,and desist from playing the out-of-tune fiddle for the fragrant Claire,even if it will do your standing with Tedros some good.

It is now very obvious that the FEAR machine is being wound up yet again,perhaps to divert attention from other more interesting developments such as Paul Reid's sudden desire to spend more time with his family 😉

( I wounder what Paul's pension arrangements will be upon departure ?)

If Claire Byrne was even a half decent journalist she would be setting the agenda herself,and asking the questions that are on many peoples lips,since the reality of misinformation and deception by Governments & assorted Covid "Stakeholders" started to filter into mainstream media.

Constantly using her programme to peddle quackery and pseudo-scientists debatable opinions is way beyond what her audience needs,but hey, it's what they'll get !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Yeah, we've all heard all of this before, Only a precaution, probably won't happen. 2 weeks to flatten the curve. It's bullshit, if they weren't planning on doing it they wouldn't be drafting legislation. I hope this time people push back and say enough. It was a total overreaction to a virus that was not life threatening to most people. This time around there's no pandemic payment there, it's been spent housing and providing for people who come from a country with a very low vaccine take up. MM was warned not to touch that money, but virtue signalling and a pat on the head from his masters in Brussels took precedent.

Employers see it as just another illness. People with COVID go to work as normal because they aren't ill enough to justify staying at home and many can't afford to live on the Social Welfare illness payment for the days they miss at work.

I'm sure Claire Byrne is knicker wettingly excited by it all. She's got nothing to say that's of any real interest to most people but her going back to full on COVID hysteria will bring in all the nervous Nellies who spent their days curtain twitching on their neighbours during restrictions.

Unvaccinated were also barred from places like gyms, cinemas and hairdressers/barbers. Some people have very short memories. Nobody lost their jobs alright, but they were made to feel like lepers, who were too unclean to share spaces with the vaccinated.

• Advertisement

That was an excessive aberration to encourage vaccination, which should be forgotten unless you are into the grudge nursing business. Like people do their day spas, purging these pointless COVID memories should also be part of your daily programme.

I'm sure plenty of the clappy seals and businesses who agreed with and cheered on these measures at the time would like us all to forget how they prostrated themselves at the altar of Saint Tony aright. I won't be forgetting anyway, cheers for your concern though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There is currently a 1 year delay in breast cancer screening directly due to Covid, 1 year can be the difference between a stage 1 and stage 4 diagnosis. we’re going to be seeing the true cost in lives in the next few years to the insanity that gripped us. But I’m sure drafting legislation on masks is a much more useful use of government time.

The government are not responsible for the screening programme and it was a public health emergency. Producing draft legislation, which we may or may not need, is still good planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The government is responsible for the delays which came about as a direct result of the ‘rules’ on social distancing. This is the reason given on the website of breast check- social distancing… now that was worth dying for.

Well, the government took its advice from the medical people so they were not exactly making that call. Lots of medical stuff was cancelled or postponed. It was the competing needs of Breast Check and other programmes and the need to protect the population at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No, I think that is clear. As it should've been from just after lockdown one in June 2020, people are fully aware this is just a bad cold for the vast majority of the population with or without vaccines and that it is only the very old and vulnerable that need to be concerned.

I feel COVID chats in real life don't happen anymore and I don't see much appetite from anyone to reengage with any restrictions. This legislation was probably to appease the twitchers at the INMO and other cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's probably sensible legislation, looks similar to the "Plan B" legislation they have in Westminster. If used properly it is not a bad idea

I'd be surprised if they ever implemented it given the way the numbers are going and the way numbers are likely to go in the future. Of course I was surprised with the 8pm closure of pubs we had last Christmas so maybe my opinion is not the best example

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

More talk of masks been reintroduced by our Government in the coming months. Was offered a 5th shot, 2nd booster. No thanks not anymore.

Advertisement