Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think Ray's show would be called "Can you believe that they have me this **** show and pay me good money for it?, what did I have to do? ... jusnot be on the radio as much as I was before".

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

God, will he bring on that Jack Nicholson impersonator again? He tried to pass the buck on that 'joke', but that decision rested with him, and it was a total disaster. Should have killed the show right then.

The audience reaction goes from 'Oh MY GOD!!!' to 'are you sh**ting me???!!!'.

Also... The Den. Half a million quid to host a 'new' version of the Den. I avoided it. I knew the twitter 'raves' wouldn't equal an audience, and sure enough- I was right. The petition didn't do much either.

The Den as a family show could work but it needs more things moving than what the den was, as a show interspacing children's programming (and as the CBBC exits we should note that Hacker T Dog is pretty much doing what The Den did but with more than one camera). Ten times better than the awful New Years pilot hosted by Doireann and Dermot, and at least 5 times better than Home Advantage which got a second series.

I don't know how RTÉ were able to drop their Sat night chat show with no real replacement, Tommy is a short run and Ask Me Anything was just like any other TV chat show and also a short run. They also got away with not pushing Ray D'Arcy, and when your paying him that much the least you can do is get him to do some continuity announcing. Does he have a sponsor for his radio show?

Now that I think about it The Den regardless of audience was 20 times better than most programming on RTÉ!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any Second Captains listeners here? Was laughing my hole off during the week when Ken Early came out with this:

"Watching the Late Late Show means you've failed at life, you have nothing better to be doing on a Friday night"

He's not wrong. He thinks cogently and writes fluently about football RTE...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The Meaning of Life was a load of bollocks even when GB was doing it. The "fuss" whipped up over the Stephen Fry episode was totally cringeworthy.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

She bangs the drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

How do RTE so consistently manage to have their audio/visual feeds out of sync for live football games? I don't think I've ever seen any other channel do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,991 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just listening to the advert for the TV licence that has been repeated D nauseum for the last couple of years on rte radio.

At the end, it says "brought to you by the government of ireland".

Wondering, does the gov actually pay rte more taxpayers money for every time that advert is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I was watching old races from Punchestown recently on YT, and from about 2017 to 2020, they somehow managed to have the track commentators audio overlapping the RTE commentators audio. Pure amateur hour stuff.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

No. I can confirm that neither Government of Ireland nor An Post pay for the TV License advertisement.

I can also confirm in my honest opinion that Civil Servants (I was one once) are largely out of their depth.

I had a small discussion with one of the AP's perhaps even a PO, in the Dept to ask this question, she was troubled to think that the Dept would pay for such adverts and even more confounded when I told her it was the responsibility of the collector of the fees to advertise and not RTÉ. She said "you mean to say to me that you think that An Post should spend on TV advertising for the license fee because they collect it ... sure that would eat into their fee for collection."

But then here are a group of people that think that RTÉ should pay for Oireachtas TV to go on Saorview and not the Oireachtas themselves like very other channel on Saorview.

______

Yesterday

I think it was more how 'embarrassing' it was, more than anything- that Fry could be prosecuted under blasphemy laws. Really? We still have those?? REALLY?

The show was...silly, but I think it was proof of Byrne's power as an interviewer- he was still grabbing headlines. RTE kind of kept him on the roster, because they were very loyal to him. (And why wouldn't they-in his day the LLS pulled in so much money, it meant the license fee never had to be increased. Soon as he stepped down, the money stopped pouring in).

The Den in it's heyday-mid 80s to mid 90s, was genuinely appointment TV. Apparently they showed it in lunchrooms of Colleges and Universities back in the day. When 'the aliens' left, it went downhill, fast.

But you can't 'recapture' that magic-it was lightning in a bottle. And you certainly can't capture it in these modern times. Some of the jokes/ things that they did on that show would get you 'cancelled' nowadays.

Also, things are different now-Ray D'arcy is getting close to half a million euro a year. The American president doesn't make that much. He seemed to care more when he was earning far less.

Couple that with many of them now having agents (something unheard of back in the day) and there's a whole layer of issues that mean the recent 'The Den' was 'The Den-in name only'. (It's cancellation, after supposedly a second season of the revival show was on the way, felt like someone's agent got greedy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,991 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The mouthpiece Philip Boucher-Hayes should be suspended or sacked for tweeting such rubbish to us plebs who pay his salary...

'Check your privilege'...

Absolute fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there not a lot of privilege in that family when it comes to getting employment outta rte?

@RabbleRouser2k I'd say it continued to the late 90s just before it went to a 12 hour day, when really it was no longer a children's programme and more continuity, even when they striped the show of Socky, Dustin and Snozer and only had a presenter, in a white studio (though I'd stopped watching at that stage).

I agree it was The Den in name only in reality RTÉjr and TRTÉ should never have dropped the brand or the type of characters surrounding the brand. It was interesting to see that Martin's Shed never made a come back.

Either way RTÉ messed up with Ray D'Arcy and seem not to be able to admit that, as I say their only way around his fee has been to demote him to more hours on Radio, while is collogues cut their hours in return for a pay cut.

Imagine how much RTÉ is paying for Angela Scanlon, the female version of Craig Doyle.

______

Yesterday

The media landscape changed so much, but RTE weren't willing to change to adapt to it. Like everything, the internet arrived, and it gave many people an outlet. Few got chances or asked to audition for an RTE show. But few of them got hired, if any. (I know one or two who got auditions- got a trial 'clip', but then nothing.)

The 'Martin's Shed' thing was a youtuber who was spotted by some RTE person, and thus gave her a show. Just from googling, she did Ace My Space, and then that Gamer show, and and Martin's Shed. Seems she got an audience on youtube, and then suddenly RTE thought 'she's popular' hoping to get that audience for TV. But they're different beasts, TV and the internet, I mean. The audience rarely comes with 'em.

I think with Ray, RTE thought they were getting RTE from back in the days of 'The Den'... and instead got 'Irish Bill Maher'-opinionated on everything, clueless on practically everything.

Angela proved to be another major loss for RTE. I think that show she hosted was not a success. The comparison between Tommy Tiernan and herself was pretty apparent. And it was delayed for a few years too, on account of everything. Now the chance of another series is scant, on account of Scanlon being on maternity leave.

I have no problem with the Youtuber presenter but it seemed like such a short run and nothing after it. It really wasn't suitable as just a 5 minute series to camera.

Ask me anything is coming back for a second series according to the press.

As I say she'll be given a huge number of shows and changes of format until she's happily presenting sports on ITV.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

@RoTelly

Either way RTÉ messed up with Ray D'Arcy and seem not to be able to admit that, as I say their only way around his fee has been to demote him to more hours on Radio, while is collogues cut their hours in return for a pay cut.

There was a conversation on his thread pg 115 + where I put forward a theory as to why they won't/can't get shot of him.

GZ

"Of all the terrible contractors (from the same stable) in RTE, Ray is the absolute worst and would be the easiest to get rid of - or so you might think - As above, it would be a massive loss of face for RTE to get rid of him and then, consider this...If they did get rid what would happen? He has been outed as a rubbish presenter and the likelihood of him getting another position paying big money is slim. Prob end up with a €150k job somewhere (if lucky). The can would be well and truly opened, with worms everywhere! The Q's that would follow:- Why did RTE pay him so much for so long? - If D'Arcy can only get €150k elsewhere, what does that say about the RTE mantra - 'We have to pay the contractors the big money or they'll go elsewhere'?"

and...

My point is that RD is still there because of the sh!tstorm that would follow for all the contractors if he didn't get his contract renewed and ended up with a massively reduced package elsewhere (which is what would happen) and the awkward questions that RTE would have to answer. An effective DG would jump at the chance to use RD (after he was turfed out) as an example to reduce all contractors fees but Dee is just chronically incompetent.

That imo, is the situation the national broadcaster is in. They've painted themselves into a corner.

• Advertisement

@Gen.Zhukov

Isn't this Ray's own problem rather than RTÉ's. If RTÉ don't want rid they should just drop his fee, if he doesn't want to take a pay cut he can go. But where does he go? Bauer are probably unwilling to take him back, Today FM is doing fine without him, while I don't imagine he'd be able to improve Moncreiff's numbers and that the only slot on Newstalk that would suit him. So what have RTÉ to lose by dropping his wages, face? Do they think keeping him on €450,000 for the next five years is a good plan?

As far as I can tell RTÉ give 5 year contracts out, their first contract with Ray would have ended in 2020, would they have renewed it at the same level? I imagine that he got €450,000 in 2020 as per that contract.

I find it hard to put any RTÉ personality on any of the other national competing radio stations. I can see why Newstalk took PK, to highlight other shows and to increase his slot, he did both, I can't see that adding another RTÉ person to the mix would massive increase what PK has already achieved.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Ro, there are too many moving parts/changes/unknowns happening and too many actors involved for us to make any accurate assessment of what is really happening. Add to that, the other elements - (the internal RTE politics, the NKM connection/dominance, the reluctance of Forbes to release figures) etc, etc.

This is the link of NK throwing a strop when Ray lost the TV gig

The 450k fig is for 2019 - It has been reduced since then - but we don't know by how much cos Dee is a bit reluctant to publish the figs as it might show up her big announcement (Nov 19) of a 15% cut for the high earners, to be a load of horse

This is the very reason that Forbes is not eager to release the figs. It didn't quite pan out as planed.

Yeah it wasn't until I had counted 5 years realized that Ray's pay should have been cut in 2020 for the next 5 years. DF has said RTÉ will release 2020 in 2022 but as they release 2017, 18 and 19 in 2021 I wonder if they will keep that promise.

DF and Moya D are on their way out so I don't think either will care, MD is finishing up in Nov and DF in June next year.

______

Yesterday

Never ever let it be forgotten that he is the so-called 'journalist' who bought Pamela Whatzername's fairy story hook, line and sinker. An absolute embarrassment to broadcasting. The absolute stink of arrogance off that tweet is a disgrace.

I noticed that the debacle in Dublin Airport from some twitter users has been called a first world problem, but without actually mentioning the airport or some people have liked his initial reply on twitter. It's as if they don't want to say "check your privilege" but that's what they are thinking.

The running of an airport is not a first world problem, third world countries also have airports to run.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Actually, flying in many third world countries can be a real pleasure. Like it was back in the 60s or 70s. The likes of Ryanair can't get in there and they appreciate the tourist dollar.

It is understood bosses won’t be hoping for the new show to be developed for September but will instead take their time to create something new.

Re: Claire Byrne Live replacement.

It is now June... then you have July ... and then August, you also want Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec, suppose the new desk won't be ready until February.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rte-bosses-searching-entirely-different-27096176

______

Yesterday

That last line -'Philip was unavailable for comment'... *snort*

Re: Claire Byrne... will they possibly give a gig to Pat Kenny? He's been itching to return. Maybe Sean O'Rourke now that he's no longer in the dog house for his 'Covid party'. He's already got an upcoming gig with a documentary on FF/ FG.

Sounds like her show 'AMA' was cancelled. The format didn't work with Covid and all, and I get the feeling it didn't grab the audience like they'd hoped.

@RabbleRouser2k

But we don't understand the mind of RTÉ people, they ... they brought back ... back ... Finding Joy ... how? what? why?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I'd normally jump on the 'say something critical about Amy Huberman' thing, but her dad died. It wouldn't be the time or the place. (and that's not an attack on you or anyone.)

Also.. Bridget and Eamonn... who watches that? Genuinely? Who watches it? Who are the fans of it? Has anyone brought it up in conversation? And how many series did it get?

Now on the other hand, RTE also gave a 'comedy' show to Nadia Forde... someone who has less comedy credentials than I do. And I have none.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4293964&tpl=archnews&force=1

Advertisement