Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte - Wembley Stadium - April 23rd

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I agree with you about Fury and why he has such stamina, his skill level allows him to choose rest and tempo and when he dictates that he holds a lot of the cards. Lying and holding opponents tires them and rests him too.

I think Whyte has a very questionable motor. He was exhausted on Saturday after 3 rounds - he might have choked a bit not quite on the level of Price and that would contribute to tiring. Against Joshua he was exhausted. He wasn’t getting up on the bell from R2 against Rivas and was knocked down in 12th. Against Parker he had absolutely nothing by the end and was clinging on for dear life. I guess he and Chisora matched evenly enough in both fights for stamina but that’s hardly just a ringing endorsement either. I think the occasion might have got to him somewhat but that fight was only going one way.

Eddie made some good points in that interview like him or not. Whyte wasnt at all menacing and Fury took all the sting out of him in the build up. He was better fighting in a frenzy of hatred.

You have to hand it to Fury, he is pure brilliant. He just looks so relaxed in the build up to fights and in the ring. He really seems to just enjoy it all. I don't see who beats him. I think he'd mentally destroy AJ in the build up and follow through in the ring.

I think he'd just dominate Usyk with his size.

100% agree with you. He’s a genius and has an amazing mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Awful lot talk about Fury doing this and that as if it's a certainty; and the word genius now being thrown at him. What world are we living in? Poor owl Mozart be turning in his grave!

Last week he beat Dillian Whyte, folks!!!! A man who was starched twice before Fury got to him. A bang average fighter in other eras. And yes, Whyte had a puncher's chance. I think most at least gave him this, albeit slim. But he is just too poor to even make that a threat.

There are two men left that need to be addressed. AJ and Usyk. Hopefully the three of them all share the ring in the next 12-18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I can see it now:

Fury beats Joshua - sure he was starched by mr blobby and Usyk gave him the runaround and nearly knocked him out

Fury beats Usyk - sure he is only a little cruiser

😉

• Advertisement

Not at all

It would simply be a case of Fury has proved himself number 1. Can only beat the best of your era. And AJ and Usyk wins would tell me that he is now the top dog.

You need to rein in your paranoia that everyone is out to get your beloved Fury.....:)

My thought here applies to all three, not just Fury!

I think all three need to mix it up. That is my point. It's not whether or not Fury is number 1; it's who is number 1?

Could end up tied.....A beats B and B beats C.....

What exactly is separating them? Only AJ is a defeated fighter, but who avenged the defeat, and can now try avenge another one

If Usyk beats AJ and beats Fury and retires......is he number 1 of the era with a 5-0 HW record?

If AJ beats Usyk and beats Fury, is he number 1? More claim to it than Usyk...

If Fury beats both he is number 1, but loses to one, or both, where is he?

It's all permutations and opinions and subjectivity. Main point is that they need to fight to try settle it.

Jaysus me boy youre takin that very personally! I said genius but maybe not in the way you think I meant. I was considering the lead up to fights. He is so good at getting under an opponent’s skin or winning the mental battle. With Whyte he used a new tactic - friendliness which suited as Whyte is best as a menace. Wilder he was going mad and saying things to shock and mock wilder. Now you could argue that outfoxing back of the class lads like Wilder and Whyte is no biggie surely but he knew the tactic to employ. Wlad was a master at the mental games in the lead up to fights and he had him bought and sold.

Whyte is a big strong lump who is as game as they come - I’m paraphrasing you here. Fury shut him out, nullified him and then got him out of there with one opportunity. Perfect fight from his point of view.

When Lewis defeated Tyson it was hailed as a career defining win. By then Tyson had been knocked out, DQ’d but that didn’t mean Lewis was suddenly shite.

I do agree I want to see Fury fight at least one of the other two. I’m not too sure either of them will be in much form for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I cant see Fury walking away from a fight against AJ (if he wins) in Wembley next summer if thats an option for a venue.

• Advertisement

Didn’t at all take it serious or personal. I knew what you meant. Hence my Mozart quip. Was Just trying to drum up wee bit discussion. And seems it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

If Fury retires now, it leaves the rest looking like also rans and PPV figures would collapse.

I think he is one victory for going down as one of the greats as well.

It's all setup for the AJ/Usyk winner to fight Fury in a massive retirement match.

Things change fast. When he beat Wlad it wasn’t in all that good a state and then Joshua really transcended the sport. Like him or not his profile led to mega ppv numbers. If Fury goes again some kinda drama will unfold. The cries will be coming for him to fight again anyhow for a few years. I could see him having a couple of years or 3 in him.

AJ transcended the sport?

Where? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

If you lived in some bubble where Fury is regarded as a genius and the only boxers that matter in the world are AJ/Fury/Wilder, you’d probably believe that too

If Fury retires as the undefeated undisputed two time heavy weight champion I don’t think anyone can deny him a place among the all time greats, present company included 😁

Could say that after having one fight. It’s such an inherently dangerous sport.

but if we want to find out who’s the best, and if the HWs want to establish their legacies as top dogs of their era, they need to fight to try get this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A dangerous sport......but he wants to fight Francis Ngannou!?

I meant more in terms of bringing the sport to a different audience aside from core boxing fans. His brand had appeal for that.

Yes, that is what transcended the sport can entail.

I just don’t at all see AJ as having done it to any real degree. Huge manufactured hype, and mainly confined to Britain.

When I think of transcend I’d think of Ali’s 1960s emergence and beyond; also, when a 20 year old killer came into the global HW scene in late 1986 and onwards. Biggest name in global sports…

• Advertisement

Yea that’s fair enough I mean nowhere near that extent! I just mean from the position it was in before he came on the scene. Wlad and Vit didn’t have as much appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can't see AJ becoming Mayor of London when he hangs up the gloves.

A lot of the AJ hype is down to Sky and Eddie Hearn.

I guess, for me anyway, what is missing with AJ is aura. Aura is key to transcending. He never had that aura about him..

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Yep. Sure did…

paid Eddie fair few bob through the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AJ is the a bit like Pogba,

As in he is commercially huge & a cross over start & because of that the causal fans think he most be amazing but proper fans see through the circus ,

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭BK5

See on Twitter that Whyte met Joshua in London during the week and he was still moaning that he lost because Fury pushed him over!

You fell Dillian because you were hit with a good shot and you were not fit enough to absorb it and anyway you landed on your big fat arse so you should have been grand 😊

Whyte also tried to talk up a fight between himself and Joshua...yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lads it clear as day its all a ploy to make more cash & its absolutely brilliant ,

The day Fury first spoke of retirement and his last fight was the day Whyte didn't turn up for the press conference ,

It was a calculated move on the spot to help the fight sell out, He had to do something because of Whyte no show, Since i think Fury has realised if he keeps it going he can make even more money pout of his next fight ,Instead of Fury chasing the winner of AJ & Usyk they will be chasing him to prove they are better ,He can also demand more money to come out of "retirement"

All makes perfect sense as really there is just one fight left for him and its the winner of that one, also adds to the whole "Fury story"

Advertisement