Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I took my own advice and went in Boeing at $118. I think that price represents some serious potential upside for the reasons I outlined above.

Crypto has slaughtered my portfolio book value over the last 6 weeks but particularly in the last 2. I am not trading crypto/cash at the moment but I am trading between cryptos to grow my ETH stack and not looking at the $ values for anything other than tax reporting.

On the stock front, my opinion here is the same as it has consistently been in my posts on here since Aug/Sept 2021. There is a bear and it's being deflected valiantly by hopium since last Sept but it's here now and it has a bit to run yet I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I would wait for the next 75bps raise in a few weeks time before buying anymore risk assets. Then go from there to see where things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Hmm idk will it be 10years but we are not looking at a quick recovery anytime soon, it's like this, many of the meme growth stocks are done, some will survive and linger but will take years to recover if ever. Many retail investors have been burnt so even genuine growth stock now are going to be overlooked. Then we have rising interest rates, inflation, some hyperinflation and a general loss of disposable income all of which are bad for growth stocks.

Yes there will be a few winners if you are a good stock picker, but not for the overall market this is looking at 10 years of nothingness

Ok, don't go changing your alias in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I honestly think that the same madness that drove up stocks way past their intrinsic value, will drive them down too. I can't for the life of me understand why everyone wants to buy when the prices are high, yet nobody is interested when they are cheap. Explain that one !!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If we do get a bad recession, won't they just reduce rates and print money again? In which case all the growth stocks can pop again?

Taming inflation will happen. Its whether it'll cause a recession or not.

Maybe interest rates going back to 2% or so as the norm will just cut the value of the stocks but they'll increase on positive earnings.

Inflation, Quantitative Easing easing and recession are all linked in a vicious feedback loop which interest rate rises can dampen to some extent. Forget about growth stocks, the aging European and US populations who are just after getting burnt from growth stocks are going to be putting money into the likes of bricks and Mortar type investments for a while now. Hence why Banking and Insurance is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

In its simpliest form; 'cheap' stocks can get a lot cheaper than anyone realises and 'expensive' stocks can go a lot higher than anyone realises, you have to know where you are in the current market cycle. I'm not going to buy stocks in a bear market, nor am I going to buy new positions late in a bull market. It all comes down to risk management and compounding out your gains, it becomes very difficult to compound when you keep averging down. Buying beat down stocks appears ok if you are an extremely passive investor, i.e. your just chucking money in the hope to make something, but then your stock selection needs to be impeccable as a lot of these beat down names will take many years to recover and many will never reach prior highs again, the odds are stacked against you.

There's a big debate between Value and Growth investors, it's best to figure out which style suits your personality and focus on that. You'll never make money if you try to force a style that does not agree with your beliefs. For me, buying beat down names would never work, I'm an optimist and believe in strength and innovation, that's backed by over 100 years of research that's available for study. Every cycle has new leaders that nobody will have heard of, leaders from the old cycle very very rarely lead a new market, that's a fact and I'd rather have facts and proven history on my side than my opinions.

I still don't understand this whole Growth v's Value argument. Buffett says it himself, growth is just another variable and if you don't buy value, you won't make money. You have to buy stocks cheap - simple as that. The challenge is to figure out the Intrinsic Value first, so you can spot value.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Buffett is just one style of investing and is what most people are introduced to when they first look into the space. Some of the considered greatest investors of all time are not value investors. Growth stocks grow earnings at a much higher rate than value stocks and in a bull market growth will far outperform value, on the flip side, in a poor market, like we have now, value will typically outperform so that's why it's important for growth investors to understand market cycles and know when to sit on your hands. Value is often referred to as defensive stocks where funds, who need to be invested at all times, can park their money in poor markets while they wait for conditions to improve. This may sound a bit oversimplfied but you don't have to buy stocks cheap to make money, you just need to sell them for higher than you bought, and you do that buy buying correctly at the beginning of a new uptrend.

To be honest you really don't need to understand what growth investing is all about if you are a value investor and if that strategy is working for you that's all that matters. There is an unlimited number of ways to make money in the stock market and trying to understand every way is not possible, all that matters is you focus on one style that works for you and you keep what you make 👍

• Advertisement

I think a mistake a lot of people make is that they associate a stock that has declined 80% over the last 12 months as somehow a Bargain and it must be value at that price. On the other hand the same people will not invest in a stock that has doubled in the last 12 months as they now think it is expensive and must have been better value 12 months ago. Those same people then proceed to try and time the Market or another funny one is they are DCAing.

The reasons for investing in any stock are various and not just current stock price based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm not so sure. Us population will grow on immigration anyways.

Growth has been getting pummeled since last November. We're not as the despair level yet.

The minute growth turns everyone will be jumping back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I suspect there's a lot that want to buy but are afraid that this thing goes further south. Once the tide turns it's going to rebound sharply I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Simple it is down to greed and fear….the two things that move markets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Horrible price on 4D today. It's a share that never fails to disappoint. I know everything's down atm but their recent investor call did not go down well.

Meta down to $157 today, from an all time high of $382. What's incredible about this is, Meta is the number one owned stock by the superinvestors.

DATAROMA Superinvestor Ownership

At $157, that's only about 11x times free cash flow. The ROI is 31%. It has no debt. Surely it's looking like value at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Not too many days you see google up 4% and meta down 4%

Meta seems fantastic value. Basically it is pricing in zuckerberg just blowing all that free cash

And now from left field... Anyone hear positive rumours about a Brazilian mining company called Jazz Resources (based on Canadian Venture exchange)?

Some upswing in the S&P over the past two days. Nice to be ending the week strongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

I thought it was a mistake when I logged in to see it was 30+% down. And now trading was suspended today pending a further announcement. That could be either really good or really bad. Currently have a break even point of 83GBX for 4D so I'm probably fudged anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

This may not be the right place to look for help but...

Im trading on degiro, I want to buy providence resources, but I cant find it can anyone help ?

May not be listed on DEGIRO (I’ve not looked). While DEGIRO is quite good, it doesn’t list all shares.

I think you can request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Some day on the markets. Back to green this week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Left $400 on the table having sold my FB $162.50 call option early yesterday ,first day in a long time that Meta built and held a gain

Took a chance on Disney. Price has dropped back to close to Mar 2020 levels.

Up approx 10% since posted. But, I'm taking from this nothing of significance has reached these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

It's end of quarter too, funds will be buying equities as part of their rebalancing. Could be another positive week next week to end the month, followed by a further move down after 4th July weekend. I don't see things improving until inflation is under control, we have a while to go yet I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Advertisement