Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte - Wembley Stadium - April 23rd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Most the other top 10 are muck!

ok, muck might be too strong…but nothing at all great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Richie had it all Fury. Haye gave Whyte the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it knocked a tooth out as it landed so it caught him pretty flush, I think the povetkin ko has taken away a lot of whytes punch resistance, I think that shot was taking him out whenever it landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BK5

The Povetkin punch was a harder shot alright, he was completely sparked out. Carl Frampton didn't want to be too critical of Whyte's non existent footwork but he did say at one point that Whyte just stands square on in front of his opponent and he has been buried by 3 uppercuts in big fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I got accused of bias because of I gave Whyte R1...looks like a pro judge agreed with me.

I don't see how Fury won that round. He landed maybe 2 punches. Whyte landed more and was the aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I visited my good friend Lord Hegarty last night to watch the fight. He has shares in BT Sport, and gets all the big sporting events free as a sweetner (along with the customary brown envelope and occasional hooker).

I was so excited to settle down in front of Lord Hegarty's 76 inch television, and even more delighted when he uncorked the Louis XIII Black Pearl ( A Cognac of exquisite character).

Lord Hegarty and I, were very disappointed with the under card. The supporting cast would best be described as a bunch of undesirables, the likes you might encounter down by the docks, or have the misfortune to meet in Cavan.

Due to the mundane entertainment on offer, we found ourselves pouring the last of the Black Pearl, and hastily having to retreat to the cellar to seek a replacement before the main event came to the fore.

With seconds to spare, myself, Lord Hegarty, and a Cognac Brugerolle 1795 (the one with the candle wax corkage) took to our seats again.

Unfortunately, by the time the ring walks were completed (and what ghastly music...!), poor Archie had taken a turn for the worse.. The brandy was making him feel unwell, and I suspect his daytime wine consumption had escalated his condition.

Not wishing to miss the exhibition of pugilism, I rolled poor Archie onto his side, allowing him to extract the poisons from his stomach, and settled down to continue the evenings viewing.

Dillian Whyte put out a poor performance. In my Grandfather's day, he would have been flogged for such a travesty. He appeared like a man without a plan? I suggest that Mr Whyte knew in advance of Mr Furys height and reach advantages? And hadn't planned for it?

No plan?

My great Uncle (on the Mothers side), the legendary General Pudsey, a man of tactical excellence, once stated that a man without a plan, is a man without a passage (such profound words of wisdom you will agree)

So with the inevitable conclusion of the bout, I speculated what Mr Whytes plan actually was? I fear he was totally motivated by the financial aspect of the meeting, and little else..

So feeling somewhat deflated myself, and a little intoxicated, I switched the television off, stepped over poor Archie's, snoring, vomit soaked body and headed towards the main doors, another night coming to an end.

An anti climax would be an understatement.

Can't wait to regale Lord Hegarty with the stories of the night, and how the fight played out.. Hopefully when he gets his health back in a couple of days..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

The judge who gave rounds 2 and 3 to Whyte should be flogged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Enjoyed reading up on all of this. Much more than the Armagh match anyhow. We were a bit like Whyte last night only worse.

Whyte reminded me of Browne in their fight. Following, plodding and throwing wildly.

He didn’t do as badly as what a lot are saying here. I think he won the first round. At the end of 2 I was hoping he would get through another 2 so my bet would come in. He looked awful. He got some decent digs into the body and had Fury reddened in R1. He went a bit roughhouse as things went on and that wasn’t a bad tactic. His stamina is horrendous. He was walloped in the corner from 2 on and not answering the bell - he did that at the Rivas fight. He got clueless and even when he had Fury in the corner or on the ropes he declined the opportunity to give it a go. He knew the game was up and he would be ok for a minute each round until Fury decided to plant the feet and close the show.

On the next steps I don;t think Fury will retire. I think there might be a warm up and then the winner of Joshua vs Usyk and I don’t think the outcome of that is as clear cut as I’ve seen on here either. There’s no appetite for another Chisora mauling and I doubt it if he will fight Parker. Ruiz is a possibility or maybe even Wallin would get a shot but he’s hardly box office. For Whyte he’s back two steps. Looked kinda old last night. He won’t be a world champion. I’d say Wilder would love that action. I think he will become more and more hittable in the next few fights and any contender at all would have his number by ko. A good opportunity for Joe Joyce or Dubois perhaps. Joyce could even be the warm up fight for Fury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

If there is time, Fury/Ruiz might be the right fight.

It's one Fury will almost certainly win easily but yet might interest the general public

i think if Joe Joyce beats parker he has probably moved on beyond a whyte fight but they could still put it on as a PPV i guess, at Joyces age he needs to get a move on to get a title shot. Hard as people dont really want to fight him as the risk reward isnt great.

Ah yes I forgot about the Joyce Parker fight. Is there a date for that yet? I think it’s a good match up and it will show us a bit more about how good Joyce is, if Joyce were to win that convincingly then he is right in the mix for a title shot. I don’t think Fury would be overly bothered about fighting him but that could change depending on the outcome of the fight with Parker.

Parker I think should have a bit much for Joyce. Style wise I think a slick, cute, versatile boxer like Parker will give Joyce fits, plus, Parker is durable, fit and tough....Parker's cleaner and neater work will win out

Post edited by walshb on

It was a nice shot, no doubt, just not as concussive as it could have been.

I do think that Whyte was very tired, and just a beaten man when it landed, an hence found it difficult to shake it.

A fresher and fitter Whye probabably doesn't react so badly to it.

it was as concussive as it needed to be i guess, that we should be able to agree on.

why was whyte so gassed i wonder, it was only the 6th round and he has done 12 at that weight before...

maybe

itll be instructive of the level of both, if Parker wins he should be able to get back into world contention, if Joyce does he is better than he gets credit for.

I think its a 50/50.

Spot on. It was enough to close the show. As to Whyte's tiring: Only he knows. Fury was beginning to work him over the 2 rds before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Whyte will never say it but im convinced the size of the event go to him,

HE normally has a good engine & in preparation he was beating all his old record on numbers with ease, He looked nervous as heel on the ring walk & in there he looked more slow & sluggish than ever, He was always going to have a heard night with Fury everyone does but i do think he under performed even if his skill level isn't that high to begin with ,

Fury has it all & i think the fact his is such a one off with his size , length & movement makes it next to impossible for lads to prepare properly for him ,

• Advertisement

I think Joyce beats him ,

Parker doesn't like getting hit enough to beat Joyce & he will end up just sitting outside range & afraid to engage until its to late,

Joyce on points ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

He was gasping badly from the 4th and it wasn't exactly a high paced fight.

Not sure if all the wrestling took a lot out of him but his fitness was a disgrace.

I had that feeling as well. Whyte looked very off. Deer in the headlights.

I watched it with a mate and after a round or two I commented on what an odd flow to the fight. I'd say even Fury must have sensed/felt it

Post edited by walshb on

Ye agreed there was no rhythm to it at all,

I know Fury can make it like that but all 3 fights v Wilder had a rhythm to them,

This in a nutshell. Fury can be very herky jerly and awkward and disjointed, but I think Whyte made this spectacle disjointed more.

I seen in the build up Whyte's old trainer Mark Tibbs said that Whyte feet would be a huge issue & when he gets lazy or uninterested he ends up feet square & that he usual gets away with it but he felt Fury would pick up on it an nail him if he done it more than once , he was in the ring showing Parker & Richie Woodhall what he meant & its exactly how he ended up when that uppercut landed ,

If Whyte’s tactic was to get on the inside he made a very poor effort of it. No bending, no faints. A couple of times he pushed Fury back a bit and then got some success to the body but nothing very telling. The dirty stuff (I’m fine with that as Fury wouldn’t be backward about it either) lasted a round and a half and then he had Fury in the corner and didn’t try to engage. At that moment it was clear he could be taken out at any time with a combo or a good shot.

He was lucky enough that Fury pushed him as otherwise there would have been an undefended free hit a bit like Povetkin and Price. I may have mentioned this before I can’t remember. His fitness was a joke but Fury had demoralised him. He got up manfully and didn’t even look to the corner. I thought the way he got up he was going to be ok to continue (briefly) as he kinda sprang to his feet.

I saw that bit with Tibbs as well and thought that’s spot on. He was a ball of energy in that interview, very informative. He I think was more talking about Whyte walking onto the shot or getting caught with the uppercut on the way in but Fury just set it up when he was exhausted. Won at his leisure. On that showing I think he’d take Joshua apart.

Whyte fitness has always been good so id imagine he came in to the fight fit but the occasion &the fight took it out of him it happens,

Whyte today said the upper cut buzzed him & he was ok but the push made him gang his head, such nonsense,

Rewatch it he had trouble getting up his , legs where not under him and he was swaying

,His instinct to get up is admiral & also sign of a fit man ,His legs just couldn't do what Whyte was asking of them ,

They split because Whyte wanted to train in Portugal full time & Tibbs wouldn't commit to it as much as Whyte wanted, Then it turned ugly looking for money owed & stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Butson

I see Whyte is complaining today that Fury pushed him over and he should have had more time to recover.

He was out cold before he even hit the canvass.

Also looking for a rematch. Clown.

• Advertisement

Whyte's career has been built on his losses.....

knocked out by AJ, and for some strange reason this clear loss seemed to elvate him to some world beater. Been dining out off this loss the past 7 years

Then cheats. Then gets sparked out by a washed up Povetkin. Wins a rematch against an even more washed up Povetkin.

In between all this he was beating the mighty and great Chisora, Browne and Parker.......

Finally gets his long awaited "deserved" shot and gets slept again....

An absolute con these past 7 years

Advertisement