Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Munster can't possibly lose this" Leinster v Munster build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That was - either way it ended - a very entertaining game and ended up being a very enjoyable evening out. Looking forward to watching it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Larmour-Osborne-Frawley-Foley second try: https://streamable.com/18b1ou

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

When your dummy fools the cameraman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't get the criticism of Murphy for this game. He called the offenses that happened. Clear as day penalty try. He wasn't let the teams get away with messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

>JVG made European knockouts 4/5 times and league playoffs every time

And won nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think it comes down to a few things:

1. The first game he reffed between the teams in Thomond a few years ago. Leinster uncharacteristically lost their discipline and got 2 yellows and a red in the first half (iirc they were their first cards of the season). They were the right calls, but I’d wager some fans still have that in mind.
    2. He misses a lot / leaves a lot go (depending on your reading)
    3. He occasionally makes some weird decisions in conjunction with the TMO.

Yesterday, the one that was annoying me was that he was calling advantage-over from a knock-on even within the first phase and a team going backwards. That’s not advantage. The best you could say is that he was doing it for both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It was a maul, going forward, dragged down by a player entering from the side a metre from his own try line. It was a penalty try all day.

They’ve definitely been present, imo; I think in the last Leinster game, our lineout went to pot when he came on.

I agree with regards Scannell tho. I’ve high hopes for Scott Buckley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Munster have failed to progress, each time they rock up with the same game plan, get beat and move on

The players are able to produce 1-2 large performances and then it’s seen as progress only to disappear. It’s the same this season, Leinster beat Munster in Thomond, then a couple of display. Talk of progress and bang gone again

He doesn’t have the ability to progress young player either into the team like other provinces have.

im not sure why you play Carbery at 10 and then play a game plan which suits Healy? They have done that a few times

The answer to all questions is a SA player

Thr list goes on. MOC got to a semi, won the URC equivalent but was a poor coach and was rightly moved on.

Benetton won the Rainbow Cup last year, are you telling me it’s irrational for Munster to think they should have won that as the best team in the competition by a distance?

3:34 in. Posted without further comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Personally I think it needs to be accepted that the players aren't there.

I think that's only partly true tbh. While Munster have a couple of weaknesses in the squad (front row being the most pressing), the players at JVG's disposal now are better than the ones he inherited from Rassie, but performances have not improved.

After five seasons, there should be some indication of progress and a discernible JVG style of play but there is neither.

Making the league playoffs is the minimum expectation for Munster. Qualifying for European knockouts has been consistent, fair enough, even if it's become a whole lot easier in recent years. What we did not see was an increased probability of Munster beating the better European teams

I dunno, I just feel we've all been treading water for five years waiting for either JVG to show us something or to just move on.

Munster have failed to progress, each time they rock up with the same game plan, get beat and move on

This just isn’t accurate tho. Here (and the last few times we’ve played Leinster) we’ve had far higher passes-per-phase and offloads than we had versus previous box-kick-fests v Leinster.

He doesn’t have the ability to progress young player either into the team like other provinces have.

This also isn’t true. It’s been shown on here countless times, over the last season and a half or more, JVG has increasingly backed the young guys.

im not sure why you play Carbery at 10 and then play a game plan which suits Healy? They have done that a few times

What game plan do they play which suits Healy but not Carbery? Genuinely interested.

The answer to all questions is a SA player

This, again, isn’t true. 9 academy players were promoted last season.

Benetton won the Rainbow Cup last year, are you telling me it’s irrational for Munster to think they should have won that as the best team in the competition by a distance?

You know Leinster were in the Rainbow Cup too, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster paid lip service to the rainbow cup given its scheduling amongst European knock outs

As I am sure you are aware Leinster threw the Rainbow cup as they had won the league and concentrated on the HC, Munster beat them and the trophy was open to win but JVG failed.

Ya, I’d agree to large extent, but in a tournament with so few fixtures, the variance is higher. One slip up and it’s over; hence Benetton winning.

How about the others points I made?

The issue is Frank telling the (Munster) tackler to release, the (Munster) tackler not releasing, and then Frank deciding to play on with tackling team (Munster) gaining the ball. The penalty was given for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

When you’re the only person making this point then maybe it’s time to reevaluate it.

Which is maybe why it might be a good idea to post with comment in future? (I played the clip with the sound off).

Did Murphy get his knee to the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It almost doesn’t matter. Murphy calls tackler to release. He can only do that when the tackle is complete. The ball is stripped after that, which is then illegal. He is literally contradicting himself. He is saying the tackle is complete and allowing a strip after that. I haven’t seen the game so can’t comment on performances of players or officials, but that snap shot is pretty poor stuff.

• Advertisement

I see the point, but my larger point is that the poor decisions happened against both sides. Which some on here are overlooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Murphy was grand. Like, you'll always find errors in every game by every ref if you're looking for them.

He got all the big calls right and he didn't influence the result. That's as much as you can ask for in the era of hyper analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Jvg should have gone 2 if not 3 years ago he talks about pride and the Munster way but was never good enough to manage Munster when you look back in all that has gone on the sparkle has just been missing

Disagree. At the time, he had reached 2 European SF’s and 2 Pro 14 SF’s. That was when Felix Jones and Jerry Flannery were replaced with Larkham and Rowntree too, which was largely regarded as an upgrade at the time.

I think he deserved another 2 years with that coaching team.

Nah I’m ok on the other points, you have opinion and I have mine

based on JVG track record since he was made head coach I am happy with mine

Fair enough. Fwiw, I’m happy he’s going now too, particularly with Prendergast coming back.

Genuinely interested in the Carbery v Healy point tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭TRC10

I've thought for a while now that Healy is a better 10. Carbery had a good game v Exeter, but overall Healy has been in better form and far more consistent this season. Carbery plays like a guy filling in at 10. He has never really looked natural in that position. Leinster knew this 5 years ago. He reminds me of seeing James O'Connor playing 10 for Australia. Great player, just not a great 10.

Harry Byrne has had a tough season and some poor games. He was solid last night, he did his job well without shooting the lights out. But watching him play, it's obvious that he's a 10. He knows how to play there, he's got a good pass, squares up before distributing and he mostly made the correct decisions. You would never think he's better suited to another position. Likewise Ben Healy, you watch him play and you just know he's a 10 and he's been a 10 for a long time. He just get's it. It's an eye test of sorts, difficult to put your finger on.

You never get that watching Carbery. He's clearly a very good rugby player, but that doesn't always correlate to being a very good 10. There are nuances to playing that position that he just doesn't have. He wasn't even a 10 in school ffs.

Anyway, JVG isn't going to change now, with possibly one game left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

This is a team with 2 or 3 international starters, what makes you believe they deserve to be lifting trophies?

• Advertisement

I nearly admire you for sticking with your man but in reality van Grann should have been paid off and sent on his way 2 years ago. It's been a fairly dismal tenure, imo, and listing off knock-out games we got to and lost doesn't change that for me.

Advertisement