Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They're fascinating devices, I'd love to learn how to use one myself.

Nice little write up on one here, check out the before and after pics.

https://blog.timowens.io/crt-rejuvination/#:~:text=Electrons%20come%20flying%20out%20of,combinations%20of%20those%20three%20colors).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I collected a rare beast of a display today.

It's a JVC 14" CRT.

No fancy Scart or AV ports, only an RF.

And it is NTSC/PAL and SECAM compatible!

So, this should mean I can connect the likes of my US Pong console and the Japan only Nintendo Block Kuzushi console and they will work perfectly fine.

Fingers and toes crossed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems like there is a shed load of interference in the bands the Japanese devices use via RF.

Not sure how to clean that signal up.

Any ideas?

Master of the Universe

Have you tried moving it to another location in the attic?

Not as yet.

When you turn the console off you can hear radio stations!

But Kerb and I were playing Block Kuzushi on the TV and it was fine, nothing like as crisp as a PAL signal but it's okay.

Kerb thinks the length of the RF cable is also making it act like a radio antenna, just making things worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Finally got my Sony BVM 2016p back last night.

Its unfortunately dead as disco. There's a short somewhere the guy I gave it to said but he didn't have any older equipment to fix it.

So now do I get it repaired or just sell it for parts or repair?

Its a shame because it's a very low hour tube. I think I played about 20 minutes of virtual Bart on it before it blew up. It's the same one I bought from o1s1n

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

He said there's a short somewhere between the transformer and the flyback I think he said.

It popped and released some magic smoke when I got it. Screen would turn out. Glow to a bright white and then cut out again.

My poor Sony PVM 2016-P is very sad looking in the corner here. There's not a whole lot I can do to fix it now

Ill probably list is for repair on adverts and try recoup some of the cost.

Was thinking about the €200 considering what they sell for fully working. That's adverts taxed too. I'd like to hopefully make a deal with someone here and keep it in the group

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dav09

I see someone selling some NOS CRTs chassis and tubes separately, they are 17" but need to buy in bulk, would anyone here be interested in taking a few? €60/70 each-ish all in for both tube, chassis, shipping in bulk to here give or take cost wise, would need to collect from here then. Would fit a lot of "19 cabs nicely and don't come up often, especially at that price .

220v and RGB in, arcade chassis. If so let me know how many.

Post edited by dav09 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

A tentative yes for 1 for me.

Good stuff, need to flog probably 10 or 20 of these to ease the burden. Also don't need payment for a few weeks just gauging interest but will be buying them shortly if I am. Cheers!

Might be able to post from here too once they arrive.

Post edited by dav09 on

Added my bvm to the marketplace.

I'll be going to Dublin some evening this week so I can drop it off to someone around there if it suited

• Registered Users Posts: 32 irisheejit

Hi guys, apologies if this has been asked before, but is there anyone in Ireland that offers CRT repairs/servicing? I have a 14" Sony Trinitron CRT TV that has some convergence issues that need to be addressed.

Id be in for a couple

Have 2 mates in for them too. So I'd say you can add 4-5 to the list

Perfect, I'll add 5 for the time being on the other thread! No worries if that changes just keeping track roughly how many, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

great stuff dav , i've no need for a 17" screen but good stuff sourcing them.

Cheers! Yeah it's the first time I've seen them up for sale in bulk in probably 5 years so I grabbed them while I could. There's a good few interested on here and elsewhere as I expected so hopefully won't have any problem getting rid of the excess. I have 7 or 8 games either LCD'd or in need of CRT repair so going to put them towards that.

I'd go 3 for sure 👍

Great stuff, will add you to the list on the marketplace thread.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

PVM 14L4 fits perfectly into my tv unit if you take the feet off and smash the back panel off the unit with a claw hammer.

Edit - and it still powers on, the relief! Haven't actually run any power into it since I moved six months ago.

Going to run the hydra multi scart into this once it arrives and then run the video out into a retrotink and then into the main TV.

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Not afraid to admit it but I love the rptv the best out of all the crt types. 50inch crt! Won't hear a bad word said about them (fingers in my ears: bad viewing angles, bad in bright room, lalalala can't hear you).

I use the pvms as foot stools while lying back on the couch playing virtual cop on the rptv :D

Master of the Universe

Take off and nuke him from orbit, only way to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I was in the local dump/recycling centre and there are bins full of old TV crts

I've a few cabs with small imperfection on the tube glass like scrapes, chips and slight burn in. Thinking about tube swapping. Has anyone any experience in this? I'm aware of measuring the yoke horizontal and vertical for 15k tubes/chassis but does a tri sync chassis needs a special tube capable of the higher 25k and 31k resolutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

There is some higher dot pitch something or other, can't remember the terminology that hi res screen do have remember arcade CRT s outside of Tri sync are old tech,the main issue is more so the neck connectors for most tv differ from most arcade monitors, curvature is a concern as well , there was some tvs out there that have the right tubes that can be transplanted and google might throw up some results the likes of grabbing a Sony wouldn't work

• Advertisement
Advertisement