Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Munster can't possibly lose this" Leinster v Munster build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Why do you think he took the quick tap? Because we had to score two tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just saw the highlights! Some very nice tries! Carberry couldn't tackle a bowl of custard! We're fucked if he's the next option after Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've never been more disappointed after a Leinster win.

Nah, **** those sentiments. I absolutely loved that win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yeah but he literally telegraphed it and allowed Leinster time to reset. Dress it up any way you want, it was awful decision making

It was a hugely impressive performance and a great indication of our depth - but from an Ireland perspective we've a major rugby talent producing province getting run into the ground by chancers. I'm not happy about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It was great seeing Adam Byrne really getting stuck in to Earls. He has been so unfortunate with regards to injuries for essentially his entire career. He could have been something special for Leinster if he ever got a clear run of fitness.

Byrne can do a lot of good for Connacht if he stays injury free. They play a fast paced style of rugby which suits his strengths. Wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Agreed! It's bewildering that this fella was offered another contract. He's going to a team that's very poor and that will benifit him. Bath can't really go anywhere but up. VanGrann is awful.

That said, Munster should really be looking at Healy to start. Carberry is not a very good out half. Casey should also be starting, Murray is so ponderous and telegraphs just about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'd say coaches are looking at Frawley at ten tbh, his distribution is excellent and seems to have all the attributes to excel, plus he's adventurous. HB wasn't bad today, but no better than I'd have expected from Ross, and Carbery has to take some responsibility for how aimless Munster were.

I also wonder about Penney going, he's an excellent player whose prospects are maybe limited at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I think all Irish rugby fans can agree at the end of the game “losing” JVG to Bath is a blessing

Never thought the guys was up to the job and still think the same

The coaching ticket for next year seems exciting and hopefully can progress Munster forward

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

JOD/Kendellen played exceptionally well in Munster’s biggest game of the year only two weeks ago. They both start over Cloete/Hodnett right now.

Very debatable with regards Hodnett, tbh. He’s had a brilliant season. He’s been ahead of Cloete with regards selection and Kendellen has only recently started playing at 7 for Munster.

Jump_In_Jack is right tho; I’ve been hearing all week about how it’s a “full strength Munster” but the reality is we were missing almost half of our first choice 15 and almost half of our first choice 23.

(Admittedly, it still should’ve been enough to win the game, but I always felt it was going to be closer than was being made out).

Munster’s team on paper should be winning that game. Trying to make excuses isn’t going to bring the changes that are needed to progress.

The changes have already been made on the coaching side. I think we have the bones of good attacking play, and I’m hopefully Prendergast can get the most out of this team.

• Advertisement

Absolutely nothing to be gained from that victory. Never been more disappointed to see Leinster beat Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

A lot of players in Leinster colours put a huge amount of time and effort into that victory, some getting first caps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

They did but the unwarranted penalty try ruined the game, there's no excuse for it. A great match marred by an absolutely awful decision

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭VayNiice

Too many excuses.

It was still the strongest team Munster had available vs a bunch of development players and a few lads who are retiring. Snyman has only played a matter of minutes for Munster so counting him is nonsense - Kleyn would be in Munsters staring XV normally, as would JOD all season - Munster fans are constantly saying should be in the Irish team.

Kendellan and Ahern are the future of Munster and have had plenty of involvement lately too. Earls could easily be part of Munsters first 15 and if Archer is deemed a loss well then thats just depressing.

This cuts both ways as well tho. For example, there was a suggestion earlier in the week that McCarthy is seen as a James Ryan level talent. There’s regularly plenty of suggestions saying Penny, Deegan and Frawley should be getting international caps. That Larmour’s having a great season. And the infamous “Harry Byrne is far too good for the Pro 14”.

I also don’t understand why counting one of the best locks in the world is nonsense. If he was fit, he’d clearly be part of our first choice 15.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭KH25

Just home from the game. Obviously happy that Leinster won, but I feel Munster regressed in the second half after scoring. Up to that point I felt Munster always had that ability to turn things around and score.

What stood out to me though was Frank Murphy. He’s dreadfully inconsistent on both sides and clearly not up to standard.

Waiting to watch replay but there was literally a 0-60 escalation in reffing, there were no warnings in the play leading up to it but suddenly +7 is added to the scoreline for **** all, absolutely **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think it was a very harsh pen try. But in the ref’s mind the action of a player in collapsing the maul to stop a certain try is 7 points and it was double whammy with the yellow.

I am not certain it was definitely going to be a try. And perhaps good to see again how it was formed from the line out.

I think a Leinster player did early in the first half deleiberately knock on and that should have seen the same result.

• Advertisement

Keep an eye on Scannell when you catch the replay. The maul was marching forward towards the line and he just lies down in the middle pulling the leinster player down in the process. That close to the line and with that maul momentum it's a penalty try all day.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You do not need any build up or escalation to award a penalty try.

All you need to do is to decide if a try would probably have been scored if the foul play hadn't happened.

Saying Munster were missing Snyman today would be like saying Leinster were missing Leavy (before he announced his retirement). Snyman hasn't played for munster aside from a few minutes and after two ACL tears he may never be the same player when he gets back.

Also i think most leinster fans would rather see Frawley ahead of Harry Byrne at 10, which would make him 4th choice outhalf - but that's just deflecting from the point I was making that that munster side is not as depleted as some people are making out.

You'd have to think of all the players van Grann has kept as favourites, Scannell has repaid him least. At least two costly turnovers in the first half too.

It's possibly unfair to say it but watching him today you'd never think he'd once been part of Irish squads. I hope he knows himself what's happened his career because from the outside looking in i can't quite think of a player in recent years who's regressed so badly. Injuries have hampered him i suppose but i'd love to have a frank conversation with Rowntree about why he's starting. i know there's a reason for it, but it totally escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Apart from DDA that was the first choice munster backline. Maybe some might argue for zebo but at the expense of who. DDA leaving, cloete leaving and RG who has seen more gasoline in his hands as a munster player than the rugby ball. Additionally archer isn't something to be klinging to. Munster were missing beirne, POM, Coombes and killer. The rest not so much of a loss. Leinster had 23 players that came thru academy set up that outside of larmour are not going to challenge to be in the 23 for champions cup final. Munster were clueless in large parts. Outside of Chris farrell being an absolute monster they looked absolutely inept going forward. How JVG and Larkham have not been chased out of limerick before now is bewildering. As well as there academy been as sleep for the best part of the last decade. OK things might be better moving forward with a different coaching ticket but they have alot of work to do to come within an asses roar of the consistency and cohesion of the current Leinster outfit.

“i'd love to have a frank conversation with Rowntree about why he's starting. i know there's a reason for it, but it totally escapes me.”

It’s because we’ve had persistent scrum and line out issues with Barron.

that that munster side is not as depleted as some people are making out.

You have this exactly backwards imo; that Munster side wasn’t as near full strength as some have been making out.

Will be interesting to rewatch it because from the live game, there was never any try being scored from the play. Leinster caught a lucky break but there were a sea of red jerseys between the ball and the try line, it was never going over the line regardless of what happened the maul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Downlinz

JVG made European knockouts 4/5 times and league playoffs every time. Better than Ulster and every other Pro 14 era team in the same period. If that's being labelled as "disappointing" or "disgraceful" or whatever then I wonder how the new coaching setup will deal with that high expectation.

Personally I think it needs to be accepted that the players aren't there. There isn't a single probable starter for Ireland in the Munster ranks other than Beirne or maybe Conway and yet there's an expectation for them to somehow win trophies. It's irrational.

• Advertisement

I can't say i've noticed them but in any event, Scannell is not the answer.

Advertisement