Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Are the really gonna gamble and hope real life issues wont wipe out a multimillion dollar project?

Surely there has to be a back up plan to salvage possible entire disaster? Millions are spent marketing a movie like this, not a penny will be spent promoting this movie if any of the above proves to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To be honest, I think it would still do well. There are plenty of people who will never read this news or just glance at the name, not recognise it and forget the story existed. Then there are people who would go see it anyway.

I'll be honest and say I plan on seeing the film and as long his deal doesn't involve a share of profits like Scarlett with Black Widow, then he doesn't profit from people going to see it. And at this rate, I'd be surprised if he did get anything even if his contract said he would since I believe most contracts involve a morality clause.

I'm sure this film is setting up the DCU going forward, so they need to release it and while they may struggle to replace him in what's been filmed, they could find a storyline reason to recast or change the character to Wally or someone and either reshoot later scenes to reduce Ezra's screentime or add a scene at the end that replaces him going forward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose it depends how credible the grooming allegations are, and how much they hit the mainstream news. If this thing takes off, the movie's doomed, and Miller's career is toast.

This film seems to be cursed from the outset. Took years to get going, went through a bunch of directors and just when it finally happens ... the main star turns out to be a trashfire.

Yeah once mainstream news starts referring to him as "The star of the upcoming movie The Flash..." people will pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He done now

A mother and her 12 year old has been granted a temporary restraining order by the courts on Erza Miller.

This is not connected to the other grooming case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jaysus; a restraining order in relation to what alleged offence? More grooming or something else?

To by a fly on the wall at DC's head office.

I'm in work so cant link the report it’s in the daily beast and starting to break in a few other places now.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

At this point, it'd be a lower cost for them to delay this movie a year & pump $20m into digitally replacing him, (hopefully also digitally replace him in JL also). It's going to lose an absolute fortune.

They've digitally replaced actors before quite successfully, there's no reason it can't be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They've never digitally replaced a lead actor, who is presumably in a majority or vast majority of the scenes in the film. Any other cases of digital replacement have been on a much smaller scale, and rarely (if ever) successfully. I don't know of any cases of a lead actor being fired or replaced post principal photography.

They either basically reshoot the film, dump it entirely or just release it at is. None of those are easy or cheap options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The only example I can think that would come close is Tig Notaro in Army of the Dead but that's a much smaller role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

Combination of reshoots & digital replacement would work. It's either that or sit by & watch their investment burn

If they still wanna make that 2023 date they'd have to recast right now. What's Great Gustin up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Between Miller and Heard 2023 is looking like it could tank the DCEU.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,248 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeysus... even beyond the flash stuff, you'd hope any family/friends close to Miller would get them to maybe go in for a bit of counselling or help or something. At this stage it sounds like they're in a pretty erratic place, which will do no favours for their career, and just their life...

From all the various reports, it seems like they're very quick to anger, and have weapons to hand, which could be a recipe for total disaster if someone they trust doesn't get to talk a bit of sense to them.

As an aside, it seems a bit odd that this person is only filing for a restraining order now, when the event happened over 4 months ago, and Miller is by all accounts some 5000 miles away...

I was just thinking maybe the best path is to quietly relegate it to HBO Max: as a cinematic prospect it's probably dead in the water, but with streaming all is never completely lost; if WB dump it onto their streaming service it can at least exist as something to entice subs.

When it comes to the film itself I really feel for Michael Keaton after all those years he returns as Batman it should have been a moment for him and fans 30 years in the making and now it's ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He's gonna be ok the Batgirl film too, isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

I really think it's looking more likely that they'll just shelf this entire movie and maybe try and retcon any salvageable scenes in future DCEU

films. Although at this rate, what's viable? Left?

This vid came back to me as I thought of possibilities going forward,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK2xBqk8w4I&ab_channel=BeyondTheTrailer

dunno what went down that it never happened but was an interesting idea

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think he's only just recently wrapped up The Flash's 8th season, and is coming back for a presumed 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Mark Wallberg confirmed to replace flash. Reshoots beginning next month.

• Advertisement

Would have to be Tom Holland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Shocking example of career suicide. They could do reshoots to increase Keaton's role (the main reason most viewers are interested in this anyway) and make Batman the focus of the marketing while reducing Miller's role to a minimum.

Problem with that is, AFAIK, the whole story centres around The Flash messing with the timeline. I believe it's a tweak of the Flashpoint story from the comics, where Flash tries to go back in time to prevent his mum's murder. So the whole emotional pivot of the story/film hangs around Barry Allen's actions. It'll be very hard to reduce that to a minimum without it being a total mess.

Either WB release the thing as is, and hope Miller's increasingly public problems don't damage it too much (and with that, there's the option of HBO Max and a rejig of projections), or they recast and reshoot. Made more difficult by the fact that in the trailer, we see TWO Barry Allens! That work alone would explode the budget and make it a loss-maker, no matter what they do IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I can see it working.

Batman: You've destroyed the multiverse Flash!

Flash: Well whoop de **** do

/The end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The two Barry Allens might be an opportunity for them to recast though. Is the other Barry Allen from another universe like Keaton's Batman? If so who is to say he looks like Ezra Miller... as you said it would still be very expensive and messy, but expensive and messy seems to be par for the course with the DCEU.

If that's not option I guess they can just dump it on one of the streaming platform as you suggested above. I think there's audience for the return of Keaton's Batman regardless of Miller.

I think the two Barrys is the actual killer here as it just makes any other route so much harder to take.

Best case scenario is they cut it to 90 mins and put it on HBO MAX, while using some Tig Nataro type chicanery in Snyder's zombie film to maybe get away with some digital replacements. Sasha Calle and Keaton are the leads, with a new actor being shown in edits that won't include all 3. It would still be a mess but the least of all options. There is no good option at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,361 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say considering it's a Flash film, pretty much all scenes revolve around Flash to a significant enough degree that trying to do anything with it would just be impossible. The movie is centered on his character, his character's actions, the main villian is probably connected to Flash. There are likely very few scenes where he isn't there or part of the conversation. Reshooting with another actor will either be really crappy CGI and green screen, or they literally reshoot most of the movie with the other actors too. People mention Tig Notaro, but she was a fairly background supporting character, and Snyder's filmstyle for that film meant a lot of things were purposefully very out of focus or soft focus. Trying to replace Miller with someone else (especially given that Miller is playing two versions of the character) would be insane.

I think they might just release it on streaming and not have any promotional tour or anything. Just release it, accept it as less of a loss considering how much reshoots, CGI etc would cost to do anything else (and if anything, they could save a bit of money from marketing/promotional costs), and move on. They're already multiversing, just recast Flash for any future stuff going forward.

I don't think it was confirmed but if the film's following the comics then the villain would be The Reverse Flash, given IIRC he was the one who offed Barry's mum.

Mind you, in all this chatter we're assuming the studio wants to do a good job; it's not entirely beyond consideration they recast Barry Allen, do a very hasty green screen replacement of anything with Ezra Miller, and in 12 months we'll be guffawing at the awful hack job. Cue a #releasethemillercut on social media 🤡

Just to say as well poor Andy Muschietti, what a disaster for him as he clearly showed enough passion to finally get this off the ground. Looks like his hard work will be for nowt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,361 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I can't remember hearing who the villian is so I just assumed it would likely be Reverse Flash, or that RF is somehow involved or set up for a future appearance.

Advertisement