Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we curtail bus lane misuse

• 27-04-2022 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

With 24 hour bus routes becoming more and more common, there’s no reason why all bus lanes shouldn’t be 24/7.

If all lanes are made 24/7 then we can rely not just on Garda or fixed camera enforcement but also on civilian enforcement.

If timestamps aren’t an issue due to my proposed idea of 24-hour bus lanes, then civilians could use bicycle cameras or dash cameras to report offenders using the lane.

Taxi drivers could be caught by undercover Gardaí flagging down the taxi in the bus lane, if the taxi stops, it means they weren’t on a fare or on the way to one and will thus be fined for driving in the bus lane.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The only thing cameras are good for is speeding. Everything else needs to be observed due to context. Road position is not a simple matter. The gards have other matters that have priority over something that trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭DaBluBoi

I highly doubt traffic levels would be high enough at night for bus lane violations to be that much of a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Crazy idea. Many roads have the bus lanes going into town in the morning, up to 10am or so. The bus lane then becomes parking to allow people to use the shops. Some bus lanes are only needed for 4 or 5 hours. I don't understand the logic in making them 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Why in god's name would civilians want to be a part of this?

The amount of time and effort for zero reward.

Whatever about making a report on something serious that resulted in an accident especially a fatal one, but making reports on every lil racer zipping up the bus lane??

And no I don't use the bus lane even when out of hours.

But I can certainly think if much better ways to spend my time.

Pick your battles n all that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You don't need civilians getting involved, its completely unnecessary.

The answer is automated camera enforcement and has been for years. It is cheap and phenomenally effective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If timestamps aren’t an issue due to my proposed idea of 24-hour bus lanes, then civilians could use bicycle cameras or dash cameras to report offenders using the lane.

it'd make far more sense to put cameras in the buses themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Put the cameras on the buses, driver pushes a button to take snap, give said driver 5 euro bonus for every snap. Fine the culprits 100 euro.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Agree with the camera on bus approach, has the added benefit that it's punishing the people that are actually in the way of busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Same as Red Lights, Yellow Boxes, Tax/ Insurance/ NCT... The tech is there, and has been used for decades in other States (who also manage to have online portals where citizens can upload footage if they want).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think I’d prefer the bus driver to be focussed on safely driving the bus rather than getting involved in taking photos.

Every time you involve human interaction, it becomes a potential minefield in the courts. The process needs to be automated.

As an aside, every bus operating on Dublin City services and those in provincial cities is already fitted with forward facing cameras as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Every bus (in Dublin Bus & Go-ahead at least) has a front facing dashcam attached. Already mentioned by LXFLyer. This can be programmed to automatically record any vehicle and it's reg in the bus lane and can send that info to a system which checks whether or not said vehicle is allowed in the bus lane (aka ANPR). Not allowed? Details sent to the Garda with evidence, like what happens with speeding vans currently. From what I remember, it was stated somewhere that this is possible already, all that's needed is the relevant backend then a simple software update on the bus itself. Now obviously GDPR and all would have to be followed in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Another thread from the OP looking to target drivers. Clearly a chip on the shoulder and as such should be ignored as potentially trolling

The Guards have zero interest in processing fines from these sources, but also refuse to allow any other agency the power to do so. Its more or less the only thing holding this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Which other thread(s) did I start targeting drivers?

What chip do I have on my shoulder?

I await your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i guess with your private profile we will never know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

the one yesterday about 'assumed liability'

anyway

Maybe all bicycles should have GPS trackers and tech to decree when they break red lights and a fine is automatically garnished from their PAYE salary or social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

And if there's no traffic on the road why the need for an extra. Having them 24 hours conditions drivers to never drive in the bus lane. You don't go driving on Luas or railway tracks at night when trains aren't running why should a bus lane be any different?

a garda on each quay pulling ppl every few mornings during rush hour would eliminate it in a month

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think there are two main reasons why bus lane enforcement is brutal. Firstly, the DoJ and AGS don't want the role outsourced as it is their job. Secondly, if it was outsourced, it would show just how badly it has been done to date.

Enforcement will only work if people know that they are likely to be caught. If people cop on that the gardai have stopped then they will quickly revert to their old ways.

There needs to be a strong likleihood of being caught coupled with a decent fine in order to change the behaviour.

• Advertisement

if it starts up again throw a garda on again

its surefire, could be done tomorrow, pays for itself. dont knock it

There are shops on the malahide road near Farview. Most only open at 10am because people can't park before then. There is only a need for a bus lane on this particular part of the road for 4 hours in the morning. It would be silly to force the shops out of business for a bus lane that isn't needed.

24/7 bus lanes, just for the sake of it is a ridiculous idea. 24/7 bus lanes where there is a genuine need is a brilliant idea

Garda management didn't want to police the College Green Bus Gate despite the costs being made by the NTA & TII. The force in this instance were absolutely crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair this is a real problem for the bus service and something does need to done about the misuse or blocking of bus lanes and yellow boxes.

We can’t go on effectively just rolling our eyes and doing nothing if we want the bus service to work.

But the solution has to be automated.

Then the shop owners pull in and take up all the parking spaces...

I know that part of the road incredibly well, anyone expecting to shop there and thinking they will park in one of the spots is a fool. They are full (with the same cars) pretty much the entire time its legal.

But 24/7 bus lanes aren't even needed for this - just enforcement by the cameras on the buses already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One traffic warden sitting on front of a bank of cameras will do a lot more than the current waste of time having them walking around doing nothing.

There is a bathroom showroom on that strip. Vans need to be able to pull up outside to load bathroom suits.

How would shops get deliveries if bus lanes are 24/7?

How indeed! It would be great if and when someone invents a device with wheels that you can put stuff on and pull short distances

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

In my experience, the biggest problem isn't cars using bus lanes, but the lanes themselves being too narrow for buses and having no yellow box to help buses when the bus lane comes to an abrupt end.

• Advertisement

You obviously don't know the area on the malahide road I'm talking about. There is nowhere for a delivery truck to legally pull in for quite a distance.

Advertisement