Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flash

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Really enjoyed it there ans will buy on 4K Disc when released VFX are shite but still enjoyed it Ezra Miller was very good in as both Barry's, great to see Michael Keaton back as Batman some of the gags where great. So a solid 8 out of 10 for me. Shame it's Box Office numbers are so poor. Apparently they would have made more money if they had released it on Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I watched it on HBOmax last nigh and I liked it. Some real laugh out loud moments. Story was great. Close enough to the original comic.

Keaton was class, the multiverse additions were a nice surprise, as I had aboided the spoilers. Supergirl was beautifful and nailed the role. Surprised to see she has only been in The Young and the restless for a billion episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You weren't kidding: absolutely atrocious stuff, bordering on a disgrace. Nearly 9 years since the first post, a decade of production - and that was the best they could do? I wonder once the DCEU burn-off kicked in, if the FX phase got a reduced budget or oversight; I kinda feel sorry for Andy Muschietti, feeling like he had to defend the FX in public, even if his rationale was a little iffy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Found it a very frustrating watch, there was great and very, very poor moments. It felt like if they'd just had Keaton's Batman mentoring Supergirl so she can beat a world ending threat that on its own would have been far better. The weakest parts were the bits with the Flash, amusingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

This was atrocious and everyone involved should be thoroughly ashamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

So watched this last night not expecting much and as much as I wanted to dislike it I didn't - it's actually a decent watch, for the most part.

Whatever about his train wreck of a personal life Ezra Miller was fairly good in the dual role and Michael Keaton really elevated the whole thing a few notches. Supergirl was pretty OK as well I thought, liked the actress and it didn't come off as hammy as I expected.

The biggest problems for me were the god-awful FX in many spots and honestly, the whole opening 10 minute sequence was a massive cringe fest and absolutely did not have to be there, and the movie would've been incomparably better for it.

I thought the bad CGI in the opening scene might be due to its inclusion later in the production cycle, it has a powerful whiff of that with it's early 2000's level CGI.

But it continues at random points throughout the movie, one minute it looks like a $200m movie, the next it looks worse than the low-budget Flash TV show on CW.

There's one scene where they phase through the door and I am not exaggerating when I say the digital overlaid face on one of them actually looks like a soul-less PS2 cut-scene render, we all burst out laughing.

Usually I wouldn't let weaker FX get in the way of my opinion for most movies, especially not if it's consistent at least, but there was absolutely no excuse for this one.

Overall I'd still say it's a solid 6/10 for me, despite it all I genuinely enjoyed it, far more so than most of the other recent DC movies which are almost universally awful in my personal opinion like WW84, Black Adam, Shazam 2, etc.

I really think they were on the right track with the original Zynderverse, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Justice League Znyder cut, etc. DC really fell down when they decided to poorly emulate the Marvel movies rather than doing their own thing.

I still think Man of Steel, BvS and JS Zynder cut are head and shoulders the best of the DC movies, first Wonder Woman is OK as well.

Though it can be done well in that format too, as James Gunn has proven very well with the likes of The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, both of which are excellent.

Birds of Prey doesn't get mentioned much but I found that one also surprisingly decent.

So, overall, The Flash - I'd agree with people saying it deserved to do better than it did, because despite it's massive flaws, it's nowhere near as bad as a lot of the DC content that came before it and honestly better than some of the recent Marvel efforts as well.

The problem at this point is that people are fatigued enough with Marvel, they just don't want to invest the time in Marvel's poor relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

This is my feeling on it also. At this point Snyder is 3 or even 4 times removed from the utter disaster the DCEU became. Geoff Johns, Walter Hamada, Bob Greenblatt, Ann Sarnoff and David Zaslav have all been either calling the shots or exerting significant influence since Snyder left, yet it's Snyder to this day who gets all the ****. His 3 films are nowhere near the worst that has come along in the franchise and for all their faults, seeing that vision completed would have been the much preferable route than what we got.

I completed my watch of The Flash last night and there's a good film in there but unfortunately it doesn't include the main character. I think they could have made a fantastic film without young Barry, such a strange decision that I'm sure they were hanging their heads against the wall. They could have easily had Keaton guide Barry throughout the film and reach the same end result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's getting into the realm of splitting hairs, but Synder's films were bad IMO, but they never lacked direction or a distinct and singular style. It's just a style that's the single aesthetic speed of Synder's and one I've grown very tired of. Superheroism as a terrible burden works in small doses - but it's not something to hang a whole universe off of. Still curious what Synder brings with Rebel Moon so I'm not completely divorced from the guy.

But what replaced it when the DC executive tier panicked was worse in being rudderless and reactionary. Synder's Justice League was overcranked, self-serious and as baggy as parachute pants ... ... but Joss Whedon's version was worse for being utterly anaemic, unfunny and bereft of panache. And the crazy thing is, until Gunn took over, they were still reacting - which included, unfortunately, The Flash; a movie that had such great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Unexpectedly really enjoyed it. There was a bit of ropey special effects, that to be honest didn't bother me at all, because it had a decent story. Some of the recent Marvel movies look great, but I can't even remember the plot of a couple of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

good review, the ropey special effects didn't bother me either.

good movie, lots of fun. supergirl was hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

The flash voice got really annoying the more the movie went on. Loved the Batman scenes. Not sure if I would watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watched it again with the family, it’s really great fun.

Prob the best post Snyder DC movie in the sort of marvel mould but better then most marvel stuff since endgame and not the same kind of marvel copy/paste that WW and Aquaman was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I can see why Tom Cruise, Stephen King and the likes praised this so much prior to its release. It’s a great film, and the best superhero film ever made. Nah I’m joking of course. I don’t know what WB were thinking with that ridiculous marketing campaign.

My genuine thoughts on this is that it’s a very entertaining film. It’s funny, it’s sad, great action, great acting, a good story and just an overall fun watch. if your a Flash fan, I think you’d have to be content that you got a good flash movie and try to ignore that the films performance was a colossal failure. Same with Muschietti and all those involved, they set out to make an entertaining film and that’s exactly what they delivered. It’s a shame that it tanked so hard.

I think the film is too good to get swept under the rug and will gain an audience over time. I hope so anyways. It’s not nice when you see a good movie fail this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah, I’d echo a lot of people here, I’m surprised how much I enjoyed it - the director is to be applauded for making an entertaining film out of the trainwreck of a production.

The CGI is indeed ropey as hell, distractingly bad in the opening sequence, but I sort of got used to it as I was watching, probably helped by being generally entertained by it.

Keaton stole the show, he is still brilliant as Batman and could easily carry a Dark Knight returns type film, a shame he won’t get the chance.

The film was a massive bomb, and that’s likely what it will be remembered for, but that was moreso just disinterest from the audience about a soon to be rebooted series and the antics of its lead of recent times. As a comic book film, it was solid entertainment. Far better than a lot of recent MCU entries(GOTG3 aside of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,842 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup, same, was pleasantly surprised - now, that's largely because my expectations were very low. It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but reasonably decent entertainment. Unlike some of the other major turkeys like Morbius, I think this is one that most people interested in any sort of superhero/adventure movie will end up seeing sooner or later.

Though I do hate these story-reset concepts, where everything we watched may as well have been a dream. It's just a bad foundation to build anything upon.

Hope they find a way to use Supergirl in some way going forward in whatever universe they create. Was a very interesting version of the character, and the actor had a real gravitas to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lol that is some loss, their budgets were out of of control

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement