Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Excellent you can look after negotiations and sort the whole thing out, think you are onto something here. Just the gentle approach required to smooth things over !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

I love the way you speak with such confidence about "nobody" cares about "international law", yet completely and utterly fail to understand that as a country that hasn't signed up to ICC/Rome, the ICC isn't binding on the US.

It's really hard to capture just how stupid and nonsensical this is- but I'd appreciate feedback on my attempts:

"Nobody cares about paying tax, for example I don't pay tax in nearly 200 countries around the world".

"Nobody cares about the law. I haven't even been jailed for genocide yet"

As regards you being "amazed" the EU couldn't see issues with unionists/Tory press:

1 an Irish sea border is the only possible solution given a hard brexit, so the EU had little choice in demanding that;

2. Of course certain fringe elements weren't going to like it- but the issue is that the UK government amplified, entertained, exploited that to grow & increase opposition to the protocol for its own ends- rather than seeking to damp it and to assist those such as the UUP who could slightly unhappily but comfortably live with the protocol if given the political space to do so.

That part was not inevitable - and even if it was always inevitable, see point 1.

As regards everyone loses in a trade war, sure they do - just like everyone loses in a street fight.

But the weaker guy loses a lot more - and if the weaker guy is demanding the big guy give him his wife, his car, his bank account & his house or else he'll start a street fight, well then the weaker guy is going to have to learn what happens to weak guys in a street fight.

As regards a negotiated "fudge" - either you have as little understanding of the issues as Johnson, or you are deliberately allowing yourself as much room as possible. Of course there will be an accommodation "somewhere in the middle" - but what we can say is that if the EU's position is 100 & the UK's position is 0 on a scale, then the inevitable outcome is going to be approximately 99.999 & fully within the parameters of the NIP.

One can call that "a fudge" - but that's only if one doesn't understand what one is talking about or is being deliberately disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Both sides having to give up something...

What are/will/would the UK be giving up?

From what I see they just keep demanding everyone else gives a little, be a bit more flexible, not be so rigid, not so legalistic etc etc etc and come to their level.

Then 2 minutes later... Its the same thing again. Its constant nibbling away at the deal they proposed, negotiated and signed. The UK give more weight to used toilet paper than their agreements it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In the long term nothing is workable because the Tories are addicted to having the EU as an enemy they can distract voters with. No matter what they agree too now when the next scandal hits they will turn around and either blame the EU for it or use some made up grievance that's the fault of the EU to distract from their own incompetance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

British parties used being in the EU as an excuse for their problems for years and now that it's gone they need a new excuse which is the EU trade deals.

Never ending conflict is their goal and the Tories have no interest in a workable solution. How do I know that we'll because we already have a workable solution and it was working just fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The NI protocol is not that necessary yet because the UK mostly adheres to SM standards. As long as that continues, then whether the NIP has 100% inspection or 0% inspection does not matter. Market surveillance must continue in the UK as in SM - we assume that is continuing.

The UK could help by actually operating it as designed and then look for simplification and reduction in required inspections. However, there is a political background that prevents this (as in everything in NI).

All it will take is one big scandal like the horsemeat one, or BSE, and that will be gloves off time.

Of course, a UI makes the whole NIP moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

And there lies the problem..The purpose of the protocol isn't to give Irish trade a boost. Its meant to keep trade flowing between the UK and EU with no-one loosing out.I believe the protocol is good for NI but shouldn't put the UK at a disadvantage because of crippling bureaucracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What does it say about the NI politicians who are so against a protocol that is good for the people they represent, blinded by hate.

Thats not the purpose at all, the purpose is to protect the single market integrity and avoid ripping up the GFA. The UK chose to put itself at a disadvantage and cripple its own trade with the EU by leaving, bureaucracy was always going to be part of the price to pay to continue trading with the EU from the outside especially considering the hard brexit so many tories kept shouting for.

No part of the protocol is designed to keep UK EU trade flowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They are at a disadvantage because they wanted to leave a trade bloc and then signed a deal ( NIP ) in relation to that decision. This is just the poor bullied UK all over again.

It's purpose is not to keep trade flowing between UK & EU. It's purpose is to ensure no hard border between Ireland& NI by keeping NI in the SM to the extent necessary to accomplish that.

The question of how free flowing trade between EU & UK is is a separate question decided by UK policy.

If the UK wants a disadvantage in relation to trade from GB into NI & crippling bureaucracy - who are you to tell them that they are wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Oh indeed there will eventually be a long term settlement. Just not by this government. Maybe the Tories will shift over time or Labour will get into power. However right now retaining power means having a disagreement with the EU and so they will have a disagreement with the EU. I suspect the settlement will also see the UK giving something up, not just the EU though.

Wrong... article 16 of the protocol is meant to address the problem of economic difficulties which may arise (apart from protecting the gfa and EU single market)The protocol is not intended to give Ireland an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Firstly declaring the EU minimizing checks is a fudge in the uk's favour is a long stretch considering the UK has been arguably much more vocal about removing the ECJ and other EU institutional involvement in the NIP, a big part of why when the EU originally suggested minimizing some of the checks and offered the green channel originally, the UK refused. The offer on the table is pretty much the same offer the EU has put on the table since October. The ECJ is still there etc, while taking the EU's offer is the best option for everyone, it wont help the UK with the more extreme elements of the tories and the DUP as the ECJ will remain and continue to be a rallying point for backbenchers to kick Boris's chair. hence why no amount of resolving trade barriers is a solution to this problem because to some groups in the UK government the protocol itself is the issue as it continues to allow EU institutions to be involved. The way I've heard some of them talk about it, they seem to feel like the EU has stolen part of the UK and until that is undone they wont compromise.

The whole point of the Northern Ireland Protocol from the EU's perspective was that for there to be an invisible border between northern Ireland and the UK via the wider withdrawal agreement and eventual UK EU trade deal. They had hoped (or I suspect might have been misled) that the UK would have signed up to be part of the EU programs that are open to non EU members, such as vet and pet licence agreements, in the same way they thought they'd consider keeping the UK involved in euramas or the atomic agreements. None of which needed the UK to be a full member and would have allowed for the EU to have no checks on many goods. But between signing the NIP and the eventual negotiation that led to the very last minute treaty, the deal took a nose dive to the absolute bare minimum trade deal the UK agreed just before the deadline was up.

Perhaps the UK was expecting the same in the opposite and was once again hoping the EU would have given them carte blanche in numerous areas to keep the border as invisible as possible. So it was yet another situation where both sides expected the other to blink and in the end neither did and we ended up in the worst scenario.

Article 16 relates to economic difficulties for NI trading with the UK not the UK trading with the EU. Also Ireland doesnt have an advantage thanks to the NIP, its that the UK is at a disadvantage due to Brexit.

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ongoing legal action is not a good indication of an impending "fudge"...😎

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any 'fudge' will only last until there is a scandal owing to the importation of seriously non-complying goods from GB to NI to Ireland that is detected. It may be sausages, or infected cattle, or obviously smuggled goods.

Then the stuff will hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

A pretty succinct analysis of the proposed NIP Bill here - well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bertie saying the part others are afraid to say out loud. I'd say it's past time the government start sending the kites up for the general public.

There are only two choices, either the EU decides to get tough or that bill becomes law and our place in the single market is over to all intents and purposes. The denial of the obvious is really quite worrying. If you care about the single market you should be looking for protection from the EU. It hasn't happened and, like me, Bertie suspects it's not going to happen as does the British government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Really? You couldn't wait more than a few weeks before wheeling this nonsense out again.

The EU doesn't need to lift a finger. The UK have been talking about this for years without doing anything.

Any day now...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God, as soon as I saw who the update was from, I knew. Here it comes, the invariable Proof Positive that Ireland is about to be kicked out of the EU, whoops sorry, the SM. This time coming from important figure close to modern politics... *Checks notes*... Bertie Ahern?? LOL, please.

Same story, every few weeks. Nothing changed, just the same insistence each time. I'd admire the determination towards ones beliefs if it wasn't such an Office Bore now. 6 years and counting without a single peep towards this supposed D-Day but here we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So after Brexit the cost of a basket of goods produced in France,Germany,Netherlands etc is cheaper in Tesco UK than Tesco Ireland.

Just shows what a rip off Ireland is and the Brits go away with murder getting access to European goods with no tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Bertie who?

This the same Bertie who presided over the demise of FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

British businesses have to compete with those EU goods, ultimately hurting the British economy.

Reminds me of the time someone claimed to me that British truck drivers getting paid more (hiring bonuses specifically) was a sign of how the British economy was stronger after Brexit. He's a truck driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Whatever one might think about him, I do appreciate Michael O'Leary's candour here:

Kay Burley tries to shift the narrative and the blame onto O'Leary and the airlines but, being Kay Burley fails spectacularly. O'Leary, being neither British nor a simpering Tory Brexiter has no problem diagnosing the issue and telling it straight. She pulled the same BS on Mick Lynch of the RMT:

Basically, O'Leary blames Brexit and understaffing for the delays. Of course, if he offered more, that might help but ultimately, I think he's right. Brexit is a trainwreck and nothing proves it quite so effectively as the government desperately picking yet another fight with Brussels that we all know it will lose.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

You could make the same argument about the cost of a basket of goods in Angola vis a vis the cost of a basket of goods in Ireland, and the reason is the same the economy and purchasing power of Angola is shite in comparison to Ireland. Average carpenter in the uk earns £31,700 Minimum carpenter wage in Ireland is €44,500.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The cost of a basket of goods in Ireland has been higher than the UK for decades at this point. Salaries in Ireland are also higher than the UK. It is not a helpful comparison, what is relevant is purchasing power.

Advertisement