Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Surely common sense would be the UK not breaking its own agreements? Though if the UK simply matches the EU standards as you say then it is fine, that was the deal May was offered a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I really doubt that Johnson wants anything done with speed, he would prefer for it to drag out till the election, so he can sign something just before the Conservatives are defeated and the unfortunates who come in can deal with the real fall-out of Brexit. Then when the place is in bits the Conservatives can come back in with all sorts of promises to repair the damage the previous lot have done. Johnson knows he will not be running the show either way so it doesn't matter to him other than going out in a blaze of - as he perceives it - success and putting one over the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Listen time will tell. Just think with the post Covid global mess we are in, mix in Ukraine and inflation, energy etc etc that really the NI protocol is small beans.

I would happily find a face saving compromise for both sides and turn a blind eye to actual trade between the UK and NI with a smokescreen of supposed checks and just get on with it.

It's been political since day one and the harsh reality whether anyone likes it or not the only actual perfect solution from a trade point of view is to have a border between the NI and Republic as it is the interface between the UK and the EU yet we know that isn't politically possible or desirable for obvious reasons.

Boris shouldn't have signed the NI protocol but was backed into a corner as he had to get Brexit done and clear as day the EU was going to need a pound of flesh and the Protocol was the pound. Boris blustered it and in short hoped to be able to sort it out at a later date and fudge a way through. That is what is currently in progress and if I was a betting man I'd say in time it will get fudged with the protocol technically surviving but a 'methodology of enforcement' or 'protocol of operation' or some nonsense like that being agreed between the UK and EU which allows Boris to say he has restriction free trade on goods going between NI and the UK and the EU having cover to say that goods going to the Republic or back are covered - in essence red and green stuff.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks like the EU has blinked. Not surprised the last thing the EU needs is a trade war and Boris knows it.

erm, the NIP or TCA have not changed since they were signed. Everything the EU has done has been within the boundaries of the agreement. So the EU has not blinked no matter what you want to tell yourself or us. Brexiteers might already know this and are lying to sell their nonsense but I suspect it is more that they don't actually know much about the agreement and are just mouthing their usual nonsense.

It's funny how these insecure anti-EU or pro-Brexit cheerleaders surface every so often and try and sell their alternative reality. It is rather pathetic to be honest.

Well we will see how it pans out.........I know what I'd be betting on !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Does Johnson actually care about what happens to the greater Conservative Party? I could see him doing something if he thought it would put him in the history books, but anything that would be good for the party beyond his own tenure I would imagine is too much effort for him. Does anyone think he has any kind of devotion to the cause?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Off you go then. Don't forget to upload a photo of your betting slip given how confident you are of being right!

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Smart money is on the EU getting what it wants like every single time before. If you think the end result is going to be a fudge then you haven't been paying attention at all, and have learnt absolutely nothing the past 6 years. A bit like the Brits I suppose.

I suspect you know full well though that it's not going to be a fudge, irrespective of what political cover Johnson is given.

I have no doubt it will be a fudge as the only alterative is two impossible positions and history is littered with fudges....it's inevitable eventually. The only question is how long it takes to get there.............I just for everyone's sake hope they hurry up !!

As I said, you haven’t been paying attention.

• Advertisement

The entire thing has been a fudge since day one, or haven't you noticed :)

That's certainly an amusing take on the situation given the UKs complaint has been centred around the EUs rigorous and to-the-letter implementation of the protocol.

The UK thought there would be a fudge, they thought the EU would wilt and cracks would form between member states. All that crap about German cars and Italian Prosecco etc.

In fact, much of them still can't wrap their head around why there hasn't been a fudge, which is why we are still listening to them moaning 6 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well your hero Mogg said it will take at least 50 years so hopefully Boards is still a thing.

Well I'll remember to check in in 2071 !! Hopefully we won't still be talking about the NIP then !! :) Just off for a sherry now with Moggs.

Funny Sefocovic tonight saying they will 'cut checks to the bare minimum' - sounds like a negotiating position to me - i.e you don't scrap the NIP and we will fudge our checks.....looks like a fudge and a middle ground which could allow both out. It takes two to tango and we get a solution. Not sure why this is such a hard thing to get our heads round. Ultimately if both sides can walk out claiming victory to their respective power bases and the UK gets to have unrestricted trade between the NI and the mainland UK and the EU gets to have some cover on goods coming from the UK to the Republic and the North gets to trade away with whoever it wants we all win.....that ultimately is the best solution.

The one thing I am sure of is the current position is doing no one any good.................

The EU has been offering to reduce checks all along and streamline the process. Again, it appears you have not been paying attention.

And the current position is doing Ireland and Northern Ireland just fine. Better than fine, in fact. To suggest it's doing no one any good is so laughably inaccurate that I would suggest you're suffering from the same bout of delusion as the DUP. The fact it's doing Ireland and NI good is ultimately where the problem lies.

Of course, having a UK territory so clearly demonstrating the benefits of the single market was never going to be palatable to the UK government, so here we are.

Not sure the UK would agree with you there on the checks and honestly how you can say we are doing just fine when there is the threat of a trade war is beyond me but anyway. If the UK push ahead with this legislation to remove the Protocol and the EU retaliates with a trade war no one wins. Just more mess and animosity.

I am not a unionist but understand why they have a problem with the Protocol and can see while it suits the Republic to have a border down the Irish Sea atm but I can also see why the UK has issues with this. Yes it was their fault for signing the NIP but I can also see why they did as Boris needed to politically push Brexit through but I am also amazed the EU couldn't see that this was going to cause issues with the Unionists and sections of the Tory party and net result is it isn't a workable solution. Scoring points means nothing long term.

I am so far past blaming people or looking to score points and just want a settlement now as if this continues we all lose especially in the current global crisis, inflation etc etc. If both sides dig in and we get a trade war, the UK loses, the EU loses and I can guarantee we in Ireland lose too.

A bit of self interest sometimes means giving a little.

Anyway will leave it there.

For what it's worth I think in time there will be a negotiated fudge and I hope there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, I don't think he cares about anyone other than himself, I didn't intend to give the impression that he did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Mogg said it might take 50 years for the benefits to appear. I take from that view that benefits might never appear. None have shown themselves yet - in fact only downsides by the hundred.

Mogg is an optimist obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Britain will be severely harmed by a trade war. The EU (including Ireland as we are the EU) will cope just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Didn't mean to imply you did, just genuinely interested to see if anyone thinks he has any principles beyond his own greed/personal glory.

For me right now considering the mess the economy is in adding any negative impacts ain't wise, might it harm the UK more , quite probably but it will impact the EU and Ireland well yes....it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Brexit is not compatible with the GFA. This has been true from day one and the NIP is the compromise to get Brexit done. That was a choice for Johnson, not something he was forced to do as he was backed into a corner.

There was always scope within the NIP to minimise checks through negotiation between both parties. You cannot claim getting one over the EU when it is in the agreement that this is what would happen. The EU has always said it is open to negotiation and Truss is the one that has not met with Sefcovic for some time. The UK could also have made it easier for themselves had they provided the information the EU was asking for to make this process smoother. But they have not done this.

This is not some grand plan from Johnson. He has always just been out for himself and is only interested in surviving another day/week/month. There is no grand plan other than avoid scrutiny and his current troubles is testament to this. He has gone through 2 ethics advisers and one anti-corruption champion and he is apparently looking to avoid appointing a new ethics adviser to avoid the repeat happening again.

This is total waffle, you are living in some alternate reality here.

We already have a settlement, it's called the NI Protocol. It has been working great. The fact it's been working so great is exactly why there's a problem. The UK's opposition to the protocol is based on 2 things:

1. The UK cannot have part of it's territory so obviously displaying the benefits of the single market when they are struggling more with each passing day to display any benefit whatsoever of brexit.
    2. The DUP cannot allow NI to do well economically while being more closely aligned with the ROI (and the EU) than with the mainland UK. For unionists, this is bad optics.

As for the trade war comment, let's be clear, if a trade war starts there'll be only one winner and it's not going to be the little fish. But it will never get that far, Boris Johnson is a lot of things but he's not completely thick. If things get anywhere near that stage the DUP will be thrown under the bus again, to the surprise of nobody (well, maybe you'll act surprised).

The end result here is going to be the protocol remaining in place and a continuation of checks on goods coming from the UK to NI. The EU will call it minimal checks, Boris will be able to claim victory for his domestic audience and the DUP will be forced to climb down off their ladder.

Sounds like you are agreeing then, the inevitable fudge will result with everyone going home happy. NIP will technically exist on paper so the EU and Coveney are all warm and fuzzy, no actual checks so Boris and the DUP crack open the sherry and everyone climbs down claiming victory. Result, just a case of sitting back with popcorn now and waiting to see how it all unfolds.

Real politics, never really been any different despite all the bile and vitriol which has got very tiresome.

All inevitable unless we get le trade war as a temporary interlude to keep the nonsense foaming for a little while longer.

NIP will exist, there will continue to be checks, the EU will be happy, NI will be happy, Boris Johnson won't care and the DUP will be very unhappy.

This is the end result, the only question is how long it takes to get there. Either we get there quickly because Johnson gets the political cover he needs to sell it to his domestic audience, or we get there the long way when the threat of trade sanctions forces Johnson to back down yet again.

In both scenarios the DUP end up under the bus. But more fool them, I don't think there has ever been a worse display of political nous by any political party anywhere than the DUP during Brexit. At every single turn they have been clueless.

Real politics. All inevitable, the big fish eats the little fish every time. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Nothing is a workable solution to the Tories, there is nothing that will make them happy. There is a reason there was nothing said about leaving the single market pre brexit because as soon as that was mentioned people would realise it was dumb and not vote for Brexit.

I get the unionist position but also can't see why they voted for Brexit. They can't physically man a border in Ireland at the moment so any and all checks were always going to be at the ports.

Even if they get the fudge the UK will be back at it in 6 months time complaining that the fudge doesn't help them enough. You want a settlement, well it isn't happening. Boris needs Brexit to keep going, that was all he was elected to do and the economy isn't strong enough at home to keep him in power as soon as Brexit is not a topic. You say that you are amazed the EU can't see what was going to happen but you are arguing for a settlement which will again be complained about. Then we will have people asking to give a bit again and again and again. Funny how these deals people suggest here don't have the UK giving anything.

'Nothing is a workable solution to the Tories'

Really ?

Settlement is inevitable, it is just a matter of time, wait and see. Make take months yet or even years but there will be a settlement.

Believe me I am no fan of the DUP and agree they haven't exactly been the sharpest throughout but they will stick at it and that ain't exactly going to help the North.

Honestly I think we will see a negotiation based on what I have suggested. The NIP will remain in name only with practical checks nonexistent or minimal if that makes the EU feel better......it will allow both sides an exit path but both sides having to give up some ground too.

Just hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Doesn't mean I like it, just beginning to realise it really is time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

No no no. There has to be checks and there has to be rigorous real-time data sharing about what is passing into the single market from GB. It's already being abused.

https://twitter.com/castlvillageman/status/1534848426801872896?s=20&t=JRXCAORBTDrVUeqsHp7KwA

If the UK refuses to cooperate then we should roll the border back to where the British drew it in 1922 to create the sectarian enclave.

Let's give the DUP what they want and let the six counties follow GB's lead, we go hard against any goods crossing into the south without meticulously following EU rules and let the British feel the full force of EU tariffs while its car manufacturing, among other industry, gets stripped out and relocated to the EU.

The population in the north have a fast-track method of returning to the EU by uniting the country and we can have the toxic influence of the British state out of our country for good.

Advertisement