Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

hold on ... I thought Kanan was just blinded..???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Think you might have missed most of the last season or maybe all of it, it's not something that happened the last few minutes of the last episode where you could have miss it.

something to look forward to.!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd not be surprised. It has been a thought vaguely coalescing in my brain but the success of the streaming shows, and broad failure of recent movies, has made me wonder if Star Wars becomes a franchise for Disney+ first & foremost.

• Advertisement

It's starting to look that way alright, although I'm sure the movie-well is one they'll go back to sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Let's hope the Waititi movie gets axed as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

His clout will be an interesting path to chart: Love & Thunder made bank, sure; but has also got an absolute shellacking and many opinions - including mine - have amounted to patience shrivelled for his comedy styling. God knows Disney freaked-out when they saw the mostly-finished Lord & Miller cut of Solo ... to the extent they got Ron Howard to reshoot the whole movie: what might they be thinking about a predominantly comedic Star Wars?

Well, if anyone had any clue at how to handle Star Wars over at the Mouse House, they never would have considered Waititi in the first place. How anyone could seriously put him forward as a possible director choice for something like that, especially in the wake of the extreme backtracking with Lord + Miller, is beyond me.

Waititi has his place, for sure, but Star Wars isn't it.

You can do humour in Star Wars, it's not totally impossible. Everything from Family Guy to Lego to Robot Chicken have had official dalliances - heck most official was proably Star Wars Detours, the Seth Green produced show that had 39 episodes produced - but never released. Mind you, from what I've seen via YouTUbe it looked like total shíte so... yeah. Undermining my own argument lol.

I think could have a Star Wars comedy, I just don't think Watiti is the man to do it 'cos his biggest flaw, shown by JoJo Rabbit and Love & Thunder, is that he has forgotten how to marry the battle of drama and gags. He seems to think you can smash Nazis or Stage 4 Cancer into his comedy styling ramped up to 11, and it'll just work.

But then yes, if Lord & Miller had too much comedy going on, I'm not sure why they think Watiti wouldn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I've enjoyed Waititi's Mandalorian episodes, so wouldn't write off a SW feature made by him either.

The big bugbear for me is that his work for Disney/Marvel has come at the expense of WWDITS, Wellington Paranormal, and the long-promised We're Wolves. One has dropped in quality, another ceased production, while the latter has seemingly been shelved indefinitely.

There's humour and there's humour though. And there's comedy and there's comedy.

A Han Soloesque sarky line here and there is fine, like in 'Star Wars' or 'The Empire Strikes Back'. Or C3PO and R2D2's interactions. But prequel style stepping in shit or fart jokes should be an absolute no. Likewise, meta jokes should be thrown in the bin as soon as they raise their ugly head. Ditto for comedy characters like Jar Jar.

With regards to 'Family Guy' and 'Robot Chicken', they're comedy programs taking the piss out of something, and that's great because clearly the two Seths love the movies that are the targets of their humour. They're also very funny too. However, the thing they're taking piss out of shouldn't then descend to taking the piss out of itself.

Star Wars was essentially a dramatic piece in the originals, with a slight level of humour chucked in here and there, although one could make the case that 'Return of the Jedi' was tipping the balance more toward the humour direction in numerous places. Sure the drama isn't on the level of 'Eastenders' or whatnot, but there are stakes for the protagonists (and subsequently the audience) to observe. But the humour was kept strictly to a minimum...and that's a good thing. However, handing something like Star Wars over to a guy who's one trick is quirkily humorous takes on everything will result in an absolute disaster. If people thought the terrible jokes in 'The Last Jedi' were a tonal mess, then they'll flip tables if Waititi does his thing, that's for damn sure.

Waititi has already shown the affect he'll have with his turns in the MCU, although I haven't (and probably won't) seen 'Thor Love and Thunder'. But 'Thor Ragnarok' was already the writing on the wall. That film was such a shift in tone from the movies that preceded it that it feels like it belongs to a different set of movies altogether, even if the previous movies were kinda twee themselves. Now, as a standalone comedy 'Thor Ragnarok' is fine and quite funny. But as a continuation piece it's a bloody disaster and from the feedback on 'Thor Love and Thunder', that sounds even worse.

I agree that Waititi's efforts to pick a lane are, practically, non-existent, but why can't producers at Disney not see that? Are their choices, literally, just down to "this person is a director and some of their stuff has hit big, let's give them a Star Wars movie"? Because that isn't working out too well.

Yea, that was a good one... an importantly, written by Favreau....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Could have done without the bit with the scout troopers missing the target from a metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Damon Lindelof developing a new Star Wars movie to be directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Ms Marvel)

As for what the film is actually focused on, that will remain an under wraps as this project remains one of more guarded secrets in all of Hollywood. As for when we will see this film, while it still seems a ways off……

For the first time in a long time, Andor has been a Star Wars story not entirely beholden to required demographics and has been a mature, interesting story. Like they finally realised it doesn't have to be all cutesy mascots and simple emotionality.

It's oddly weird to read of the franchise still tinkering with the idea of another attempt at film - if Disney+ means more Andors than yes to this, no to PG blockbusters trying to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shawn Levy in talks to direct a Star Wars film once he is finished filming Deadpool 3

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LEGOJim1989

I'd like to see the Yuuzhan Vong come in for a post-sequel trilogy with an older Rey and a chance for the guy who directed the Mandalorian to create a cohesive trilogy without the pulling and pulling in directions for different directors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LEGOJim1989

Also gutted that the Rogue Squadron film has been shelved, what a game that was

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Andor ratings seem to be pretty poor yet by all accounts is a decent show, have they managed to get the to the point where their audience doesnt care anymore?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Aardman and our own Cartoon Saloon are among the next batch of animation studios to work on Star Wars: Visions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gromit with a lightsaber!!! 😁

Googled/Checked wiki.. my notes..

I really should watch some of the Cartoon Studio films. I've been meaning too.. like Song of the Sea and all.

punkrobot looks like it'll lean young..

Studio Mir does Harley Quinn and did a show I've heard a lot about but not seen called The Legend of Korra .. OH! and The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. That was good!

Only recognise the title love death and robots from studiolacachette .. but haven't seen it or their specific special for it called: sucker of souls

elguiristudios seem to have nothing on the two of their websites I found.. they might do 3d stuff based on this .. blog is it? https://www.cartoonbrew.com/tools/lytro-rodrigo-blaas-collaborate-vr-short-using-new-volume-tracer-154013.html

88 Pictures worked on a film Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia .. which was a film in.. eh.. "Netflix's final movie installment of Guillermo del Toro's Tales of Arcadia" .. yeah there that

D'art Shtajio .. look like mainstream anime and have had some involvement in Castlevania and Attack on Titan. I don't follow music enough recently but also The Weeknd ‘Snowchild’ Music Video? The Weeknd is popular right?

triggerfish studios .. have so many different looking types of animation.. I couldn't guess which they might bring. One looked powerpuff girls style, one looked find nemo style. I didn't recognise any of the names but the Disney logo was on one.

There's an upcoming, official Star Wars convention April 7 to 10th and the rumours are it'll be finally when Disney clarify the plans for the next films set in the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s 4 years since ROS, any plans they make now will prob be 3 years in the making, I think that’s a decent gap to give to come up with something better then what we got.

Hopefully Andor is the template and they use how good that (and elements of Mando) showed how to make proper stories and characters you care about.

Still can’t get over how good Andor was, the last episode was so good and the brief dog fight in space was used to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

While I'd hope Andor will spawn other thematically interesting and mature ideas on TV Star Wars, there's probably little chance any new movie will be more complex than a Four Quadrant blockbuster. And with Dave Filoni in ascendancy, seems chance are good it'll just be more Nostalgia indulgences. I suppose after the Trainwreck that was RoS the best we can hope for is the new films are at least watchable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Oh I can see this going down well, let the positive sentiments commence

Advertisement