Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Also - And I may be mis-interpreting this , but it seems that the legislation is not actually changing the Protocol , but puts in place the legal means by which they could change the Protocol at a later date.

Again happy to be corrected on that , but as I read it it's a "date for a date" kind of thing without providing the initial date either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

panem et circenses

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brenatron100

Reporters are saying that operative date will be as much as twelve months hence.

The EU can no longer tolerate this amateur hour game playing. Discussions on co-operative measures and sectoral trade arrangement should immediately cease until the British Government can demonstrate that it is acting in better faith. They should be warned that if further game playing is seen, full third Country tariffs and border controls will be enacted at Channel Ports and the Tunnel at Calais.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The EU don't need to do anything.

They made a good statement today, clearly stating that should the UK do something the EU will take action.

This is nothing but a political play, a throw of the dice, by Johnson and his government.

The net continues to close on Brexit, leading to increasingly crazy actions, and with each action, and failure, leads to the reality of Brexit becoming more obvious even to Brexiteers.

Frustratingly long, but it is happening. Johnson is forced to rip up the very deal he won his majority on in order to keep the fin truth coming out.

JRM is in charge of identifying Brexit opportunities, I mean a minister just to think!, and still has nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

JRM is in charge of identifying Brexit opportunities, I mean a minister just to think!, and still has nothing.

That's not very fair. He's obviously got his hands full with fretting over civil servants working from home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Larry Bee

There's an article in the Guardian on three ways the EU could retaliate if and when they do get around to messing around with the protocol. 

1 - End the trade and cooperation agreement (TCA) using articles 770 and 779. But they have to give a years notice to do this.

2 - Suspend the trade parts of the TCA using article 252.

3 - Start a trade war in a week – article 506. Includes suspending access to EU waters and can escalate it to suspend tariff-free trade.

It would seem that if the legislation doesn't actually do anything, then the EU will have to wait until the legislation is used. No harm has come to the EU yet but retaliation would cause harm. Perhaps it should enact its own legislation giving it unilateral powers to terminate the TCA without the one-year wait. A bit of a show and dance to match the UK.

It'll have to come to a head at some point or that meme about my father's father's being a Brexit negotiator will turn out to be true. The EU fight is the drug the UK can't give up. We could sign ourselves up to join the UK to solve every problem and they'd invent new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

Brussels had paused a legal action against the UK, that they initiated after the 1st unilateral action. They could restart that, and have that ticking along in the background as a countdown, while waiting for the UK to actually enact any legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

There’s no need for the EU to take pro-active actions yet: the non-implementation of the TCA by the UK is slowly and inexorably yielding its unavoidable consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is a very clearly expressed article, it looks as though getting rid of all those pesky researchers and scientists to the EU might be a Brexit gain for Rees Mogg - somehow. It will not be a gain for England/Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is a very well balanced article as it states views that exactly align with mine. Worth reading. He even quotes Carson - 'What a fool I was ---'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That Bastion of British media, the Express seemingly did a poll which revealed the obvious, that 94% of its readers haven't got the Brexit that they voted for.

I've no intention of reading tha article in that biased rag but I take it for granted that they didn't ask their readers if they knew what actually kind of Brexit they were voting for.

I presume this just the Express trying to distance itself and its readers from the mess they championed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, we both know what kind of Brexit the Express readers probably wished for. It was never possible outside the outlandish wet dreams of every Anglocentric Fantasist, yearning for a world that doesn't exist anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's Schrodingers Brexit. They knew what they were voting for but this wasn't what they voted for.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭yagan

Tip toeing back towards May's original Backstop.

It is probably via the NIP that GB realigns with the single market. It will be a climb down and a severe loss of face but tragedy + time = comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am sure that it will be announced that the EU will follow British standards. Obviously these deals will be rubberstamped in Brussels and announced as EU regs to let the EU save face as Boris is merciful to his enemies. However it will all come from Boris and the mighty 52% saviours of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Some kind of BRINO was always going to be the only workable solution, it’s just a matter of time until it happens, how much time who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We have heard so much nonsense about the "EU throwing us under the bus" I actually had to check to be sure this was satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭yagan

The cost of living crunch looks more severe in Britain because of brexit so there is scope for economic alignment as a temporary measure which would give everyone a break from Brexit. But I can only see that sneaking in while there's a heave against Bojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The irony of brits containing about malnutrition and able to afford basic food while the country exports wheat!!

Not something I would be in any way gleeful about, the stories if deprivation comming from the uk are horrible!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A country exporting food when it's own population is having affordability problems.

Where did I hear about that before in the last couple of centuries ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Wheat - exports from UK as wheat or flour? Is the wheat they export grown in the UK or imported?

UK wheat is not suitable for bread - it is too soft, and can only be used for Chorelywood bread - that nasty white sliced pan, sold in plastic bags by supermarkets that does not go stale before it goes mouldy.

How would a country export needed food when the poor citizens of the nation are going hungry?

Do they not remember an Gorta Mor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just as Truss is smashing all around her like a bull in a china shop, amused by this tweet from former British Ambassador Alexandra Hall(-Hall):

'Liz Truss has become a genuine expert'. It's breathtaking how this pernicious, lawbreaking UK government have the temerity to tell NI that they will legislate for NI to remove the protocol in their best intetests when the majority clearly favour the protocol.

Johnson did not meet the NI business groups when in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

"we must take the necessary decisions to preserve peace and stability"

The irony is strong on that one....

The decisons the UK made caused the issues, and rather than work with the other co-signatories and co-guarantors they need to be the white(red and blue) knight riding in to save the day...

It's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interesting thread here analysing the tactics of Frost and co.

In summary, the UK is exploiting the war in Ukraine by offering security guarantees to the EU countries most worried about Russia, and in return it believes it can tamper with the Protocol and the EU won't be able to respond with a trade war because the countries threatened by Russia - who Britain is pledging to help - won't row in behind Macron and others because it needs Britain's assistance.

As the thread points out, quite why these threatened countries would place such faith in a British government so untrustworthy is unclear. Basically we're back to the old divide and rule tactic so beloved of Brexiteers.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So effectively, the UK is now banking on going to war with Russia to provide a way out of its Brexit problems.

They were blissfully unaware of the importance of one of their biggest ports and also can't find one of their provinces on a map so I wouldn't be delighted to be going to war with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

"It's breathtaking how this pernicious, lawbreaking UK government have the temerity to tell NI that they will legislate for NI to remove the protocol in their best intetests when the majority clearly favour the protocol."

On todays One O'clock News when Brian Dobson made this very point to the British Ambassador his response was to point out that there is a sizable minority in Northern Ireland opposed to it. So when it came to the Brexit vote only the majority mattered but when it comes to the Protocol the opposite is the case!

Post edited by Hermy on

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's almost like the Unionist veto never left us.

Advertisement