Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Hamiltons a made guy innit, he'll be looked after by the capo dei capi in Montrosia till the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭RoTelly

He has been presenting on Lyric FM since the start AFAIK, if not for at least the last decade if not more.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Perhaps if she'd done something rather than continuing with what Noel Curran had done, while he was their. She seems to know nothing about the service she runs. What happened 1 RTÉ policy. Has she been an effective DG? As we come to the end of her term.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

Did you not know that he has a weekly column on classical music in the Review section of the Indo on Saturdays?

Why would you expect to be able to use the RTÉ Player when you're out of the country? That's like UK viewers wanting to be able to use the BBC iPlayer when they're outside the UK.

How are RTÉ and BBC Studios able to get a third series out of 'Smother', which is shown by RTÉ and then by the subscription channel 'W' in the UK?! By the way, I never watched 'Smother'.

It took me a while to realise that you were being sarcastic when you said that TG4 isn't a PSB.

W is no longer subscription and I think it aired on Alibi originally which I think is still subscription. Watch the first season it was a bit meh so didn't look at the second. It's a BBC Studios production for RTÉ.... and UKTV but I am not sure how that works. (BBC Studios own UKTV).

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Well why not? It is 2022 not 1999. I can sign into Netflix or Disney from abroad.

RTÉ are working on a sign on, though I hope that it is a choice rather than something necessary, and I wonder if the sign on will allow you the same access when abroad. As I say there are EU rule surrounding pay tv but I am not sure if they extend to local providers, but you need to ask them if you can sign on abroad to gain access to RTÉ, TG4 and VMTV and other channels that they provide.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Licence renewal came in the post recently. Given the ineptitude of RTE and An Post to collect this from large number of householders - you start wondering why bother to pay. If the neighbour up the road isn't arsed and nothing is done about it, then are we the fools?

So back to RTÉ here's head of Yuff TV on why PSB matters ... now just remember what Dee Frobes says

Over the last number of years, the top 10 earners are earing almost 40% less than they were in 2008 we've cut funding to children's content by 75% since 2017... It's less than 1% of our total spend. And these people this content are bringing in commercial revenue and is fulfilling a public service [remit]...

What they do and what they bring, not just on screens, but out and about and being part of the fabric is important... I understand why people feel that way, but the numbers have reduced and it's something we have to keep an eye on. you can be assured that we will continue to ignore children's content.

Now over to the head of Yuff TV...

https://www.rte.ie/eile/2022/0614/1304715-suzanne-kelly-on-why-public-media-matters/

______

Yesterday

But Netflix and Disney aim their output at a global audience - the BBC does not do that with the iPlayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭WealthyB

Sold the TV years ago. Got an ex demo Mitsibushi 55" ex demo display monitor instead. Cancelled TV subscription. Got an Nvidia Shield instead and an IPTV subscription. Signed the declaration on the back of the licence that I was now exempt, and not once has anyone called on us or followed up. In the meantime I've literally saved thousands of euro over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What legal IPTV subscriptions are there in Ireland? Presumably they cost something, so that offsets your TV licence savings somewhat.

IPTV subscriptions themselves are only illegal for the seller, not the buyer. As long as, as the buyer, you're not downloading/recording streams, and as long as you're not rebroadcasting the iptv service, I can't find any law that's being broken. Streaming (even illegally obtained content) on its own breaks no laws bizarrely.

Edit - my iptv costs €80 per annum versus €360pa for the most basic tv package + €160pa for rte tax, which makes for €520 per annum.

Post edited by WealthyB on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

You need to understand broadcaster rights

yes you have a Netflix account and sign into it in different countries but you don’t get the same programs in every country

loke my account for Netflix is based in Mexico yet I get the Irish backlog because that’s what Netflix ireland can show

On Disney they own all the shows across teh world so it’s a bit differney

RTE buys the rights for ireland, so BBC buys for UK. If RTE was available across the world then why should the BBC buy the rights as viewers can just log onto rte player and watch.

Hence why copyright etc is a huge thing, if rte player was available outside ireland it would be breaking laws and would be bankrupt in a few hours, probably bankrupt all of ireland, as companies sued

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Oh look its not a huge deal and i'd never even watch the rte player at home. I thought maybe they could give u a log in pin when u buy the licence or something. But as you say there are laws and what not that don't allow this. Fairly first world problem for me to be whinging about

• Advertisement

Not only that but 34% of what An Post "collect" is actually from Dept of Welfare. Though they changed their count this year.

An Post collect 950,000 TV licenses or there abouts in 2021, they get 10m to 15m for that service!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Who thought some blond woman singing off a balcony in Cuba of all places would make a tv show. She's a singer I have never heard of.

So the Future of Media Commission report is to be published.

Funding for RTÉ recommendations to be ignored by government.

Instead government will now set up a new working group and enact legislation so that everyone will pay the license.

Right, good job everyone!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TBH I don't think the people on the Future of Media Commission were experts, I think they were following a set of conclusions, and it was ultimately going to be a waste of time and energy.

The government should have met with An Post and asked them why they were only able to collect 50% of the license fees, and how had it come to a situation were €12m was being given to An Post for the last 20 years with no real change on the numbers not paying.

I'd say only about 20% of the 25% that aren't collected represent people without a "TV" and that wouldn't have been the case 20 or 10 years ago.

Just to clarify my figures here are best guess.

1. TV Licences collected 50%
    2. Welfare paid licenses 25%
    3. TV Licences evaded 20%
    4. TV Licences avoided 5%

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

The 50 Conclusion which could be problably just 3 (and may an DIE 4th)

RefHeading

2-1Valuing Public Service Content as critical public infrastructure

2-2Addressing Environmental Sustainability

2-3EDI monitoring, data and research

2-4EDI Standards

2-5Diversity Boards and Leadership

2-6Diversity Education, Training and Employment

2-7Accessibility

5-1New Public Funding Model for Public Service Media

5-2Interim funding arrangements for the 2021-2023 period

5-3Increasing Accountability and Transparency

5-4Audience Engagement

5-5Interim funding for RTÉ

5-6Focus on Value for Money and Efficiencies

5-7RTÉ to invest in innovation

5-8Developing commercial revenues

5-9RTÉ to reduce deficit financing and stabilise expenditure

5-10Collaboration with independent production sector

6-1Convert the Broadcasting Fund into a Media Fund

6-2Establish a Local Democracy Reporting Scheme

6-3Establish supports for digital transformation

6-4Establish News Reporting Schemes

6-5Establish Courts Reporting Schemes

6-6Establish a Media Access and Training Scheme

6-7Establish a Community Media Scheme

6-8Funding Level for Media Fund

6-9Implement the Copyright Directive, assess its effectiveness and take further action if necessary

6-10Examine indirect tax measures to support PSCPs

6-11Explore collaboration opportunities for PSM content re-use

6-12Independent oversight of all public funding streams for journalism

6-13All Island Media Economy

7-1Editorial control for TG4 over its news services

7-2Comprehensive review of the provision of Irish language services

7-3RTÉ should give a greater priority to the Irish language

7-4Implement Irish language provisions in funding schemes

7-5Review of the Archiving Scheme

7-6Establish audiovisual content levy and fund

7-7Audiovisual Strategy to establish Ireland as a key source of entertainment content for the international on-demand market

7-8Improve investment in Independent Production

7-9Develop a Strategic Plan for sports broadcasting and promotion

7-10Diversity and Inclusion strategy for sports reporting and broadcasting

7-11Education and training

8-1Objects and Principles of PSM

8-2Independence and Funding of PSM

8-3Resourcing Effective Regulation and Development

8-4Regulation of the Independent Sector

8-5Changes to Regulatory Provisions for PSC Funding

8-6Prominence-related data

8-7Defamation

8-8Disinformation

8-9Providing a statutory basis for the Media Commission’s expanded remit

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It’s no biggie to say you don’t pay the tv licence because you pirate

If they eventually go down Dennis Naughton's route of the "Broadcast Tax" then I'll upgrade the monitor for a 4k telly but until then I'll sail the seven seas, me laddo 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Nice day they picked to produce the great report after two years

Advertisement