Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have no idea but the manager who will not countenance fulltime WFH or similar flexibility has not accepted the new reality. They are living in the past. The best and brightest will leave a company when the package is deemed better elsewhere and WFH is very much part of the package now. I have seen many people leave their current position already for WFH reasons. I know people in Galway working for Dublin companies who only have to go up for social occasions. The jobs market is so buoyant that companies run a huge attrition risk if they don't adapt quickly. And I mean quickly. Ask any recruitment consultant and they will tell you the same. The IT market is leading the way with massive movement.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yup. Looking at any of the job sites and the good/interesting/senior/"meaty" roles are all specifying flexible working, WFH, blended, remote working available. Not just IT, either, though yes, IT is leading the way - but also sales, legal, project management. Companies in those areas who are insisting on fulltime office-based work will haemorrhage their better staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

In my experience it's often the people who actually are good at their jobs who don't get promoted. Because they're busy doing their jobs well and don't have time for the networking, internal politics and one-upmanship that are often necessary to secure promotions. The assumption that the person with the manager title is that smartest one in the room is pretty naïve.

Interesting to note, though, that along with a requirement for physical presence, we're now seeing a requirement for "knowing one's place"...  

🙄

Very simple.

Google employment and contract.

If they pay you they own you.

Either do what they say and go in to work or enjoy the dole end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It's St Patrick's Day, not Independence Day, calm down there Travis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I tell you what’s naive the notion that the people who are best at their job don’t get promotion because they are too busy working.

most decent company’s are a meritocracy, if you aren’t in one go somewhere that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m not getting the “knowing one’s place” vibe, but your antenna could be more sensitive than mine. I don’t think anyone is suggesting that management is an intelligence test, but there is no doubt that people who get promoted, sometimes, are smarter at getting noticed and making themselves look affective.

There seems to be a correlation on this thread between denied work from home and a bad manager. A manager must be bad if they want you back in the office, that would be about as true as a manager saying all employees who want wfh must be bad. It’s a bit simple. WFH will not suit all companies, some will go full wfh, some hybrid, some full office. Please, don’t anyone kid themselves that full office/hybrid will lose all their good staff if they are inflexible, that narrative suits an agenda. Any vacancies will be filled, lots of people can do your jobs and few people are irreplaceable.

I tell you what’s naive the notion that the people who are best at their job don’t get promotion because they are too busy working.

In the private sector, many who are best at their job and actually like their job want to keep doing their job, whatever that might be, rather than getting promoted, becoming a manager, and suddenly being responsible for such admin minutiae as rosters, one-to-ones, budgets, approving expenses, working out who can sit where, and - the joy! - attending management meetings!

They're absolutely getting bonuses and pay rises, though, if the company knows what's good for it!

In the private sector their manager is getting paid more than them also. This notion that there is a massive cohort of brilliant employees who are so brilliant that they don’t want or need promotion doesn’t ring true in any of the diverse mncs i have worked in so I must assume you are looking at this through a very specific lense. Some class of software programmer or something.

Yep, tech and software development, and devs who want to keep doing that rather than being administrators. Like I say, they still want and get the payrises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most meritocracies are pretty toxic environments: people are striving to be individual performers rather than building relationships and encouraging colleagues to develop and form a strong team. Usually accompanied short term, unsustainable, successes.

So promoting your best people is not a good idea ?

Utter unbridled nonsense. Meritocracy and team cohesion are not mutually exclusive. Unless of course you have an incompetent HR function, and inappropriate objective and performance management approaches

It really depends on whether they're suited for the more senior position, it's a well known fact that technical people can make for terrible managers as the skilsets are so different.

It's often better to simply pay them more to recognise their abilities than to promote them to an unfamiliar role.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The best people to promote to management are the one who are best at relationships. These often aren't the best individual achievers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My current role has this better yourself bollocks, where I'm expected to find and do LinkedIn courses somehow related to my job. About 6 this year I've to find, and when I pointed out to them that someone here 5 years should have 30 LinkedIn courses done, it was met with inexplicable silence. Basically, as long as I do my job and don't partake in this crap, I lose at most an extra 20% on the bonus. Not down money, rather won't be able to earn 120% vs 100%. Deal.

I'm firmly in the cohort of "I'm here to do my job, please let me do it" and I've no interest in promotion, because that brings even more corporate BS I just don't want to deal with. While I'm not exactly earning big money, with a steady yearly increase it is slowly going up and I'm happy enough with that for now. Thankfully, WFH looks to be put off indefinitely for now, considering there would only be 2-4 of us as we work nights. I'll fight it tooth and nail. If the company really want to care about it's employees, and not just send the typical corporate fluff, then they will understand that I'm still able to do my job perfectly, and there's no need to bring now inflated fuel costs on top of a commute to do the same job. Don't know if it'll work, but I'll fly the coop as soon as they make a return necessary. If it happens within the next 3 months, they'll only have 3 employees covering with less than a years experience between them.

The best management have both technical and inter personal skills. And they tend to be your best people.

My sincerest apologies in case I offended you.

It wasnt St Patricks day when i typed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

Ever increasing covid positives in my office and staff still expected to attend as "2 days a week at your desk is our current policy".

People are dropping like flies and real pressure now on resources. Few people quite ill too.

No one is going back to the office in my place either, despite being open. Typically 3, maybe 4, of 25 on any given day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sammy96

Interesting high court action being taken by a meat plan worker.

Interesting times ahead when offices may been seen to be breach their duty of care towards employees by not providing a safe place of work with no ventilation or allowing covid positive staff attend work.

Only a matter of time before a case is taken by an office worker. Especially if we seen further multiple infections for staff.

I have seen numerous forms filled out in my office saying it is ventilated and there are zero windows open and no air con either. Just a blind tick box by someone in another office. Also there was a mask mandate but that was obviously not adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just landed a new job, fully remote, no expectation of going to the office unless it is for events. Great to see companies change with the times of recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The right to request flexible work arrangements is set to become a reality this year for Irish employees, with the Government due to implement the EU's Work Life Balance Directive.

The Minister for Children and Equality has said he will soon bring a 'work-life balance bill' before Cabinet with a view to having it passed before the Dáil’s summer recess.

This will mean that employees who are also in a caring role, such as parents or carers, will have the right to request flexible work arrangements.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0407/1290959-eu-to-give-workers-right-to-request-flexible-working/

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

This week I returned all of the WFH hardware the company gave to me, I've been back in the office full time since Xmas and the screens and peripherals were simply in the way... happy to see them gone.

For the very odd day I stay at the apartment I've a 15" screen on the new laptop, that'll do for a day.

Clearly plenty of the people in the company do not think the same way though, office has hardly any people in, strangely it's mainly management that are (myself being part of the management)

They do. But what they are doing in terms of office configuration in return is quite remarkable….Google’s new London office will have a swimming pool, for example. The pandemic has reshaped utterly the office, whether that is with respect to the regularity of attendance or the office environment itself

It is quite a lucrative and competitive market right now. Companies are having to change how they hire and the speed at which they do as well. It was bound to change at some point, but I am glad it has now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Large multinational funds company office a friend works in was telling me they got an email a few weeks ago stating they MUST attend physically the office a minimum of two days per week. Attendence will be checked via their clock cards/swipe cards apparently.

Sounds like things are slowly but surely going back “to normal”?

Normal? That sounds like they work in the industrial revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep, not my scene! But that’s what she told me is expected

Advertisement