Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've enjoyed Mandalorian but I'd boldly speculate its success was built off the obsession for Baby Yoda; stands to reason Disney would know the power of a cute mascot, precision-engineered for adorability, but it was also something of a once-off. It'll be interesting to see how that Boba Fett show fares, or indeed any of the other spin-offs. Heck, Mandalorian season 3 for that matter given Baby Yoda (yes, he has a name but "Grogu"?? Pffh) has departed. Disney+ original content does seem aggressively geared towards Marvel/Star Wars shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, Baby Yoda is probably the only home-run, instantly beloved Star Wars creature since actual Yoda 😁 It may have been heavily influenced by the desire to sell toys... but it's impossible to deny the appeal.

On Boba Fett, though, my concern is that's exactly the type of 'extended universe' gubbins that ultimately dilutes down the appeal of the original stories. There was a particular magic to Boba Fett as he was a character almost entirely defined by mystery in his original appearances - the costume alone doing all the heavy work. Lucas diluted mystery with the prequels, Mandalorian did some eyebrow-raising resurrection work, and now we have an entire series focused on him. The show may be perfectly fine on its own terms, but it's once again a case of that initial, unspoken and IMO very cinematic magic being chiselled away, spin-off by spin-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

weird that they only get credited as stunts then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s mad looking back now to how hyped I was for TFA. I had it in my head it was the opportunity to see Star Wars on the big screen without the faults of the prequels, kind of like I was focused on everything they did wrong I forgot what they did right. And looking back at a trilogy that basically got everything wrong bar the effects it’s only now that I can appreciate that.

For all the faults of the prequels, they managed to tell a cohesive story about the fall of the republic and Anakins transformation to Vader. And I think had you had someone to rewrite George’s dialog(and ditched Jar-Jar) a lot of people would be far happier.

The sequels wouldn’t nearly be that easy to fix. You’d probably need a complete rewrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In a feature on the Boba Fett series in the current Empire, Jon Favreau describes how the resurrection came about. Apparently he wanted to bring back Feenec Shand but decided he needed someone big to rescue her. And who could that be? I'm a bit surprised such a big twist in the mythology could come about on a showrunner's whim like that. Would he have had to clear it with Kathleen Kennedy (or whoever) before going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently because Patty Jenkins will now only produce Paramount's Cleopatra movie, Rogue Squadron may be back on the cards as an active project for Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not. It's the cheapest Star Wars resurrection thing Disney could have done and therefore right up their street.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm surprised they didn't just go with "Somehow, Fennec Shand returned".

It was always coming: Fett has been resurrected countless times in the pre-Disney spin-off media. It's probably one of the few things you can't completely hang around their neck given Fett has endured as a fan obsession for years.

At least this spin-off seems mildly interesting as a concept; while Temuera Morrison has given the character a bit of edge and presence - which is more than can be actually said for the version we actually saw in the OT.

Yeah I never got the love for Boba Fett from the OT. F*cker does absolutely nothing. Doesn't even capture Han, just tracks him and then arranges to take him off Vader.

His appearance in The Mandalorian though, and even the trailers for BOBF have me far more interested in the character than anything from the OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But it just seems so random the way it happened in the Mandalorian; I'd vaguely assumed Disney/Lucasfilm were working off some grand masterplan with these spinoffsand are wary about messing with the 'canon'. Instead Favreau decided he needed a revived Fett to advance the plot and the bosses just said off with you. Next he tells them he wants to bring back Yoda and the lads at head office will be like

Oh, I don't disagree that if what Favreau says is true it's glib and a bit - as you say - whatever. Continues to show Star Wars as being a little rudderless at the top-tier. But at least that flippancy is being followed-up with what appears to be a half-interesting, vaguely creative idea; Boba Fett mixed into a Mob Bosses tale is not a bad use of the character.

Just shows that whatever else it is, Star Wars would have been nothing in the cultural consciousness were it not for its stellar, arresting designs. 'Cos you say, Fett did nothin' bar stand around in a set of cool-looking armour and accidentally establish generations of cosplay.

There was a sequence in The Mandalorian, where Fett absolutely wrecked a bunch of stormtroopers; even Morrison's unfortunate paunch couldn't ruin what was - finally - a demonstration of why Fett was supposedly so feared and ruthless. Morrison wisely played it, not with Jedi calm, but full of píssed off energy when part of it was sans-helmet. Made a nice change for a franchise that loves its stoic heroes.

I know some people hate this obvious fan-indulging retreading (and god knows I may yet swing back that way myself), but if you gotta pull a character back from the dead, there are worse ways to do it.

and few better characters to do it with. Like you say he did nothing in the OT except stand around and look cool BUT he clearly had the respect of others in the Star Wars universe. With his own series we can finally find out how he gained such respect. While it may have been a glib decision a good idea is a good idea no matter how someone comes up with it.

I nearly think he became so popular because of his toys. He had a jetpack, missile launcher in it, cool guns, cool design. Even though he did nothing in the films, that probably lifted him into the young fanbases minds and built his character up, making him more of an icon than because of his film appearances.

most definitely. he was much more amazing in our imagination than he ever was on screen.

He might have showed up here and there in EU stuff but I don't think Fett was ever considered "officially" alive until he showed up in 'The Mandalorian' though. So it is firmly around Disney's neck.

And, frankly, I can't stand Morrison as Boba Fett. His Kiwi accent just keeps bringing me out of the story every single time.

As for what we "saw in the OT", that suited me fine. He was only ever supposed to be a third tier baddie that ends up getting his just deserts. The fan wank surrounding him has always perplexed me TBH and his inclusion in any pre-OT material was always absolutely wretched.

Well, I'd say that 'The Mandalorian' was probably always supposed to be the Bobby show in the first place. But Disney, for some reason, just didn't have the balls to go there, and instead "introduced" him during its run, dipping their toe in the water as it were. I thought it was awful when he showed up. But by the time he appeared, it was obvious he was going to do so. Perhaps Disney chickened out centring a show around a bad guy character without securing a solid TV audience first.

And agreed, if they did try and necro Yoda, I'd hardly be surprised myself.

@pixelburp I know some people hate this obvious fan-indulging retreading (and god knows I may yet swing back that way myself), but if you gotta pull a character back from the dead, there are worse ways to do it.

There are certainly worse ways to do it alright, and we've seen it done very badly in Star Wars god knows. But the only thing I want from this show is to know is just how he got out of that desert anus, especially now that special ed versions showed that it has a beak. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭buried

The reason Fett is so popular is because he is the most intelligent villain portrayed in the most intelligent film of the series, The Empire Strikes Back.

The sequential editing and music score design to go with the scene when his ship follows the Millennium Falcon is brilliantly crafted, its that 30 seconds bit of movie magic that cemented the characters popularity.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Its the Kiwi accent that makes it for me. I love the accent anyway, but hearing non UK/US voices in the universe is a nice change. While Morrison looks the part of someone who Gets Things Done. All we need is Fett having some downtime playing his favourite sport, Rugh'bee.

IIRC though the extended universe was considered canon enough before the Disney Era that Fett's various resurrections were "official". Heck we have even seen a few EU creations start to bleed through, like Thrawn. As said already, Boba Fett endured cos the armour and toy was cool. It was as simple as that really!

• Advertisement

The EU was always just what ifs. It was consigned to the "Legends" bin most of the time and they were never considered really part of the timeline by Lucasfilm. And Disney considered it even less as they chucked all of it in the bin of course.

That bits and pieces are bleeding through now into Disney canon was always going to happen though. There's too much of a pool to draw from.

As for Morrison's Kiwi accent, the problem is that it's just too on the nose for me. It would be like giving him a Cork or Kerry accent. It just always brings me back down to planet earth with a thud in a way that British or American accents don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hard to argue that Lucasfilm didn't consider the EU "part of the timeline" when they literally had a timeline at the start of all the books, comics, and some of the games and toys. It wasn't some 3rd party that just licensed the IP and making their own stuff.

Even the clone wars cartoon touched on a load of it and not just the simple stuff, they had **** abeloth and the father/son/daughter in it.

It's not hard to argue at all. George Lucas, himself, said that the EU was a "parallel universe". He only ever considered the films to be the actual story of Star Wars. But I presume that he included the likes of 'The Clone Wars' too.

He would poach things from it from time to time if he wanted. But he's on record as saying that he never read any of it and that he didn't really know that much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Peter Ramsey (Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse) has signed on to direct and episode of Ahsoka.

In an interview with Kathleen Kennedy, she confirmed that the Rian Johnson trilogy is on hold/hiatus. She quotes Knives Out and his Netflix deal though I suspect Disney had gone cold after their obvious, panicked about turn for Episode IX

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Basically she dropped the ball so hard that Star Wars is now a backwards-looking, TV-only franchise.

If you read the article, the other major cinema adaptions are still live (Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron, Taika Watiti's own film), albeit still gestating. So cinema hasn't been abandoned it seems.

TBH, Star Wars was always going to pivot to TV - cos Disney+ needed content, and it would have been some misfire for Disney not to commission a bunch of shows. And the service seems keen to greenlight anything nostalgic, be it Star Wars, or Home Alone / Might Ducks sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I thought announcements like this would be be tomorrow.

and I thought the event was starting later.

what panel was that announced at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I thought Filoni was directing all the episodes.

Advertisement