Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

They really do not seem to know what to do with the star wars ip it lets just make stuff and put the star wars name on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

TBF, the beginnings of the Rebel Alliance has potential as a story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's more that they have given up on cinema for the time being, and seemed to have really pivoted into TV, hard. Which makes sense, even if it increasingly makes Disney+ plus look like the MCU and Star Wars service critics like the snark. Disney presumably don't think a Star Wars movie can make all the money anymore in the box office, while their shiny steaming service needs content.

Agree about the Rebel Alliance having a good runway of stories to work off - but TBH it speaks to just how badly the sequel trilogy went that NOBODY is touching the hot mess left by JJ Abrams. It's nostalgia all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

it seems Kennedy has the same idea that the upcoming movies - Rogue Squadron, Taika Waitia’s films, Johnson’s movies - are set in after the Sequel era.

Hopefully she by “further beyond” she means of far that it will never be mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah, that explains the panel at celebration

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ha lol that sounds rubbish. It must be a kids cartoon this one will be and I thought Star Trek was in a bad way.

it's all looking a bit desperate at Disney with Star Wars at the moment such a pity.

Thankfully things are getting better and looking up for Star Trek. If I was a betting person I would even put money on Star Trek having a film in the cinema before Star Wars again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

something Star Wars for kids?

yes that seems pretty desperate - what next? Toys?

churning out out a movie is no sign of success for either franchise - two crap Abrams movies in each with a third by a talented director burdened with Abrams nonsense.

The only good things in those movies is Karl Urban’s McCoy - on the rare occasion he gets to do anything.

Ms

The past three Star Wars movies were not exactly Original or great either. That is why Star Wars is in the slump it is in now and people will get bored of too many Star Wars shows too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

the Star Wars sequels are mentioned in my post - and how Abrams has made crap of both franchises.

The Star Wars sequels were (unfortunately) box office successes. The Star Trek reboots made nowhere near the same amount of money.

they both have a lot of TV shows and forthcoming.

Mandolorian has been a smash hit all over the world - none of the new Star Trek shows have achieved that level

so I don’t see how people are going to get bored of Star Wars but you think Star Trek is somehow destined for better

it seems more like you are bored of Star Wars and are enjoying Star Trek more at the moment.

I’m enjoying the new era in both franchises which strangely owes its life like to those three bad Movies in both series

The Expanse is a kick in the sack to both franchises though. A pity it isn’t more well known

• Advertisement

I have to say i have wondered what star wars super fanboy david75 who once graced these threads thinks of of disney star wars these days with so much muck being made in the name of star wars

Ms

The Star Wars sequels were (unfortunately) box office successes. The Star Trek reboots made nowhere near the same amount of money.

Actually both "Star Trek 09" and Into Darkness were box office succeses. Unfortunately it was "Into Darkness" that was supposedly the biggest most succesful Star Trek film.

Maybe they did not make as much as the Star Wars films but they were successful.

Mandolorian has been a smash hit all over the world - none of the new Star Trek shows have achieved that level

Maybe not yet but SNW might yet.

so I don’t see how people are going to get bored of Star Wars but you think Star Trek is somehow destined for better.

Yes Star Trek is destined for better.

I am enjoying both Franchises. I just watch and enjoy. I never overthink any of it.

I will say when it's good or bad do and Discovery was mostly rubbish.

All the live action Star Wars shows so far have been good even if some had there problems like the biker gang in one of them or the slow pace in Obi One.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I meant to typed that the Star Wars sequels were massive box office successes in the billions. The Star Treks were no where near that and are moderate successes.

You are comparing the franchises (which is something I don’t do as they are completely different in every way - chalk and cheese) so the fact that star wars made more money is very relevant.

There is no way that any Star Trek makes an impact like Mandolorian has. Even other Star Wars projects won’t match it. It isn’t just the series itself or the storytelling but the Baby Yoda merchandise that is sucking in the money.

Star Trek is never going to match Star Wars for audience interest. Did Patrick Stewart’s return as Picard light up the world the way a green puppet did? The hell it did.

You do overthink when it comes to both of these franchises. So do I. That is why you and I are here.

All the star wars live action shows so far have been good” and “Discovery was mostly rubbish”. I thought you said Trek was doing better than Star Wars and had greater to come?

The whole “franchise fatigue” argument has really been flogged to death at this stage. Your earlier post suggested you were personally bored with Star Wars and enjoying Trek more. Your last post suggests the opposite.

I don’t even know why you were complaining in the first place. You said Disney was being “desperate”. That whole post makes zero sense. It sounds like you just lashing out at the idea of a childrens’ cartoon.

Ms

No I have no problem with Star Wars having a children's cartoon they have had a few already. It makes perfect sense for Star Wars. Even Star Trek has a children's Cartoon now in Prodigy which is actually not bad.

It's just that the last week or so Disney have announced a rake of Star Wars shows and yes I think the Franchise will hit a fatigue point like Star Trek did after Enterprise for some years.

All the star wars live action shows so far have been good” and “Discovery was mostly rubbish”. I thought you said Trek was doing better than Star Wars and had greater to come?

Yes Discovery was/is rubbish but it has given Star Trek one of its best new shows in "Strange New Worlds" and what I meant is that it's looking better for Star Trek for the future not that it's doing better than Star Wars but its making a better show now than any of the Star Wars ones.

Yes Star Wars might have a bigger audience but it has been deminished a lot over the last decade or so compared to before that mostly because of the damage the last three films done to it compared to Star Trek which has gained new audience over the last decade or so and I think there will come a time when both even out.

I do love both Franchises Star Wars for fun and Star Trek for real world ideas, science, teamwork and it's point of view on real world issues and humanity because that is what Star Trek is supposed to be not like Discovery but like TNG or TOS or DS9 or SNW. They are Star Trek at its best.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't stand any of the High Republic stuff, they don't want to set them during the films/tv eras as those are important and they don't want to go further back to Revan/Old republic as that's popular and if Disney ever do adapt it (More than a Holocron in Rebals/CLone wars forget which) they want a clean slate.

So High Republic it is, their own little corner to **** in.

Your original post about Young Jedi Adventures was very negative and you then you hammered on that Star Wars is in a desperate. Then you change your mind over the last few pairs until saying the opposite now to the first post.

I don’t even now what to say to that.

As to the “fatigue” thing - it is the just a load of cobblers. Marvel is going to experience that fatigue, Star Wars isn’t, Trek isn’t.

You maybe tired of a franchise but that is you. It isn’t everyone.

I don’t know much about the High Republic except the various I angels that show up on the Star Wars website and that the bad guys seem to be anarchist Vikings or something.

I have been wanting to ask though doesn’t a war in that era go against continuity? In AotC Palpatine says the Republic has been at peace for a millennium.

If one were to give them the benefit of the doubt you could point to the scale, as it's not a full on galactic war.

It's a pretty separate group from the rest of the star wars stuff behind the High republic, has some name which I forget and none seem to know much about star wars in general.

I suppose scale could be important.

I saw video of a writers room when the announced the High Republic and they were just throwing random “cool ideas” on a white board and making stories from that inside of coming up with story first.

That is progress I suppose though - at least they had meetings about it unlike the Sequels which was just random ideas and no story.

The

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Say what you will about the Lucas era, LucasArts had something of a freer reign to explore and play with the universe than the Disney era. The High Republic born from that sense of willingness to mess with the world a bit. Disney are crippled by a driver towards pandering to nostalgia and that narrow sense of what Star Wars is. It feels like they bought The Empire, The Rebels, Skywalkers etc and have no idea what to do with the rest - especially the old Expanded Universe stuff.

• Advertisement

They did use the Old Expanded Universe stuff.

The Sequel trilogy is a mix of the EU, Easter eggs and a copy of the OT.

It probably why they ended the EU.

This will be an interesting watch.

Vice TV’s ‘Icons Unearthed: Star Wars’ Series Debuts With First Ever On Camera Interview With George Lucas’ Ex-Wife, Marcia

Vice TV will world premiere its new Icons Unearthed series on July 12 with the first installment of a 6-hour deep dive into the Star Wars Universe.

In Icons Unearthed: Star Wars Marcia Lucas, Oscar-winning film editor and ex-wife of George Lucas, sits down for her first-ever on-camera interview and provides unique insight into the rise of LucasFilm — including her 14-year marriage to and eventual divorce from George Lucas — the editing of the original Star Wars trilogy, the origin of the idea that Darth Vader would be Luke’s father and if there were really originally plans for nine movies.

Icons Unearthed: Star Wars also includes exclusive interviews with Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, Paul Hirsch, Phil Tippett, Rick Baker, Ken Ralston, John Dykstra, Howard Kazanjian, Julian Glover, Ian McDiarmid, Gus Lopez, Tom Spina and many more. Icons Unearthed: Star Wars is narrated by Michael Pennington, who portrayed Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod in Return of the Jedi..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Quinlan Vos appeared briefly in Episode 1 and now Kenobi mentions him... surely he will have a major appearance soon...

I don’t think that is correct.

He was created in the Dark Horse Star Wars comics like Aayla Secura. Where she was shown in Episode II & III and had a role in TCW, Quinlan Vos is only mentioned in Episode III (by Obi-Wan).

However, both be and Secura had adventure with the three main characters in TCW, so Vis had had his major appearance - depending on your opinion of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'll have to do a bit of googling, good sir, thanks for the info..👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

"Quinlan Vos" was in Episode I. Granted, the character hadn't been realised at the time of shooting Episode I, but his appearance was based off of that background extra, and subsequent canon books place him in Mos Espa at the same time Qui Gon and Kenobi were there. So the extra is essentially Quinlan Vos.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/1e/VosAndRags.png

I never watched the cartoon but going by the thumbnail that's some likeness they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's uncanny

• Advertisement

Wonder if we'll get a Freddie Prinze Jr. force ghost for Kanan.

Advertisement