Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Tour 2022 - Māori June 29th, NZ July 2nd, NZ July 9th, Māori July 12th, NZ July 16th, KO 8.05am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shehal

The Maori award test caps but their opposition dont.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Realistically , he's not going to feature on the tour now, barring an injury to Sexton or Carbery.

As you say , if Frawley shows up well tomorrow it could be a very bad sign for the longer term for Byrne.

With Ngatai coming , if Frawley shows promise at 10 HB could find himself getting very little game time with Leinster next season, even if he manages to stay fit for more than a few weeks at a time.

Must be incredibly frustrating for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would that involve having BT on one account and Sky on the other though? I'm pretty lazy and my TV has a native NowTV app so think logging out and in depending on what channel would be a step too far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah and it can be a bit tedious logging in and out on the TV remote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's a big 'if' though. Out half is the most difficult position on the pitch to slot into having not played there in a long time. Particularly after over 2 years of not playing there, in a thrown together side. He's only played with 2 of the other backs before. It's a massive ask for him. And it would be insanely impressive if he was to shoot the lights out tomorrow.

I know there has been a large cohort banging the drum that he's an amazing ten, but that's based on hope more than evidence, because there is virtually no evidence. The reality is nobody really knows, because he hasn't played there. And it's important to understand that being a great player, doesn't always equal being a great ten. I think he'll do an ok job, but I just can't see a scenario where he puts in a 9/10 and catapults himself to being Sexton's undisputed backup and heir to his throne. I just don't see it, but hopefully I'm wrong.

As for Harry Byrne, I think he's got a lot of talent, but the guy is made of breadsticks and I just can't see him ever being an international or even provincial regular unfortunately. I think Farrell should cut his losses and move on. If he goes back to Leinster, gets over his injury woes and plays his way back in, then great. But he needs to end the fast tracking, it's doing him no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You are all most welcome for the codes but I'd just like to point out that for an extra €3 a month you get the streams in HD and a third screen to split the bill 3 ways if you so desire

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Don't disagree with most of that.

I'm not expecting Frawley to "shoot the lights out" and suddenly be the anointed heir or whatever tomorrow, but if he produces a competent performance that indicates that continuing to try him at 10 is worth doing then my comments about Harry Byrne next season apply.

To be honest , I've never really seen what exactly it is people see in HB thus far , clearly coaches see something though but like you say his current lack of anything approaching physical durability means that he's a wasted space on Ireland squads for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Hansen and Harry injury has thrown spanner in works. Looks like Farrell was always going to play O'Brien at FB and Larmour at 14 in this game and just stuck with that plan as all the injuries mounted. (I hope it is Larmour at 14 on Sat)

I really wanted to see allot more of Lowry, Carbery and also Frawley at 12 on this tour. Frawley will quite possibly not play at 10 again until Sexton is gone. Its a bit of a wasted slot seeing him there. That's touring I suppose.

Silver lining with no Henderson is that Ireland are forced to get more game time into Baird at lock with the added bonus of Joe McCarthy now starting! He may yet win a cap.... 'On test dayboo' v NZ. Would be amazing really considering he was an Academy player 4 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

RTE radio say they'll be covering it, not sure exactly which station though, talksport in the UK are good for international rugby as well usually but nothing on their website

To be honest , I've never really seen what exactly it is people see in HB thus far 

He put in some really strong performances back in 19/20 and looked like he could be the real deal. Was taking the ball to the line better than any 10 in Ireland bar Sexton at one point. Had a physicality about him and an excellent kicking game. I think this was during the 2019 RWC so it possibly went unnoticed by a lot of non-Leinster fans. Farrell had him in as a development player that season. But since then, injuries have meant he's never been able to put any sort of run of games together and his form has suffered big time too. His biggest problem is without doubt is his injury proneness. You'd have to wonder, when will Leinster and Ireland stop investing so much time in him and move on to more reliable options. You can forget about him in terms of the World Cup.

If Frawley does play well tomorrow, it could change the picture a bit. But many a time throughout rugby history, has there been a very talented ball-playing 12 or 15, and fans have been clamouring for them to play 10. Only for them to play 10, and actually not be very good. Obviously, I hope that's not the case with Frawley but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Realistically , he's not going to feature on the tour now, barring an injury to Sexton or Carbery.

There's still another game against the Maori, so hopefully H Byrne will be back for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Gutted for Harry as well, but I agree with others that surely his injury proneness is going to hamper his chances for WC 23 at this point? If we bring Sexton, Carbery and H Byrne, it's hardly a stellar list of athletes who stay injury free is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Ta Red Silurian. I checked all the websites of stations that might broadcast yesterday and nothing on them. RTE might mean the tests only are being covered. I would have thought there was enough interest for these also. I'll keep an eye on Radio1 Extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

Is team named?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

unlikely any of the starting back 3 tomorrow will start Saturday, tough to ask a player to play 140+ minutes in 4 days. Much more likely Keenan on the wing with lowry 15 & maybe larmour on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Frawley has a terrible injuries profile too. I'd be worried about him getting injured too and needing Mike Lowry as backup 10.

Frawley tended to play 12 when he got injured so 10 will be less abrasive. But still a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Lowry on for Jimmy or larmour at half time and Jimmy or larmour take the wing spot on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

My memory is that at least two of Frawley's injuries were to the face, i.e. more indicative of his opponents' recklessness than a fundamental vulnerability on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭VayNiice

I'd rather leave keenan at 15 and stick Lowry on the wing where he'd be less exposed. As good as Lowry has been he's still untested at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

has he ever played on the wing in a professional game either though? fb and wing are obviously pretty similar but there are differences and NZs wingers tend to be pretty decent

He was pretty decent against Italy albeit only Italy. Would much rather Keenan in the 14 jersey considering it’ll be either Clarke or faiganuku on the left wing for the ABs that are two absolute monsters. Keenan has much more experience than lowry on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

JOB has done nothing to earn a test debut against the All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Madeoface

Smashed in the mush for which the opposition tackler was carded: then required jaw surgery. Unlucky.

Not like its a dodgy knee or hip. He's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He's been in excellent form all season, well worthy of his starting berth for Leinster. I wouldn't have him ahead of Balacoune, and prob 50/50 with Hansen.

That is ludicrous, a fit larmour next year and JOB will be 2nd choice 15 all year for leinster. He isn’t better than conway, earls, balacoune or Hansen, he has the luxury in playing in a much better team. Doesn’t have the top end gas for an interational winger as seen in the knockout games. Very solid player that covers basically everywhere bar 9 tho and with a skill set that is pleasing on the eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We'll have to see. he kept a fit larmour out of the starting team this year, so he's doing something right.

Advertisement