Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Thanks, save me checking. Been the same story nearly every game, couldn’t cope with the running or the puck out strategy. Don’t think location mattered a whole lot, a good few of them weren’t close

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The_Tank

Whelan ended up further out the field when they were crying out for a focal point. I found that surprising that it was not corrected

Up to around the 60th minute there was little in it, neither were scoring much. I think they could have hung on without the injuries, they were doing enough to stop Clare from scoring, weren’t creating much themselves but had enough of a gap, 5-6 points. Players were going down well before the goal went in, no bench to handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭brookville

Lohan will know he has work to do and that's the best way going into the match.Clare dug really deep and grounded out a great win although wexford probably helped them a bit.Wexford had their match ups spot on and we can learn something from their approach.Rory hayes form has dipped alot and and lohan subbed him after a few minutes shows how quick he was to react. Cian nolan who came on done well.Duggan form hàs slipped a bit but himself and lawlor should be a good tussle if it happens.Cleary at full back does alot of pulling and dragging and nearly always gets a yellow so he'd be on thin ice If he got booked early.Mossy has worked hard to date but we need finishers inside.tj and cody inside and a roaming corner forward. Hopefully eoin cody can catch fire and we get a much better performance from the fowards.Clare will be expecting us to presist launching high ball in but we need to improve what we done the last day and keep them guessing.

I'm also very dissapointed with galway. They were steeped against cork and if whelan is held its hard to see how they'll trouble Limerick. Alot of the same faces on the gakway team I thought we'd see more of the winning minor teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

My thoughts too but when I said, I'd imagine, I was hinting at Cody's trust in P Deegan to play anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Guessing at possible matchups for Kilkenny v Clare and I came up with the following: Connor Browne on TK, Carey on Shane O'Donnell, Butler on Ryan Taylor, Deegan to midfield on David Fitzgerald, Lawlor on Duggan. Clare would probably put McInerney on Mullen and Flanagan on Cody. Centre forward will be an important position as we can't let Conlon influence the game too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Eoin Cody will hardly be as quiet as he was against Galway.

He never gave up despite been double marked a lot of the time. Obviously his Uncle Henry thinks highly of him. On the other hand it gavet more space for others like Mullen.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Village87

Deegan was giving a man marking job on Stephen Bennett 2 years ago in the All Ireland semi final and got an absolute run around. If Clare get motoring Tony Kelly will have a field day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id imagine is anyone is man marking Kelly it would be assigned to Bulter. He seems to have had that role in a number of matches this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

I agree with posters about Henry's Galway almost going backwards. Surprising. I think it's been a bad bad year for Henry on so many levels. Maybe they have a big game v Limerick in them.

That's what makes Cork's performance even worse. They're on the road a few years now and make a bags of every crunch match. Liam Sheedy was talking about the good things he sees in them and they'll win an All Ireland on the Sunday Game. I don't see it. A few of the younger lads, full and centre back need time. But a lot haven't performed over 4 years and need cleaning out.

I also can't understand how they are physically underdeveloped. It's one of the easier things for counties to do to set up S and C programmes for all development squads from 15 years up. A lot of it is basic core work.

Trying to be the first team to win an all ireland without a tackle or shoulder in the game, was one of the softest games i've ever seen. Dont know what Sheedy sees in them. Maybe hes happy enough to see them continue with this style from a Tipp perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Exactly. A lot of these wily older pundits, hard to know what their game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Haven't watched the game back but everyone here is going mad over it, i have the absolute height of admiration for Shane O'Donnell especially after coming back from his concussion issues but he was completely anonymous for 60 mins on Saturday ends up getting MOTM and official GAA player of the week, Paul Flanagan was without doubt Clare's best player on Saturday. Aswel as ROC and the 2 Recks going off injured Chin played the entire 2nd half with a pulled hamstring that's why he didn't end up out in the middle 3rd at any stage, Shane Reck's injury was actually caused by a sly dig with the hurl to the stones by TK, very uncharacteristic of him would have given him the benefit of the doubt only I seen it with my own eyes, it was a straight red all day. Looking forward to going to the semi final as a netural, think it will be a 1 score game either way. For match ups id say Fogarty on Taylor, Butler on TK, maybe Carey on SOD unless Clare move him to the FF line. Paudie Foley did a serious job on Davy Fitz, don't know your most similar player to that possibly Deegan, those suggesting him for TK need their head examined, TK destroyed O'Hanlon in 2020 championship I'd expect a similar outcome with Deegan, Duggan has had 2 quite games in a row his place could be under pressure from Shanager could throw in Rodgers or Meehan either, probably need someone in midfield who could physically compete with Malone, Cian Kenny who started v Galway could get blown away in that regard. We would have seriously been patched together for the semi if we got over the line on Saturday, ROC had a scan today the fear is its the ACL.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

Nobody SERIOUSLY suggested Deegan on Tony Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

What kinda crowd are people expecting for semifinal?

not sure the upper decks of the hogan or canal end are open, prob looking like 40k ish at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Cork arent under conditioned. The likes of Cahalane and the backs are strong men,well conditioned. You can't make the likes of a Coleman or Fitzgibbon into big men. They are naturally light fellas. They ll never blow anyone off a ball

Deegan would not do on Tony Kelly. He'd make a fool out of him. He probably does need a man marker but not sure who's best suited to doing that thankless role.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Cork arent under conditioned. The likes of Cahalane and the backs are strong men,well conditioned. You can't make the likes of a Coleman or Fitzgibbon into big men. They are naturally light fellas.

Be interesting to see if Kilkenny go for early goals against Clare . Is it in their locker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Been quiet since half time in the galway salthill match.

Didn't fire against dublin, wexford or galway in croker.

You be worried the way Bill Ryan Eoin Cody form is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kentu

I'd imagine E Cody will be raring to go next weekend, you'd imagine Clare will have Rory Hayes on him if he starts, crucial battle if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Interesting to see if Hayes keeps his spot after being taken off after 8 mins last week, played for his club the following day so doubt it was an injury, got taken for 1-6 and 0-8 from Dessie Hutchinson and Seamus Flanagan in the previous 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Looks like Rory Hayes has fallen down the pecking order after being peerless in the league, although i think Rory O' Connor did trouble him in a league game. Has got a few roastings of late so confidence might be fairly low. His swipe at Flanagan looked of sheer frustration in the Munster final. Nolan seems to fit the bill since coming into the team and will surely start the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭blackcard

Richie Hogan is very likely to be named in the subs for next week and to come in as one of the first substitutions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭brookville

Heard he is going very well and went well on the training camp. We'd all like to see him one more time in croke park before he retires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kentu

I hope your right on Hogan lads.....Needs to be in 26 at minimum if he is in good shape and form.

You would think if it happens it would be at Tom Phelan's expense

Advertisement