Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Definitely makes it an option now. Never thought of it before as price was too big for one share. Same with google.

I believe Amazon will become more volatile now as options are in play. Massive money was needed for options before the split.

Go BABA go 🚀 Now back to -32% on it.

Correction, now down -28% on it.

Now down just over 3% overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Does your broker not allow fractional shares?

Good news for the Baba price lately! Will you sell any?

Degiro? I don't think so.

No selling of baba yet. Only bought another 15 shares last week. It'll probably drop bigly tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Shouldn’t make any real difference as most retail platforms allow fractional shares

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sold out of Twitter today, with Elon's deal falling through I reckon it'll take a while to get it's value back. Invested the proceeds in more Shopify

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

Bought More Intel and medical properties trust, yielding 7% at current prices (A REIT), over the past couple of days.

Also PayPal and Brookfield (BEPC) over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Potential third leg down incoming. Still no leadership in the market, latest rally attempt has been weak and uninspiring. Very little outside of Oil/Gas is moving, anything that is moving up are the names that are deeply oversold...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Financials perform strongly in a rising interest rate environment, there profits inflate disproportionately to the rate of the rise. Especially in a strong booming economy like the Irish one which is still predicted to be one of the fasted growing economies in Europe at around 5.5% still this year despite everything.

So it's really a no brainer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Intel breaking support its been holding since 2017 is not a good look. It will go lower here me thinks...

All eyes on cpi print tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There Income rises on deposits (where margins are small or non existent) but tends to fall on loans that have higher margins.

As long as Non performing Loans doesn’t start growing it’s a good investment but need to keep a close eye on credit conditions and have an exit plan if bad debts start to rise…by the time rating agencies downgrade its to late to exit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was a horror show, worst in 40 years and still accelerating, stockpiling cash for another month at least methinks.

Thinking of buying some Intel. Four and a half year lows and pe ratio of 6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Been considering this myself as a long term buy and leave it stock. It and AMD, though AMD is the clear frontrunner at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some of the Financial stocks look oversold - Goldman Sachs, bank of America, Mizuho, Sumitomu all down to 1Y lows in the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Back down to 13% down. Ballllssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Bitcoin is down 18% today. Now at $ 22.8k from an all time high of $ 68k. I wonder what the crypto gurus have to say now.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Exited a few fashion stocks today LEVIs and American Eagle.

Took a $150 loss, but thats my mistake investing in the advent of a bear market.

Oh well, Live and Learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Why are you picking on crypto when the whole house is on fire? The company that owns degiro for example is down 13% today, no concerns about that at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

I think he is referring to those who consider Crypto a 'safe haven' and to be uncorrelated to equities. In a market like this, everything gets decimated, best not to attempt to participate until we see some real accumulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

In Ireland there will be zero non-performing loans from anything made over the last 13 years. Loans and Mortgages have been given at at very low multiples of earnings and very low valuations so only fool will default at that level Anything before that has been ringfenced and massive write-downs applied. (they should be performing write backs on these loans the way the property market has gone here). With rising interest rates the 2 big banks here are going to become cash cows for the long foreseeable future. Recession or not property prices are going to continue to rise, house/apartment builds are seriously lagging demand. We will be looking at 6-8 years of high demand here and even then I doubt it will cool that much.

Growth stocks are set for a long term depression which could take 10 years to bounce from. Banking, Insurance and Staples is where you need to be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Correct, the "crypto is a safe haven or inflation hedge" is a claim that many use to bash Crypto with, in reality it was only beating inflation because it was growing so quickly, nothing about the fundamentals. I don't think any Crypto enthusiast really claimed it.

Reality is the whole market is a bit broken at the moment, the main way to beat inflation historically is equities. The last few days, looks like cash was the correct play to beat rising interest rates and inflation, which makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's a buying market if looking long

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is it not a good time to buy stocks now? As Buffett says "The stock market is the only store in town where everyone rushes out, when there is a sale on".

As for Bitcoin, the point I was making is - it is just worthless junk. How many have bought in at or near the top price of $68k. They are looking at serious losses now.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Yeah right, Let's revisit this post in twelve months time and we will see how well irish property is going nevermind six years.

Worst case scenario? Stocks drop 50/60% and there's widescale layoffs and asset prices drop all over the world.

The fed will simply turn on the money printer and drop rates to get things going again.

Inflation will be brought down, just a matter of when. So if they manage a relatively soft landing with some economic issues while inflation is low, they will start dropping rates again to get the economy going.

I really don't see a scenario where they manage to bring down inflation to less than 2% while at the same time having a very strong economy. The strong economy will lend itself to higher inflation as the wage growth spiral is underway now.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

"The strong economy will lend itself to higher inflation as the wage growth spiral is underway now."

Is there any evidence of this?

2007 was the high point for wage inflation in this country before the big bust.

If you look at a counterpart doing the same job from 15 years is getting paid - I doubt it is even close to matching wage inflation.

The Public and Private sector have keep a lid on wage increases by filtering out experienced higher paid workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Keep hoddling and wait for the rebound. it's weird people doing an I told you so sort of negative thumbing of the nose when the 'safe' equities market has just tanked, has been for weeks and likely will do more of the same for a while.

Just bought some BHP shares and was expecting to end up in a loss by the end of trading, but lo and behold, I'm up 1.69% Div yield is 8.1%. I hope that holds.

Advertisement