Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Claire Byrne is an embarrassment. Should get a real job that actually contributes something to society 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And what's going on over there? Dying in the streets again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Where are you going to fly to? It’s rampant everywhere. Covid is with us for life now but it’s currently peaking. It’s over regarding no more restrictions and rightly so. One can be cautious if they like.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No. The place is insane. Surgical masks mandatory even in outdoor places, ‘show me your papers’ everywhere you go, those who aren’t triple vaxed are outcasts, the place is a dictatorship, horrible place.

I’ll never complain about our little Emerald Isle ever again, was I glad to get home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Hospital numbers down again this week, 200 less than this day last week, this wave is clearly on a downward trajectory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I don't want to want to hold individuals responsible to account because of a virus.

I want to hold them to account for ego-driven lies, pursuing personal agendas, deliberately misleading the public, deliberating undermining current government policy, refusing to take responsibility, failing to follow international health advice in the middle of a health crisis, frequently addressing the pandemic on a political basis over a medical one, lack of transparency, and questionable competence.

I find not doing that quite absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well,Holy God Miley,would you look at the cut of this !

NPHET is dead....long live NPHET...?

New Covid-19 advisory group members

Chair: Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn

Chief Clinical Officer of the HSE Dr Colm Henry

Chair of the IEMAG Prof Philip Nolan

Chair of the HIQA Covid-19 Expert Advisory Group Prof Máirín Ryan

Chair of the AMRIC Dr Eimear Brannigan

Director, HPSC Dr Derval Igoe

Regional Director of Public Health Dr John Cuddihy

General Practitioner Dr Tadhg Crowley

President RCPI Prof Mary Horgan

Consultant Microbiologist Dr Anne Rose Prior

Consultant in Infectious Diseases Prof Paddy Mallon

ESRI Behavioural Research Unit Prof Pete Lunn

Director, National Virus Reference Laboratory Dr Cillian de Gascun

Professor of Physical Chemistry Prof John Wenger

Senior Lecturer in Biochemistry Dr Anne Moore

Professor of Biochemistry and Immunology Prof Luke O'Neill

Professor, Chair in Comparative Immunology Prof Clíona O’Farrelly

Head of Health Protection Division, DOH Mr Fergal Goodman

Representative of the Department of An Taoiseach - to be confirmed

I think it was Gene Kerrigan who coined the phrase "Round up the usual suspects" during the troubles,so it's good to see the principle still lives.

As before,it's all about following the money.....😳

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Good god no

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Small talent pool in this country for a group pf that size and the top table is a given, the rest are likely to be at or near the top of their fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Finally the 'emergency' is over so we can just scrap that word and give the organisation a new name so it wont have to step down when an 'emergency' is over and be an 'advisory' group of 'experts' who have proven to be very accurate on 'the science' around Covid to give guidance, i mean expert advice, to the government to hide behind. So they can say 'we only give advice' and the government can say they 'acted on the best advice'so no one is directly to blame, really.

I would think a list of all the dubious assertions the members have made based on presumptions about the unsettled 'science' would be enough never to engage them again. Simple presentations of complex systems using dubious methods.

But no, they double down making it institutional. When Covid passes and another uncertain virus hits this 'Covid' advisory group can just simply change their name again like a good lawyer would suggest.

We as a people are extremely greatful to Tony for his leadership during Covid that we will accomodate him in whatever form of organisation he wants to set up and continue to pay him handsomely for that.

I have a suggestion: send the members to Denmark to study how the science is properly done and gag mr Nolan for saying anything about modelling ever again.

That this man is part of the new organisation is an insult to science and to the irish people.

I dont see any journalist questioning this set up. But then, everybody moved over to the war in Ukraine. Nobody cares anymore so this announcement stayed in the periphery. A missed opportunity.

But then, none of the members would feel any shame about things they possibly could have gotten wrong even in hindsight.

The saying' things were done wrong but not by ME' applies here.

All they got was praise from the government, the ones doing the hiring. This whole politburo got their heads so far up their arses they wouldnt recognise any possible mistake they might have made.

I would call that criminal..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

All medical people again as far as I can see. No other opinions wanted or entertained. The worse you are at your job in this country the further you get.

The inclusion of Luke O'Neill certainly entertained me. I presume it was due to his ability to be all things to all listeners via his Pat Kenny gig ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Interesting developments here,all the same...

Dr Holohan not at all pleased that his,rather unusual path into Academe,was questioned by a section of the political divide,but I found this quote to be particularly stinging.....

"Following my departure, I look forward to sharing my knowledge and expertise outside of the public service."

The mailed fist directed at the ungrateful unbelievers ?

It seems as if the Taoiseach's very public doubts were sufficient to pull the handbrake.

All that remains is to see whereabouts he goes in the "outside the Public Service" world,as this will most likely be a template for the other well-placed "names"

I suggest it will be a very short list of potential clients ?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

He’s been courted and has enough lined up in the private sector to see him up for rest of his working life. His attitude is wholly disrespectful and dismissive upon being questioned, but then that’s nothing new to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brings back memories

Bloody had tickets to a who gig in the 3Arena for the 18th March 2020 and we all know what happened a few days before that

'Outside the public service' so what about the 'Covid advisory group' then?

Am i missing something apart from the Trinity position issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's in the public service and he's not leaving till July. If it is still needed then it will continue to be headed by the new CMO.

Phew,thank God that it's all above board and transparent.

And here's people thinkin....."Shenanigains" 🤠

• Advertisement

Nope,you're missing nuttin cos there's nothing to see here....just move along please...keep moving...some other interesting stuff will be along in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Tony Holohan won’t be taking up the position in Trinity because he didn’t have the full support of the Taoiseach. The neck of the Taoiseach to investigate a controversial and unusual appointment that appeared to benefit just one university at no expense to that university but paid out of public purse. That’s just disrespectful, obviously Tony Holohan is above such things as applying for a position that is normally awarded after open competition.

And why do the keep calling it an ‘open-ended’ secondment - he’s made it crystal clear he won’t be returning to CMO job.

There may well be a place for him in academia and had the DoH created a role for him as pandemic/public health expert to the benefit of multiple universities and colleges that would be an entirely different setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The canonisation of Tony Holohan continues in the media and from some of the politicians now lamenting the loss of experience and expertise when he quits.

People have short memories. It wasn't that long ago that they were giving out about him bypassing the politicians by putting pressure on them in the media before making the official recommendations.

It's like living in a nation of goldfish and magpies.

I think politician's ( and some of the wider public including most of the media) perception on TH can be summed up as: appearing steadfast and forceful in times of uncertainty, a handy deflector in terms of government policy, a person to trust in times of fear and anxiety.

Never mind real data, mistakes and overblown assertions about the reliability of the Covid science.

People dont look too closely anyway. They dont dig in and perceptions are mostly based on faith in what is being presented to them by the media who set the parameters.

It is no surprise.

Our Tony steered the ship through rocky waters. Now the irish people should be grateful and offer him a steady career in public service.

I actually think it would be a good thing to have him move to the private sector, a rather common revolving door mechanism so we dont have to continue paying him the amount of ridiculous money we currently are.

Just dont ever let him back in. Im afraid he might re enter.

Or he could go to the WHO. Lots of likeminded people there shouting from the rooftops except not when it is needed like stopping flights from China and the spread of the pandemic.

TH should feel right at home..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes once the private sector realise he has fcuk all to offer they’d be getting rid of him sharpish or moving him aside. There’s no way he’d survive a private sector team (the top down talking down strategy rarely ends well). But would be great to be shot of him so he can do no more direct harm to the taxpaying public.

I noticed he was getting much more conservative in his talking lately, specifically questioning why people weren't wearing masks at Paddys Day parades. It's sad as he had a lot of criticism for NPHET on PK in the early days, peak criticism when it came to antigen testing.

Better to have him on the inside talking out might be the thinking here for NPHET 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Hi Red,

In light of recent events in Shanghai, would you still stand by your above post ?

Just some more relevant info

You have heard about them executing people's pets too yeah ?

Yes I'll stand by my post about china being more free than us for most of 2020 and 2021, unless you can prove otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Chinese probably are hiding information about COVID then the rest of the world. Why would they go into complete lockdown when they normally don't give a shite about human rights. Could a new more lethal strain be circulating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya this new "lethal" strain gives one a runny nose in addition to a cough. Frightening stuff. Stay safe.

Advertisement