Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Tour 2022 - Māori June 29th, NZ July 2nd, NZ July 9th, Māori July 12th, NZ July 16th, KO 8.05am

• 02-06-2022 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭

Māori v IRELAND

Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, Wednesday, June 29 (kick-off 7.05pm local time/8.05am Irish time)

Ref: Barnes

1st Test: New Zealand v IRELAND

Eden Park, Auckland, Saturday, July 2 (kick-off 7.05pm local time/8.05am Irish time)

Ref: Karl Dickson

2nd Test: New Zealand v IRELAND

Glass House, Dunedin, Saturday, July 9 (kick-off 7.05pm local time/8.05am Irish time)

Ref: Jaco Peyper

Māori v IRELAND

Cake Tin, Wellington, Tuesday, July 12 (kick-off 7.05pm local time/8.05am Irish time)

Ref: Karl Dickson

3rd Test: New Zealand v IRELAND

Cake Tin, Wellington, Saturday, July 16 (kick-off 7.05pm local time/8.05am Irish time)

Ref: Barnes

42 Man Squad TBC (June 20th?)

30 man squad travelled in 2012

5 Irish and 3 NZ are likely to be playing in 2022

Healy - 24 30 Caps

PO’M - 22 4 Caps

Murray - 23 9 Caps

Sexton – 26 29 Caps

Earls – 24 30 Caps

Zebo – 22 Made his debut in 1st Test No.11

Smith – 23 0 Caps, ‘on test dayboo’  1st Test No.9

Cane - 20  0 Caps,  2nd Test No.19

BBarret - 21 0 Caps, 3rd Test No.21

JSavea – 21 0 Caps, 1st Test No.11

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

2nd Test and final test of the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What a long season! These boys will be knackered when it's over!

Yep they will be glad of the break. It will have been an 11 month season! It got me thinking as to who has played the most rugby in Ireland this season?

Josh vDF popped in to my head. Tomorrow will be his 22nd game of the season. Doesn't seem allot but he also usually plays the full match and is up to 1578mins.

By the end of the tour he will have have played 28 games and approx 2000mins. I presume that is at the upper end of the scale for forward under the IRFU 'player management programme'?

I think Ringrose has the most minutes 1694mins and is playing his 23rd games of the season tomorrow.

They will get a rest during August? So, if they do, they will miss the 1st couple of league matches next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We probably won’t see most of the Internationals till near the end of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ladibai

Brian ODriscoll was terrible in the game. The Kiwis just keep on running over him time after time. He was very short. Crazy watching that back and how rugby has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Our attacking game was abysmal. The amount of glacial ball and one out runners. Never forgive Owens for insisting the penalty shot was called. He fecked us over a good few times with shite calls vs NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

tbh id still expect a kicker of sextons ability to get that (unless he was against the wind). it wasnt a crazy long distance for him and those adidas balls fly way further than the standard gilbert ball

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Owens should've given a penalty for the scrum before that where the Irish pack drive NZ back a solid 5 meters too. I used to be mad he didn't give one for the scrum from Mike Ross' knock-on at around ~75mins, but watching it back it was a clear deliberate wheel by us. Memories of watching this match at 2am in a barracks out in the texas desert. Raging afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭ersatz

This one really felt like one that got away at the time so it's interesting to rewatch it. I thought Sexton and O Gara playing together had some nice moments and POM brought a big impact to the game. Pretty amazing how close Ireland made it and kept NZ out bar one try. BOD was kept very quiet and POC was missed but that was a very good NZ team, as they showed in the other two tests.

• Advertisement

Squad announced tomorrow. I hope there's at least some new blood.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

With possibly 45 players travelling I think you're pretty much guaranteed there will be debutantes

Prendergast, JOB, Frawley, and Kendellan are my probables

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Māori All Blacks squad for Ireland series - *denotes debut

Props: Tamaiti Williams, Ollie Norris, Marcel Renata, Jermaine Ainsley*, Tyrel Lomax

Hookers: Leni Apisai, Kurt Eklund, Tyrone Thompson*

Locks: Isaia Walker-Leawere, Manaaki Selby-Rickit, Josh Dickson

Loose Forwards: Reed Prinsep, Caleb Delany*, Billy Harmon, Te Kamaka (TK) Howden*, Cameron Suafoa*

Half Backs: TJ Perenara*, Brad Weber

First Five: Josh Ioane, Ruben Love*

Midfield: Alex Nankivell, Rameka Poihipi, Billy Proctor, Bailyn Sullivan*

Outside Backs: Connor Garden-Bachop*, Josh Moorby*, Zarn Sullivan*, Shaun Stevenson

to be honest, thats not really a squad that puts much fear into me. Apart from Perenara and Weber, theres no one there that shouts at a level of "i demand a test cap"

my suggest maori line up

1. Williams 2. Eklund 3.Lomax 4. IWL 5. Dickson 6. Prinsep (C) 7. Harmon 8. Howden 9. Perenara 10. Ioane 11. Z Sullivan 12. Proctor 13. Nankivell 14. Stevenson 15. CGB 16. Apisai 17. Norris 18. Ainsley 19. MSR 20. Delaney 21. Weber 22. Poihipi 23. Moorby

i wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go 6 / 2 on the bench either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah not a great squad. Especially not when compared to some teams in the past. The Maoris of the late 90s and through the noughties were a genuine test quality side.

In the pack, I could see Eklund, Williams and Norris maybe getting caps. And Lomax if he got his form back.

In the backs obviously TJ and Weber are very good. Love is a rising star. The outside backs have a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Is it pronounced 'Luv' or 'Lɒ-vay'. Is it a Pakeha name or Pasifika?

are you talking about Ruben Love?

its the former then.

i think the boat has sailed for Eklund to get capped. Hes not going to get in before the RWC and after that he'll be 32 before the next Kiwi test in 2024.

Williams probably will if he can achieve his ceiling, needs to figure out of hes a 1 or 3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I didn't actually realise Eklund was that old 😮 Its like thought Papalii was late 20s but he's only 24.

I wonder if some of the AB squad will drop down to the Maoris for any of the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am puzzled by Loughman's selection at prop. He has a poor injury record and has never been really first choice at Munster.

Mentioned elsewhere that Andrew Warwick should have been brought. He has had an excellent season and has performed very well against the Tolouse scrum and against Malherbe the Stormers and SA TH. His game has come on a huge amount and he has great energy around the field.

Not hugely convinced by Baird either. A bit like Larmour in the past he can do nice cameos (eye catching runs) but if he is a lock he needs to fetch in the lineout or be the grafter lock who helps the scrum and ruck/maul area.

I would also have brought Healy from Munster. Just think he is a more rounded 10 but those missed kicks have obviously killed his chances.

Don't think NZ or their Maori back ups have the same depth or quality they once had. Maybe too many lads playing abroad is finally catching up with them. Not a great outlook for them with SA now north, they will find it harder to hold onto talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

From what I’ve seen the 2 Sullivans look like good prospects. But yeah it’ll be more a super rugby rather than international quality side.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Crusaders or Fijian Drua though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Fair play to ionad for the use of the macrons in the thread title. Ka pai!

IRELAND 2022 SUMMER TOUR SQUAD:

Player/Club/Province/Caps –

Backs (18):

Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 37

Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster) 2

10. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 32

9.Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) 5

Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 96

12.Ciaran Frawley (Skerries/Leinster) *

Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 17

Mack Hansen (Connacht) 4

Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 57

13.James Hume (Banbridge/Ulster) 3

Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 20

14.Jordan Larmour (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 30

11.James Lowe (Leinster) 12

15.Michael Lowry (Banbridge/Ulster) 1

Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 96

Jimmy O’Brien (Naas/Leinster) *

Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 42

Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) (capt) 105

Forwards (22):

4.Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) 8

Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 23

Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 30

Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 27

8.Gavin Coombes (Young Munster/Munster) 2

Caelan Doris (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 17

Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 57

Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 116

Dave Heffernan (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6

5.Iain Henderson (Academy/Ulster) 68

2.Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 26

1.Jeremy Loughman (Garryowen/Munster) *

Joe McCarthy (Dublin University/Leinster) *

Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 84

3.Tom O’Toole (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 2

Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 43

6.Cian Prendergast (Connacht) *

James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 43

Dan Sheehan (Lansdowne/Leinster) 7

7.Nick Timoney (Banbridge/Ulster) 2

Kieran Treadwell (Ballymena/Ulster) 5

Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 40

* Denotes uncapped player

Team id like to see for game against the Māori next week

Still bemused that Doak was excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭TRC10

I doubt Henderson will start the first Mãori game. He'll be starting the first test. And Baird is listed as a backrow. I think they'll start Beirne to get some minutes into his legs, alongside McCarthy or Treadwell.

Same with Lowe, he'll be starting the first test. I think 11 will be Hansen or O'Brien. The rest of it will probably be fairly accurate I'd imagine. Although I'd rather see Hume paired with Aki, I think he'd complement him better. More similar to McCloskey.

Didnt know that Baird was listed as a backrow. That pointless considering the depth at BR and lack of depth at SR?

I thought it was weird when Leinster played him at 6 and Murphy at Lock v Munster.

It's only my guess but it makes sense to ease Beirne back from off the bench v Māori and hope he's ok for 1st Test.

Henderson captain. LO combo for Herring scrum behind O'Toole.

Beirne for Henderson - 55' .Treadwell for BR - 65' & then switching Baird to BR.

Will be very interesting to see how Joe McCarthy is used.

Lowe is definitely starting 1st Maori game and the Tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭TRC10

Lowe is definitely starting 1st Maori game and the Tests.

Anyone starting the first test won't be near the starting team that plays the Mãori. There's no way in hell Henderson or Lowe are playing the first midweek game.

Thinking about it once more It prob is unlikely Henderson would start both games alright.

A winger could handle it!! Lowe a former Māori & Waikato Chiefs player v Māori in Hamilton. He must play!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What tv channel will the games be on? Are the Maori games also on tv?

• Advertisement
Advertisement