Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So this is what is happening from what I understand re: The Licence Fee

1. A working group included a list of stakeholders is going to be set up to report on the Licence Fee by November.
    2. The budget will outline an some extra money for RTÉ why An Post sort out the collection of the fee.
    3. Meantime those avoiding or evading the fee will continue to do so while the government will make up those fees in the budget
    4. In other words no change yet but those of you foolish enough to pay for the licence continue to do so while we will pay for the TV licence spongers.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Look 2.4m profit. Just don't mention how that could have been potentially €10m had the NSO moved across to the NCH as planned, but sure who's having an existential crisis!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Marcos

Well RTE had a good covid anyway with yesterdays figures showing revenue increasing €13million on last year, and reporting a surplus two years in a row. So no doubt they'll be banging that drum again, after all it's in their financial interest to do so.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

If only the NSO had moved to the NCH as was supposed to happen in 2021, I wonder why the NCH and RTÉ were unable to make the transfer happen in 2021 lossing RTÉ 8m in fund, tut tut tut.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTÉ spent €4.3m more on staff and contractors last year despite aim to cut costs

Just more proof that RTE say one thing and do another and how the hell does it cost you more in staffing costs when the country was shut down and you were taking money off the government to pay peoples wages???

The management are not fit for purpose - they should be forced to reduce staffing and costs

2FM has turned a corner, they've turned a corner, just took them 10 years and nearly 50million euro from the license fee.

RTÉ 2FM’s Dan Healy said he is happy with listenership figures and that the “two big risks” he took in shaking up the station have paid off.

I think he might consider bring back Dempsey at this point!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They had non stop advertising from the government, every single slot filled with covid information, probably paid for by the taxpayer at top dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Piffling makey uppey figures - when it stands on its own through advertising then that is a sign of they're doing something right, not by being bailed out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Marcos

They are indeed. So where can people find the form to opt out of the licence fee as they are moving etc? I want to pass this onto someone who has finally had enough.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Yeah it is if they are not corrupt they are incompetent.

Have they made any moves to even change the grading system in the company or this just something they say they are looking at.

Here is a company who was give the opportunity to divulge itself of the NSO (worth a saving of 7m) in 2021, only this company with their existential crisis was only able to move the company over in 2022, after 4 years of negotiations with the NCH!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's time this contractor nonsense was done away with.

For all intents and purposes, Claire Byrne, Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy etc al, are rte employees. Its time they were offered a proper contract with rte, and stop this tax evading , private business supplying a lifetime presenter to rte.

And give them the same 25 days holidays the rest of us get, instead of them being able to doss off their job anytime the mood takes them.

NIMAN your doing well with 25 days :)

I sadly counted up the number days hols for both Byrne and Tubs

Tubs had 39 last year

Byrne had 42

Byrne takes most of them during August but is only up to 25days so she'll be on and of the air much more between now and Xmas.

Both are basically taking a week off every month.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Guy on Gript praising France for abolishing TV licence and asking why can't we do the same

The state now proposes to fund public service broadcasting through VAT.

Not sure he grasps that this would be in effect a universal no-opt-out licence with 100% compliance.

the trend has been for countries that did force its citizens on pain of fines and imprisonment to have a TV licence to scrap it. Since 2000, that has included Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Romania and Sweden.

I wonder how many of these have also moved to direct exchequer funding...

I have no problem with the license fee in what ever form it comes in, however RTÉ needs route and branch reforms before such changes should be made.

I believe if government were to change the way in which the licence fee is collected and RTÉ were to get more money. Tubs would be on 80days holiday and have his salary doubled. (But if that's what it takes to see/hear less of him...)

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gript ain't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Well seemingly this guy apparently "published a number of books including histories of the republican movement and of the Communist Party of Ireland" so there should be a few brain cells rattling round there.

But this actually illustrates the point I've been making that if you replaced the licence with direct exchequer funding, people, even seemingly politically aware people, would stop noticing or caring that the money for RTE was still ultimately coming out of their pockets. Just as nobody seemingly pays any mind to TG4's funding arrangements. So I think it would make a lot of sense for the political establishment and don't really understand why it was rejected out of hand.

The same braindead morons with too much time on their hands who objected to water charges would be out raving about the "telly tax"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

In fairness the government would be giving us 200 toward water charges had they gone ahead!

My issue with the Telly Tax or changes to it is simple... RTÉ need reform they need structural changes and the need to start providing a proper service before any changes to the Telly Tax should be made.

A staff of 1,500 should not all be OOO in August.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

We have folks setting up tents in Kerry, atm, protesting against a Gas Terminal. I respect people's right to protest, but the everyday man and woman doesn't have time to be sleeping in a tent protesting against anything. They've got bills to pay, and jobs to do.

When you start camping in an area, and making a nuisance of yourself, you're engaging in self-defeating behaviour.

Absolutely RTE needs reform and I've said so myself on this thread.

Could be that the real objection to such a charge though would be inability to evade - it wasn't the people who had been paying local authority service charges (not directly linked to bin collection) who went out protesting when it was changed to bin collection charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

So I think it would make a lot of sense for the political establishment and don't really understand why it was rejected out of hand.

Funding via direct exchequer funding was never going to be a runner for the exact reason they stated it was shot down - (I paraphrase): 'Because of actual or perceived bias towards the govt of the day'

But hang on hasn't funding for the water supply reverted to general taxation, and isn't that what the hard left want. And isn't this effectively what the Future of Media commission was recommending for the funding of RTE?

I think that any discussion of the change to the Licence fee (of which there is none) avoids criticizing serious problems at RTÉ.

RTÉ management's historical dealings with their unions and their decisions over decade not to make contractors staff. Their inability to update staff grading (IMO ultimately avoiding this task).

Dee and Moya want to do what RTÉ always do; blame public funding, blame their critics for not understanding how well, under pressure, that they produce this that and the other, the audience for moving away from them because lack of understanding on how TV and content works and then their own "talent" because Ireland is a small country with few people willing to go on TV. It seems to me RTÉ's problems are not RTÉ's problems but everyone else problem and we should be grateful for such a hard working executive and board who were unable to instigate any of their 2024 strategy and when given the change to save €8m the choose to wait until 2022 to move the NSO to the NCH!

Anyway it August and really like most of those in RTÉ I am OOO!

______

Yesterday

There is any number of gobshytes willing to do anything to appear on TV, sit in a bath of beans or snog a pensioner (The Word), be imprisoned in a house for weeks (Big Brother) or even appear naked in that Channel 4 thing. 99.999% of them have no talent whatsoever though. Most of the current RTE/VM crop have no talent either but they talk a great game and/or are related to the right people.

Edit:typo

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

We have a start date for .... the toy show! ffs.

______

Yesterday

Toy show mentioned again today by the toy man...

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jo187

I got rid of of Netflix & Disney + as wasn't watching them. So it's hard to justify the 120 or whatever it is for the licence fee when RTE don't make anything I watch and I don't listen to the radio.

I rather RTE exist then not have it as I know a lot of the programs appeal to my mother's generation but surely RTE must be capable of making something someone under 40 would like to watch?

Advertisement