Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This has to be one of the more outrageous statements from Frost:

“It would be entirely reasonable, in my view, for the government to act unilaterally to over-ride key elements of the protocol in domestic law. In so doing, it would be safeguarding its higher obligation to the Belfast Agreement,” he said.

“I personally do not believe that acting against protocol should raise or need raise any issues of wider UK compliance with international law. On the wider issues, our track record speaks for itself. The UK is one of the most outspoken advocates of an international system based on agreed rules.”

In other words, it's alright for us to break international law on this, for no other reason then we normally follow international law and are in favour of it.

Imcredible how he also blames Ireland for 'disrupting the balance' of Northern Ireland, and for using 'vague and destabilising language'

“We should ourselves of course continue to try to work constructively with Ireland bilaterally. But I would like to see Ireland acting in the same spirit, not disrupting the balance in Northern Ireland by constantly using vague and destabilising language about tectonic shifts in the North, where they’re talking the supposed all-Ireland economy.”

Lord give me strength.

And from the IT (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/frost-accuses-dublin-of-disrupting-the-balance-in-northern-ireland-1.4863555): "Mr Frost suggested that Britain should leverage its role in the war in Ukraine to persuade EU member states such as Poland and the Baltic countries to block retaliatory action from Brussels."

“The UK’s relationship with Poland, the Balt[ic]s and others in central and eastern Europe has become a huge and important element in managing the ongoing crisis,” he said. “It may be that some member states who in the past would have been content to tuck in behind the [European] Commission and the France-Germany axis in imposing trade sanctions on the UK for taking action on protocol, maybe they will no longer be able to do so. Maybe they’ll see doing so as entirely self-defeating and I think they’d be right if they thought that.”

Despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So we are back to 'they needs us more than we need them" ! Jesus wept.

Why is Frost even taken seriously anymore. The man should be laughed off the stage everytime he opens his mouth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

“No further import controls on EU goods will be introduced this year – businesses can stop their preparations for July now,” Mr Rees-Mogg said.

Mr Rees-Mogg suggested the government planned a complete overhaul of its border check plans – revealing that end of 2023 was the target for a brand new “controls regime”.

Take back control! Honestly I'm surprised they have not had WTO cases brought against them yet by the likes of USA, Brazil etc. at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Lord Frost getting a vote of thanks from Arlene Foster sums Brexit up in a few words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭yagan

I've wondered that myself but I think the answer may be that the UK is a declining market in a world of other much larger markets like the EU, India and China. If you're a Brazilian beef farmer, or a NZ lamb farmer your access to the EU market matters multiple times more than access to the UK, and in the end you know the UK needs food imports more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So JRM announces that UK are postponing the expected July introduction of checks, and he proudly announces that it will save £1bn.

He also stated that to implement the checks would have been "an act of self harm"

"Free trade is hugely advantageous to consumers"

How are they getting away with this? How are the UK public not storming the bloody parliament at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So JRM announces that UK are postponing the expected July introduction of checks, and he proudly announces that it will save £1bn.

Imagine how much they'd have saved if they'd scrapped the whole bloody Brexit idea 🙄 😕

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The back is presumably, simply broken within the heart of British resistance to Brexit. People like James O'Brien will still bang the drum but you get the sense that like CoVid, the population is a bit done with it all and just wants to get on with life - even if life is indefinitely hobbled by Brexit at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And yet another Brexit consequence: UK expats living in Spain need Spanish driving licenses. Seems like there were discussions around making it easier, but Spain and the UK never reached agreement. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-british-expats-spain-driving-ban-b2069366.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

But don't the Spanish realise they need................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Same with UK licence holders living here. Have to exchange for an Irish licence. Ironically many or even most people affected by this are Irish.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

David Frost didn't really say anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah shoite

My better half's passport is going to be nothing but a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And once again they have rowed back on their threats meaning once again you are wrong. The EU haven't needed to act like you demand because the tories have never followed through on any of the threats they have made and backed off every single time. This time the EU didnt even have to make that much noise to get them to flinch like they always do.

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1521927079931035648

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

Think this video nicely boxes off (yet again) the UK Govt's empty threat to either trigger A16 or introduce legislation to unilaterally breach the TCA and scrap the protocol.

How many times will the Tories abuse the DUP like this and how many times will the DUP fall for their empty promises? If this was a parent repeatedly promising a treat to a child and then reneging just for giggles I'd be tempted to report child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Decision on UK unilateral action said to be imminent.

Why wouldn't they role the dice?

Some here need to ask themselves a question...if this was France or Germany do you believe for one solitary second that any of this would be tolerated?

They'd have the sanctions already lined up, ready to go.

It's Ireland's place in the single market you all laud that is in danger.

That's going to be driven home to us when there is a gaping hole in the single market.

If anything you all should be stronger than me in criticising EU kid gloves with this cabal in London.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's Ireland's place in the single market you all laud that is in danger.

No it isn't. Much like the other 15 times you have claimed it to be.

Do you never stop for a minute and reflect on the fact that you have been wrong about this over and over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm very confident. The British government are about to make their move as I long said they would.

If you don't believe that this country's place in the single market is at serious risk then you are just too blinded to see it. You believe the EU can do no wrong thus you can't criticise the EU when it should be criticised. And in that strange circle it means you're in a self defeating position.

It's obvious.

If we won't plug the hole, the continent will put a border between us and them.

There won't be a border on this island. No where else to go.

This wouldn't be happening if the EU was doing what it should have done months a go and described in detail the sanctions they would apply the day after. They have failed to do that. They have been too accommodating. They have been too weak.

And now with Britain giving such assistance to Ukraine we are in a bad situation - the EU won't do anything remarkable now in response. You can bet your house on that.

Well played by the EU? I don't think so.

I'm genuinely curious as to how many passes you are going to give before it's too late.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The EU does lots wrong.

They have probably done less wrong than the amount of times you have said the UK is about to "make their move" though. And yet somehow you come out and repeat it over and over again without ever taking stock of the numerous times you have been mistaken in the past and the almost unfathomably large number of times the UK has backed down from the brink.

Will you even acknowledge that you have repeatedly put forth the same argument and the UK has repeatedly backed down without the EU doing what you claim to be so necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People have predicted the end of the world since forever.

Eventually one of them will be right, but I wouldn't plan my holidays on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The EU are going to abandon us round 97. I wonder will it actually happen this time 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You're kind of like those economists that predict 4 out of the last 2 recessions or whatever the phrase is (without googling) at this stage though.

Maybe this will be the time they finally "do it" (?!?).

I posted a few weeks ago that I thought they'd be utterly mad (edit - well stupid) given the state of Europe/the world. Maybe I was wrong. They strike me as a very self absorbed lot running the UK, they do care deeply about their Brexit + fighting the EU and their star should be quite high now with several of the Eastern members for the military aid to Ukraine and their NATO committments. Perhaps they think this will help, or the EU will just be too busy with Russia/Ukraine to raise much of a stink if they junk the NI protocol now.

Maybe you'll be right this time. Being cynical here, but I suppose it'll be all xmases come at once if the Brits were somehow against all the odds able to pry Ireland out of the single market against the democratically expressed will of people living here + all opinion polls about EU membership etc. (but conveniently in accordance with what you wish!).

Kermit, what you want the EU to do is throw the first punch in order to avoid a fight. But what if it goes wrong and they fight back?

I don't think the EU can actually do much to stop the UK making their decision. Brexit is about taking back control and if the EU threatens X, Y, and Z, the UK is more like to follow through and see if the EU will actually do it.

Except it wouldn't be some whimsical nonsense about NI that the English wouldn't particularly care about, it would be a direct retaliation for the EU trying to dictate what the UK can do inside its own country. The Tories would love that.

You've been banging this drum for years now and I'm still not even sure I trust you on it. I think you're just using it as a way to try and criticise EU, who you see as weak. Irish people should not care about the perception of the EU in this particular instance. It should focus solely on the end result and support whatever measure is least likely to being about a bad result, and right now, that is not to start the fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh, is it that time of the month again? These "any minute now the EU will throw Ireland under the bus" posts come around so quickly.

The thread's answer to the Stopped Clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It may have slipped your attention that this time there was an NI election where the DUP refused to get Stormont running unless they were changes to the NIP.

The UK has no interest in getting dragged in negotiations with the NI parties. Much easier to tear up the protocol and hope for the best in terms of the NI assembly and trade. They now have cover to act.

Brexit hasn't damaged the UK as much as the doom and gloomers predicted. Why would anyone listen to the same doom and gloomers about the consequences of ripping it up. They can weather tearing up the Protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

So,

Uk pulls the NIP

Dup then have no choice but to elect first minister

Uk then faced with EU sanctions or complete withdrawal from cta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why would there be sanctions?

This is the same EU that bent over backwards to ensure that a deal was done at the last minute. The same EU that handed control of their border to a third party entity. Does that sound like an organisation ready for trade conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I really wish we had a counter for all Kermits claims of "The UK are gonna....", must getting near 20 at this stage? The EU didnt even flinch at the last pathetic attempt by the tories to shore up election support, my guess is now they are trying to switch the story away from beergate which was just another massive mistake of their own creation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They've been threatening this for years. Nobody in Britain is going to fight for the DUP. At best, they were useful idiots who could prop up the ailing Tory party. A few years on, nothing has changed. If NI doesn't get an executive, it will be down to the "foul Ulster Tories" as Randolph Churchill once called them.

Dismantling the protocol, if that's even possible would require replacing it with something. This means more years of tedious negotiations from the first convicted criminal to serve as prime minister who sits on a parliamentary majority awarded on getting Brexit done. Since there'd be no benefit, it won't happen. In addition, tearing up the protocol would destroy what remains of the UK's international reputation. Johnson didn't send significant amounts of aid to Ukraine for nothing. They'd be one step above Russia if they did so.

Nobody is coming to help the DUP. Worst case scenario is that direct rule from London resumes and more and more people here wonder why they're paying for Northern Ireland and getting nothing but Unionist wailing in return. The protocol is thankfully here to stay.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement