Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A gig I was planning on heading too next week was postponed today due to covid so its definitely not over in that Industry (as well as many others)

There's definitely little pockets of it. I was down in Fota recently. The hotel still had a few covid protocols in place - number limits in the spa, pre-booking system in place, etc. The wildlife park still had the signs up everywhere, various things closed or postponed due to covid, etc. I suspect a lot of these things are being kept in place because they don't actually have the staff to resume full operations, but it's better PR to talk about safety.

It was kind of weird, like stepping back in time 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

where did "let it rip" fail?

you are making things up

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Do the covidistas now realize they got it wrong or is it excuse time?

Totally overblow situation, If I had the time to look over some of the posts from the last two years plenty of people would be squirming

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

nope, not a totally over blown situation at all.

the response was necessary and proportionate and the evidence backs it all up, yes some things were got wrong, some understandable and some outright stupid but the strategy of minimising virus spread has been shown to be absolutely correct.

it's you and the others spreading misinformation still dispite the fact we are back to normal who got it wrong, were always going to be wrong, and were quite rightly ignored and dismissed as it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Disingenuous bile, just throw the "misinformation" slander around when you see facts you don't like.

There was nothing proportionate about it they got it completely wrong, just look at Sweden, they have a lower death rate then the harshest lockdown european countries ...

Scaremongering nonsense, no surprise they just blather on about CASES and not about hospitalizations ... just this pathethic projection

However, as in previous waves, if Covid-19 case numbers increase substantially, some level of increased hospital and ICU admissions is likely to follow.”

Yeah in previous Delta waves, not much in Omicron.

I shouldn't be surprised, the Independent are fearmongering scum that want this to go on and on and on for their clicks.

These journalists should be thrown in jail for the damage they are doing.

SCUM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Like who ?

Norway ? No. Sweden about 8/ 9 times more

Finland , no .

IRELAND , NO ! Sweden 3 times more .

Can you say what countries you are referring to and how they are the harshest just for clarity?

Agree . These are not new variants but sub lineages of Omicron. Not causing any more severe illness or death except higher numbers .

throw the misinformation fact around when i see misinformation more like it.

i love facts, all facts, because they are fact.

sweden only had a slightly lower death rate then britain, none of the other european countries, they would have had an even lower death rate had they implemented restrictions earlier. their health system would have gone under only but for the regional authorities deciding quite rightly that enough was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Here's a fact you'll love then.

The number of covid deaths weekly has been stable since restrictions were lifted, but higher than it was for most of the previous 2 years. And higher than the number Tony Holohan said was unacceptable when it suited him to keep restrictions in place.

Until this week, the number of active cases has been higher than at any time except a month in early 2021.

So the notion that all the restrictions were necessary and proportionate and evidence-based for the time and the government got it right is ludicrous: either the restrictions were justified but should still be in place, or the criteria they were based on were flawed. You can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement

the deaths are stable, but not higher then they were during the pandemic phase.

the cases have been high but given this current varient is mild and is not overwhelming the health and other systems then we have no need for restrictions really, whereas during the pandemic phase when varients were severely problematic and would have overwhelmed everything then there was absolutely no option but to respond and implement the public health measures that were required.

so yes ultimately the restrictions were necessary and proportionate given the grave situation we were in at the time.

no having it both ways, just different responses based on the facts of the situation and where we were and are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

When will the recommendation for masks in healthcare settings and public transport be removed?

I was told last week by a HSE staff member in a healthcare centre that they are legally mandatory 🙄

In Ireland you don't have to wear them in public transport.

So this WHO pandemic treaty, WHO will have absolute power over how nations deal with a pandemic ?

So as they are in bed with China, Shanghai style lockdowns could be on the cards ?

in the meantime 'experts' warn that there will be more pandemics with increasing severity. No evidence required or provided.

God help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sadly,few appear to recognize the scale of the W.H.O's power grab,which is shameful when one appreciates the reality of the W.H.O being a VERY flawed agency,with a highly politicized agenda,little of which has the remotest to do with Health,public of otherwise. Many in Ireland seem to regard the W.H.O as a benign form of the old "Health Authorities" which once dominated Irish Public Health,without realizing that the current situation is threatening to our essentialy safety,wellbeing and freedom.

An indication of how they will push their agenda can currently be seen in how the compliant Media are pushing the "Monkeypox" story,with all the W.H.O fed bylines and photo's pointing towards the super scary end game.

It's just a matter of time now until Ghebreyesus and Ryan ramp up their Fearmongering,perhaps with Glove wearing replacing Masking,but doubtless yet another Vaccination campaign in the wings.

RTE,as always appears keen to get On-Message with 2 articles running tonight....

It would appear that the Gay community may need to keep an eye on these chancers,as the narrative certainly seems to be heading in an odd direction...

Madrid authorities have been working on tracing the cases mainly from a single outbreak in a sauna, regional health chief Enrique Ruiz Escudero told reporters on Friday.

The word sauna is used in Spain to describe establishments popular with gay men looking for sex rather than just a bathhouse.

The UK Health Security Agency has said a notable proportion of recent cases in Britain and Europe have been found in gay and bisexual men.

Anyway,RTE keeps the ball rolling with....

Just in case the plebs are not listening....

WHO officials have expressed concern that more infections could arise as people gather for festivals, parties and holidays during the coming summer months in Europe and elsewhere.

Stay at home...don't be mingling with other humans...(Monkeys are OK )

Another great operation is imminent 😉

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Sure a mask will protect you 🙄🤣

"The health department is encouraging New Yorkers to wear face masks to protect against the new virus outbreak,

Another virus, another mask! New Yorkers told to mask up again after local patient tests POSITIVE for same genus virus as monkeypox: CDC issues alert and WHO calls emergency meeting after US probes six cases while Europe confirms 100"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

It becomes very difficult to ignore who the second biggest financial contributor to W.H.O. is.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Of course there will be future pandemics we knew that long before this latest COVID one

Anybody else catch Kingston Mills this morning talking about Monkeypox? A man who was very worried in November 2020 about what he thought looked to him like a British variant developing around the South East of England is not overly pushed about Monkeypox or this latest variant. Interesting how these things change

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'd suggest RTE have a Lifetime subscription....

Just look at their daily prescription of Covid related stuff,each day being ramped up a wee bit further so as Granny can stay safe in her isolation...

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2022/0524/1300794-covid-omicron-sub-variants-ba2-ba4-ba5/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Not sure why you're referencing the "facts of the situation" when your first statement is another outright lie.

The 7-day average for deaths was consistently 8 or higher all year up to the end of April. (I picked 8 because Holohan stated that 50 deaths a week was unacceptable as one of his criteria for extending restrictions earlier this year).

From May 2020 through to Christmas 2020, including through the entire level 5 lockdown from October, the 7-day average was less than 8.

From April 2021 through to mid-October 2021, the 7-day average was less than 8.

So yes, deaths absolutely were higher since restrictions were lifted "than during the pandemic phase", whatever that means, since we're still actually in it.

Source (which in turn is sourced from HSE data)

• Advertisement

i reference the facts of the situation as not only are the facts of the situation the facts of the situation, but they inform us as to what is and isn't needed at a specific time.

the death numbers i gave you are correct, you are not interpreting correctly the data you are posting.

Newstalk reporting today that hospital numbers have increased by almost 50% in the last 2 weeks. According to the COVID hub

14 days ago - 191

Today - 271

271/191 = 1.418

Bit of a stretch to call that "nearly 50%"

ICU figures are stable at 26

I'll be saying to my local TD's that any restrictions they approve in the Dail will result in them not getting my vote. I suggest everybody else who feels this way does the same. A quick email will suffice which is available on the Oireachtas website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Who's mentioning restrictions??

As for "de numbers", who actually gives a toss apart from the anxiety-ridden, and those in the media that need to fill the airwaves with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The increase is expected due to BA.4/ 5. However Holohan and co said restrictions won’t be returning. Of course we’ll have to listen to the usual zealouts that no doubt will be calling for restrictions and mask mandates. As far as i’m concerned they can F right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

+1 as far as I am concerned anything to do with covid can stay as guidance; I'm not engaging with any more measures that may or may not be imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

Fascinating article, never mentions Ireland but describes the playbook very accurately.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7913136/

Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Feb; 18(4): 1376. 

Published online 2021 Feb 3. doi: 10.3390/ijerph18041376

PMCID: PMC7913136

PMID: 33546144

COVID-19 and the Political Economy of Mass Hysteria

Philipp Bagus,1,* José Antonio Peña-Ramos,2 and  Antonio Sánchez-Bayón3,*

In this article, we aim to develop a political economy of mass hysteria. Using the background of COVID-19, we study past mass hysteria. Negative information which is spread through mass media repetitively can affect public health negatively in the form of nocebo effects and mass hysteria. We argue that mass and digital media in connection with the state may have had adverse consequences during the COVID-19 crisis. The resulting collective hysteria may have contributed to policy errors by governments not in line with health recommendations. While mass hysteria can occur in societies with a minimal state, we show that there exist certain self-corrective mechanisms and limits to the harm inflicted, such as sacrosanct private property rights. However, mass hysteria can be exacerbated and self-reinforcing when the negative information comes from an authoritative source, when the media are politicized, and social networks make the negative information omnipresent. We conclude that the negative long-term effects of mass hysteria are exacerbated by the size of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Are any GP's back running at even semi-normality these days? Just curious. Mine seems to default to phone only appointments. There are probably people getting in for certain types of appointments but otherwise no one is allowed in bar staff, no waiting room etc. Have to communicate over the intercom with the receptionist out on the street, pay and get handed certain medical stuff you may need at the door (not the most privacy conscious method in some instances).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

GPs are a pisstake in this country. Overpaid and underworked as a general comment, they are basically part timers compared to their hospital colleagues. Referrals at best these days is what they're for. COVID was a dream for them.

Nobody is mentioning restrictions, yet, but if history has taught us anything, rising numbers gets followed by restrictions, in saying that the threshold has been vastly raised as the numbers around March has shown

I always check the COVID hub when I hear things on the news about COVID figures, they're all a bit scaremongerish these days

• Advertisement

Doing they always say that "restrictions won't be returning" or something along those lines before restrictions return?

Advertisement