Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

I have to say i have wondered what star wars super fanboy david75 who once graced these threads thinks of of disney star wars these days with so much muck being made in the name of star wars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Star Wars sequels were (unfortunately) box office successes. The Star Trek reboots made nowhere near the same amount of money.

Actually both "Star Trek 09" and Into Darkness were box office succeses. Unfortunately it was "Into Darkness" that was supposedly the biggest most succesful Star Trek film.

Maybe they did not make as much as the Star Wars films but they were successful.

Mandolorian has been a smash hit all over the world - none of the new Star Trek shows have achieved that level

Maybe not yet but SNW might yet.

so I don’t see how people are going to get bored of Star Wars but you think Star Trek is somehow destined for better.

Yes Star Trek is destined for better.

I am enjoying both Franchises. I just watch and enjoy. I never overthink any of it.

I will say when it's good or bad do and Discovery was mostly rubbish.

All the live action Star Wars shows so far have been good even if some had there problems like the biker gang in one of them or the slow pace in Obi One.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I meant to typed that the Star Wars sequels were massive box office successes in the billions. The Star Treks were no where near that and are moderate successes.

You are comparing the franchises (which is something I don’t do as they are completely different in every way - chalk and cheese) so the fact that star wars made more money is very relevant.

There is no way that any Star Trek makes an impact like Mandolorian has. Even other Star Wars projects won’t match it. It isn’t just the series itself or the storytelling but the Baby Yoda merchandise that is sucking in the money.

Star Trek is never going to match Star Wars for audience interest. Did Patrick Stewart’s return as Picard light up the world the way a green puppet did? The hell it did.

You do overthink when it comes to both of these franchises. So do I. That is why you and I are here.

All the star wars live action shows so far have been good” and “Discovery was mostly rubbish”. I thought you said Trek was doing better than Star Wars and had greater to come?

The whole “franchise fatigue” argument has really been flogged to death at this stage. Your earlier post suggested you were personally bored with Star Wars and enjoying Trek more. Your last post suggests the opposite.

I don’t even know why you were complaining in the first place. You said Disney was being “desperate”. That whole post makes zero sense. It sounds like you just lashing out at the idea of a childrens’ cartoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No I have no problem with Star Wars having a children's cartoon they have had a few already. It makes perfect sense for Star Wars. Even Star Trek has a children's Cartoon now in Prodigy which is actually not bad.

It's just that the last week or so Disney have announced a rake of Star Wars shows and yes I think the Franchise will hit a fatigue point like Star Trek did after Enterprise for some years.

All the star wars live action shows so far have been good” and “Discovery was mostly rubbish”. I thought you said Trek was doing better than Star Wars and had greater to come?

Yes Discovery was/is rubbish but it has given Star Trek one of its best new shows in "Strange New Worlds" and what I meant is that it's looking better for Star Trek for the future not that it's doing better than Star Wars but its making a better show now than any of the Star Wars ones.

Yes Star Wars might have a bigger audience but it has been deminished a lot over the last decade or so compared to before that mostly because of the damage the last three films done to it compared to Star Trek which has gained new audience over the last decade or so and I think there will come a time when both even out.

I do love both Franchises Star Wars for fun and Star Trek for real world ideas, science, teamwork and it's point of view on real world issues and humanity because that is what Star Trek is supposed to be not like Discovery but like TNG or TOS or DS9 or SNW. They are Star Trek at its best.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't stand any of the High Republic stuff, they don't want to set them during the films/tv eras as those are important and they don't want to go further back to Revan/Old republic as that's popular and if Disney ever do adapt it (More than a Holocron in Rebals/CLone wars forget which) they want a clean slate.

So High Republic it is, their own little corner to **** in.

Your original post about Young Jedi Adventures was very negative and you then you hammered on that Star Wars is in a desperate. Then you change your mind over the last few pairs until saying the opposite now to the first post.

I don’t even now what to say to that.

As to the “fatigue” thing - it is the just a load of cobblers. Marvel is going to experience that fatigue, Star Wars isn’t, Trek isn’t.

You maybe tired of a franchise but that is you. It isn’t everyone.

I don’t know much about the High Republic except the various I angels that show up on the Star Wars website and that the bad guys seem to be anarchist Vikings or something.

I have been wanting to ask though doesn’t a war in that era go against continuity? In AotC Palpatine says the Republic has been at peace for a millennium.

If one were to give them the benefit of the doubt you could point to the scale, as it's not a full on galactic war.

It's a pretty separate group from the rest of the star wars stuff behind the High republic, has some name which I forget and none seem to know much about star wars in general.

I suppose scale could be important.

I saw video of a writers room when the announced the High Republic and they were just throwing random “cool ideas” on a white board and making stories from that inside of coming up with story first.

That is progress I suppose though - at least they had meetings about it unlike the Sequels which was just random ideas and no story.

The

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Say what you will about the Lucas era, LucasArts had something of a freer reign to explore and play with the universe than the Disney era. The High Republic born from that sense of willingness to mess with the world a bit. Disney are crippled by a driver towards pandering to nostalgia and that narrow sense of what Star Wars is. It feels like they bought The Empire, The Rebels, Skywalkers etc and have no idea what to do with the rest - especially the old Expanded Universe stuff.

• Advertisement

They did use the Old Expanded Universe stuff.

The Sequel trilogy is a mix of the EU, Easter eggs and a copy of the OT.

It probably why they ended the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This will be an interesting watch.

Vice TV’s ‘Icons Unearthed: Star Wars’ Series Debuts With First Ever On Camera Interview With George Lucas’ Ex-Wife, Marcia

Vice TV will world premiere its new Icons Unearthed series on July 12 with the first installment of a 6-hour deep dive into the Star Wars Universe.

In Icons Unearthed: Star Wars Marcia Lucas, Oscar-winning film editor and ex-wife of George Lucas, sits down for her first-ever on-camera interview and provides unique insight into the rise of LucasFilm — including her 14-year marriage to and eventual divorce from George Lucas — the editing of the original Star Wars trilogy, the origin of the idea that Darth Vader would be Luke’s father and if there were really originally plans for nine movies.

Icons Unearthed: Star Wars also includes exclusive interviews with Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, Paul Hirsch, Phil Tippett, Rick Baker, Ken Ralston, John Dykstra, Howard Kazanjian, Julian Glover, Ian McDiarmid, Gus Lopez, Tom Spina and many more. Icons Unearthed: Star Wars is narrated by Michael Pennington, who portrayed Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod in Return of the Jedi..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Quinlan Vos appeared briefly in Episode 1 and now Kenobi mentions him... surely he will have a major appearance soon...

I don’t think that is correct.

He was created in the Dark Horse Star Wars comics like Aayla Secura. Where she was shown in Episode II & III and had a role in TCW, Quinlan Vos is only mentioned in Episode III (by Obi-Wan).

However, both be and Secura had adventure with the three main characters in TCW, so Vis had had his major appearance - depending on your opinion of the show.

I'll have to do a bit of googling, good sir, thanks for the info..👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

"Quinlan Vos" was in Episode I. Granted, the character hadn't been realised at the time of shooting Episode I, but his appearance was based off of that background extra, and subsequent canon books place him in Mos Espa at the same time Qui Gon and Kenobi were there. So the extra is essentially Quinlan Vos.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/1e/VosAndRags.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never watched the cartoon but going by the thumbnail that's some likeness they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's uncanny

• Advertisement

Wonder if we'll get a Freddie Prinze Jr. force ghost for Kanan.

hold on ... I thought Kanan was just blinded..???

Think you might have missed most of the last season or maybe all of it, it's not something that happened the last few minutes of the last episode where you could have miss it.

something to look forward to.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd not be surprised. It has been a thought vaguely coalescing in my brain but the success of the streaming shows, and broad failure of recent movies, has made me wonder if Star Wars becomes a franchise for Disney+ first & foremost.

• Advertisement

It's starting to look that way alright, although I'm sure the movie-well is one they'll go back to sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Let's hope the Waititi movie gets axed as well.

His clout will be an interesting path to chart: Love & Thunder made bank, sure; but has also got an absolute shellacking and many opinions - including mine - have amounted to patience shrivelled for his comedy styling. God knows Disney freaked-out when they saw the mostly-finished Lord & Miller cut of Solo ... to the extent they got Ron Howard to reshoot the whole movie: what might they be thinking about a predominantly comedic Star Wars?

Well, if anyone had any clue at how to handle Star Wars over at the Mouse House, they never would have considered Waititi in the first place. How anyone could seriously put him forward as a possible director choice for something like that, especially in the wake of the extreme backtracking with Lord + Miller, is beyond me.

Waititi has his place, for sure, but Star Wars isn't it.

You can do humour in Star Wars, it's not totally impossible. Everything from Family Guy to Lego to Robot Chicken have had official dalliances - heck most official was proably Star Wars Detours, the Seth Green produced show that had 39 episodes produced - but never released. Mind you, from what I've seen via YouTUbe it looked like total shíte so... yeah. Undermining my own argument lol.

I think could have a Star Wars comedy, I just don't think Watiti is the man to do it 'cos his biggest flaw, shown by JoJo Rabbit and Love & Thunder, is that he has forgotten how to marry the battle of drama and gags. He seems to think you can smash Nazis or Stage 4 Cancer into his comedy styling ramped up to 11, and it'll just work.

But then yes, if Lord & Miller had too much comedy going on, I'm not sure why they think Watiti wouldn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I've enjoyed Waititi's Mandalorian episodes, so wouldn't write off a SW feature made by him either.

The big bugbear for me is that his work for Disney/Marvel has come at the expense of WWDITS, Wellington Paranormal, and the long-promised We're Wolves. One has dropped in quality, another ceased production, while the latter has seemingly been shelved indefinitely.

There's humour and there's humour though. And there's comedy and there's comedy.

A Han Soloesque sarky line here and there is fine, like in 'Star Wars' or 'The Empire Strikes Back'. Or C3PO and R2D2's interactions. But prequel style stepping in shit or fart jokes should be an absolute no. Likewise, meta jokes should be thrown in the bin as soon as they raise their ugly head. Ditto for comedy characters like Jar Jar.

With regards to 'Family Guy' and 'Robot Chicken', they're comedy programs taking the piss out of something, and that's great because clearly the two Seths love the movies that are the targets of their humour. They're also very funny too. However, the thing they're taking piss out of shouldn't then descend to taking the piss out of itself.

Star Wars was essentially a dramatic piece in the originals, with a slight level of humour chucked in here and there, although one could make the case that 'Return of the Jedi' was tipping the balance more toward the humour direction in numerous places. Sure the drama isn't on the level of 'Eastenders' or whatnot, but there are stakes for the protagonists (and subsequently the audience) to observe. But the humour was kept strictly to a minimum...and that's a good thing. However, handing something like Star Wars over to a guy who's one trick is quirkily humorous takes on everything will result in an absolute disaster. If people thought the terrible jokes in 'The Last Jedi' were a tonal mess, then they'll flip tables if Waititi does his thing, that's for damn sure.

Waititi has already shown the affect he'll have with his turns in the MCU, although I haven't (and probably won't) seen 'Thor Love and Thunder'. But 'Thor Ragnarok' was already the writing on the wall. That film was such a shift in tone from the movies that preceded it that it feels like it belongs to a different set of movies altogether, even if the previous movies were kinda twee themselves. Now, as a standalone comedy 'Thor Ragnarok' is fine and quite funny. But as a continuation piece it's a bloody disaster and from the feedback on 'Thor Love and Thunder', that sounds even worse.

I agree that Waititi's efforts to pick a lane are, practically, non-existent, but why can't producers at Disney not see that? Are their choices, literally, just down to "this person is a director and some of their stuff has hit big, let's give them a Star Wars movie"? Because that isn't working out too well.

Yea, that was a good one... an importantly, written by Favreau....

Could have done without the bit with the scout troopers missing the target from a metre.

Damon Lindelof developing a new Star Wars movie to be directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Ms Marvel)

As for what the film is actually focused on, that will remain an under wraps as this project remains one of more guarded secrets in all of Hollywood. As for when we will see this film, while it still seems a ways off……

For the first time in a long time, Andor has been a Star Wars story not entirely beholden to required demographics and has been a mature, interesting story. Like they finally realised it doesn't have to be all cutesy mascots and simple emotionality.

It's oddly weird to read of the franchise still tinkering with the idea of another attempt at film - if Disney+ means more Andors than yes to this, no to PG blockbusters trying to please everyone.

Shawn Levy in talks to direct a Star Wars film once he is finished filming Deadpool 3

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LEGOJim1989

I'd like to see the Yuuzhan Vong come in for a post-sequel trilogy with an older Rey and a chance for the guy who directed the Mandalorian to create a cohesive trilogy without the pulling and pulling in directions for different directors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LEGOJim1989

Also gutted that the Rogue Squadron film has been shelved, what a game that was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Andor ratings seem to be pretty poor yet by all accounts is a decent show, have they managed to get the to the point where their audience doesnt care anymore?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Aardman and our own Cartoon Saloon are among the next batch of animation studios to work on Star Wars: Visions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gromit with a lightsaber!!! 😁

Googled/Checked wiki.. my notes..

I really should watch some of the Cartoon Studio films. I've been meaning too.. like Song of the Sea and all.

punkrobot looks like it'll lean young..

Studio Mir does Harley Quinn and did a show I've heard a lot about but not seen called The Legend of Korra .. OH! and The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. That was good!

Only recognise the title love death and robots from studiolacachette .. but haven't seen it or their specific special for it called: sucker of souls

elguiristudios seem to have nothing on the two of their websites I found.. they might do 3d stuff based on this .. blog is it? https://www.cartoonbrew.com/tools/lytro-rodrigo-blaas-collaborate-vr-short-using-new-volume-tracer-154013.html

88 Pictures worked on a film Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia .. which was a film in.. eh.. "Netflix's final movie installment of Guillermo del Toro's Tales of Arcadia" .. yeah there that

D'art Shtajio .. look like mainstream anime and have had some involvement in Castlevania and Attack on Titan. I don't follow music enough recently but also The Weeknd ‘Snowchild’ Music Video? The Weeknd is popular right?

triggerfish studios .. have so many different looking types of animation.. I couldn't guess which they might bring. One looked powerpuff girls style, one looked find nemo style. I didn't recognise any of the names but the Disney logo was on one.

There's an upcoming, official Star Wars convention April 7 to 10th and the rumours are it'll be finally when Disney clarify the plans for the next films set in the franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s 4 years since ROS, any plans they make now will prob be 3 years in the making, I think that’s a decent gap to give to come up with something better then what we got.

Hopefully Andor is the template and they use how good that (and elements of Mando) showed how to make proper stories and characters you care about.

Still can’t get over how good Andor was, the last episode was so good and the brief dog fight in space was used to perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

While I'd hope Andor will spawn other thematically interesting and mature ideas on TV Star Wars, there's probably little chance any new movie will be more complex than a Four Quadrant blockbuster. And with Dave Filoni in ascendancy, seems chance are good it'll just be more Nostalgia indulgences. I suppose after the Trainwreck that was RoS the best we can hope for is the new films are at least watchable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Oh I can see this going down well, let the positive sentiments commence

Advertisement