Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For what it's worth, here's some actual reporting on the behind the scenes situation - albeit published before the latest round of scandals (note the 'barring unforeseen circumstances' caveats).

One notable factor is executives and test audiences actually quite like the film!

I would agree with one point in the article though: Ezra Miller is not exactly a household name in the same way as other superhero stars, so pushing ahead under the assumption most audiences will not have heard about the scandals is a very real possibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had meant to say same; there was such a rotating-door of directors on this project I had got to a point I genuinely assumed it'd never happen. To be the man to get the nod, to get a handle on the project - only to be potentially snatched away by your lead star? Ouch.

For sure, but the accusation of grooming (pre)teens could be the kind of controversy that moved the needle of publicity into mainstream territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I read that the film was testing well alright before things really hit the fan. Maybe that's why WB are holding off as much they can in faint hope that Ezra might be able to exonerate himself, but by running away he really has shot any hope of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

if it is edited or reshot how long will it take for the fanboy outrage to appear online for the EzraCut to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

To be fair I don't think even the Snyder Bros will defend this.

I was always fair to Snyder but holy crap has his casting choices blown up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If Miller had not come out as non binary, you might get some of the usual types latching onto the alleged victims recent statements but instead I've now seen some use Miller as a weapon and some sort of gotcha moment against GR.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another issue is that the film isn't actually due out for another year. Given everything that's happened in the past year, what more will happen with them in the next year? It really seems doubtful they'll be able to stay out of trouble until then unless there's a significant type of intervention or psychological help given.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think this might actually be the saving grace - they have a year for things to die down. Use whatever contractual obligations they have to reign Miller in in some way, and spend the money to get their family and friends around, provide help etc, so that 6 to 9 months from now it's more of a story that's come and gone with Miller out the other side of it. Like, Ezra clearly needs a bit of help anyway, and this is a huge selfish motivation for the studio to do an otherwise selfless act.

Feels like it's a lot cheaper to reform Miller's mental health/reputation over the course of a year than it is to reshoot a movie that is otherwise apparently quite decent.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Deadline are reporting that the general thinking and hope is that all the Miller stuff will just stay low level enough not to make the cinema releaser toxic. Also sounds like the studio already tried getting Miller some professional help:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A new prequel comic book has been leaked ahead of the release of The Flash movie to show some upgrades to Ben Affleck's Batman suit. Apparently it could be an armoured suit again for Affleck's version of Batman which could be like BvS.

There is also some unsettling news about the cover of this new comic book. It's been reported in the article above that the cover showed Miller's version of The Flash initially appearing in the buff while he was having trouble putting on his suit.

Obviously in light of the allegations that have been made against Miller over the past week; the cover is not being released by WB at all.

Sweet Jesus WBD/DC! You had to be awkward at the wrong time. Didn't You.

• Advertisement

More Miller Mess; though seems more like a situation where they're involved in a domestic dispute (putting it mildly), rather than an issue of grooming or abuse by Miller themselves;

Two sources with knowledge of the situation expressed concern to Rolling Stone that it is an unsafe environment for children, alleging there are unattended guns strewn around the home on Miller’s 96-acre property. One source, who, like the other, requested anonymity for fear of retribution, recalled an instance where one of the children — a one-year-old — allegedly picked up a loose bullet and put it in her mouth.

But the mother who, like the father, Rolling Stone is not naming, claims that Miller had helped her escape from a “violent and abusive ex,” and Miller “helped me finally … have a safe environment for my three very young children.” “[Ezra’s] home ranch has been a healing haven for us,” she tells Rolling Stone. “They may have firearms for self-defense purposes and they are stored in a part of the house that the children never go in… My kids are able to relax more into their healing because of the safety and nurturing Ezra has been providing for them.”

Now, if this is true, Miller's a saint in this instance, sheltering a vulnerable mother and her children - and one has to wonder if the media are now looking for something, anything to report about them that's vaguely newsworthy.

As an aside: Miller has a 96 acre property! To be that wealthy, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Miller doesnt come across as a good guy, he seems manipulative and toxic and not motivated by altruism, you would also question the mother's smarts thinking that Miller is an individual worth entrusting her kids to, she sounds like a hippy dippy chick. Would probably make a good Jeremy Kyle episode.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Erza Miller has been arrested charged with Felony Burglary in Vermont

Jaysus.

I wouldn't mind but they're not even that famous; you expect this kind of behaviour from the Old School Mega-stars, not someone relatively unknown.

Variety reported yesterday that the movie was too expensive to pull a Batgirl. It's gonna be a PR nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They must plan on just tanking the DCEU. No way was Batgirl gunna be worse than this will be.

Damage control for the release is being planned now. They've got 3 options, two of which will limit his involvement in promotion and the last of which is scrapping the movie entirely.

Bizarrely they've been engaging in reshoots with him in the midst of all this.

At this stage, hiding Miller in a cupboard might be the simplest, while they get Andrés Muschietti, Michael Keaton and Sasha Calle to do the promotional chatter.

Actually, maybe not Calle; there might be awkward questions about her solo movie suddenly disappearing into the ether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

the whole thing now, is bizarre....

(2 zeds in bizzarre, bizarre?)

Reads somewhat like he's in damage control mode now for both the studio and himself.

• Advertisement

Man, you'd wanna suspect the studio, or those representing it, sat Miller down and gave them a good bollícking to ship up or be blackballed by the studio. I would hope the words and intent are genuine though, 'cos the behaviour has been fairly appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i hope he can cop the fcuk on....

So now we know which of the 3 options they went for.

Try and rehabilitate

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Looks like he is paying off all his victims and getting them to sign NDA’s

Making all his issue go away behind NDA’s

Well worth a read just to see the crazy sh1t he got up to

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

This is what I would gamble on aswell. Stall as much as you can , maybe even push the realase date .The studio will pay off the victums and will wait it out and hope for a bigger scandal to hit and everyone will forget about this .

I would say Ezra carrer is shot now, no studio will take a risk on him and Id say the reshoots mentioned could be different ending where Ezra is killed off/replaced with a different actor.

Some seriously messed up ****, does not sound like a pleasant person.

Nothing screams "I'm innocent" than flourishing the 'aul NDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I never understood how NDA's can be used for something illegal. Like you hear of ones being forced to sign them after being assaulted.

They make sense in businesses or even to stop someone selling their story of a consensual relationship to a tabloid.

As for the film, they started releasing the prequel comic miniseries last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think they can be used for anything illegal, but the effect of them is usually just tied to a payoff and so is generally just buying people's silence. Usually if the police don't approach them for questioning, they stay quiet.

Advertisement