Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That is very disheartening to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I work nights, small team of about 5+1(TL). We've been at home since the beginning and, even though we were told we would be coming back in (usually just 1 of us, maybe 2 some nights, in a 3 story office building with just 1 security guard. We said it was crazy, we've been working fine from home. No, we're coming back in. That was a couple of months ago, and all the day people are back hybrid, with even a survey/competition about how hybrid is working now that "we're" all back. Think they've forgotten about it. I'm very happy. Long may it last.

I've had a range of Linked In messages. Most that seemed serious were either remote or hybird. Have had some funny ones as well. Pay range half of what I'm on and 2-3 days a week in Dublin. They'll be looking for a while. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the key point is they want people back the majority of the time (60% +) in the office, as they see merit in that.

As to anyone at apple or google being top tier talent, i'd argue that they may well have top tier talent within the organisations for sure, but like any company that tag would apply to a single digit percentage, most of the rest of the people are the type you would expect to find there but nothing out of the ordinary (university educated with some decent experience).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They can want as much as they like. Companies need workers as much as workers need companies. Its a give and take relationship and thinking any otherwise is foolish. The cat is out of the bag now and theres no putting it back.

The office is grand but theres no denying quality of life takes a hit by forcing people in en masse and against their will.

I'm back 3 days a week the past few weeks and it's painful. Living out of lunchboxes and having to prep everything the night before. Forget something and you either need to go into your pocket or go without.

Down time in work will not be used to innovate or collaborate if your workforce are there against their will. Productivity will dive, good workers will move etc. It will be nothing but downside for companies imo.

I'm currently interviewing. I'm middle management with a lot of experience in my field and I'm nearly 10 years with my current employer.

So as far as I'm concerned they're 100% losing a good worker, all because they want me in the office x3 a week. Its really that simple.

If I was being forced into a back to the office 9-5 doing what I have been doing from home for the past two years, early retirement will start to look very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you asked your employer how they see it?

According to most of the rhetoric on this thread, as middle management you are pretty much an irrelevant waste of space, and WFH has shown companies that they don't need you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I look forward to the impending doom coming for both apple and Google based on this, should I short them both now?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Not that they don’t need any middle management, but certainly that they don’t need as much.

• Advertisement

UK politicians trying to put the genie forcibly back into the bottle,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Oddly, JRM doesn't appear to consider the possibility that making efficient use of office space could involve simply reducing the amount of it. Of course, that wouldn't suit the vested interests that are pulling on his strings...

Exactly, prime London real estate isn't worth as much when there is too much of it, also shows a complete disregard for the well-being for the staff and the environment by forcing unnecessary excess consumption onto employees. Quite ironic when you consider the current energy situation wrt Russia.

PS: I know this is a UK story, but it applies to Ireland as well with Dublin based politicians also trying to get people bact to the desks to work, spend, justify the rent etc While consuming (increasingly scarce and expensive) fuel to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Would there not possibly be an economy of scale whereby less electricity would be used in one office building than in 500 homes? Prime office space near Houses of Parliament will always be expensive and with all due respect, I think we are now past the point where there is concern for the health of employees returning to offices. Life, for the most part, has returned to normal. Car fuel is more expensive certainly, but are there reports that it is scarce? I doubt many employees working in London Govt departments drive to work, the majority take public transport. In relation to Irish Depts, presumably that will depend on how the mandarins believe depts are working, if work flow is affected by wfh, no doubt they will push for return to office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Forcing people back to the office at the moment is very counterproductive for companies. The higher commute costs will cause a breeding ground for disgruntlement.

My employer told us in December 2021 that nobody would be asked to return to the office until September 2022 even though the office is currently open. And they added that there would be a lengthy consultation before deciding the WFH policies. They will listen to what employees want. There is an obvious risk of attrition during the healthy jobs market. I fully expect them to offer fulltime WFH.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

With respect to economies of scale and energy consumption, there will be a lot of give and take, how many lights are above your work desk in either environment? There are probably several for each desk in the office space and only one in the home office.

Depending on the quality of insulation, heating could be minimal, this past winter, I needed no additional heat at all.

As for scarce fuel, The war will force the EU to either buy Russian oil and be seen as hypocritical in their response to the invasion or it gets expensive and scarce due to other oil producers being unable to make up the shortfall. So far the only scarcity has been caused by the "self fulfilling prophecy" caused by stockpiling fuel in the car.

Employees driving to work, maybe not to central London, but most certainly to the commuter stations.

The environmental impact of unessesary commuting is enormous, always has been and always will be.

Just recently celebrated my 2nd anniversary of WFH. Life has never been better.

Was talking to the wife the other day about it and we went through a few hypotheticals and I could not think of a single reason or condition which would make me want to return to the office. I'll be WFH until I retire

I am in middle management and I do agree that there are a huge amount of middle management that offer little or no value add. Especially 'old fashioned' managers. You have to prove your worth in the modern workplace with all it's collaboration/automation tools. Delivery is key. People managers need to offer a lot more to provide value than track progress or execute HR type processes (progression, performance etc etc). Help or Hindrance - if hindrance, move on or re-invent your role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

This is utter garbage. What year is it where you live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,610 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You are very much the exception if you don’t need to heat your house in winter here. Most houses in Ireland don’t have zoned heating to facilitate work from home. Running around the house a couple of times a day twisting individual rads on and off gets old pretty quickly.

You'd swear Ireland was in the Arctic Circle with the way you talk about winters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can get one of those plug in oil heaters if you don't have zonal heating. They'll heat up one room quickly enough and seeing as it is only one room it should be relatively cheap.

As I was saying a few weeks ago, WFH is to be used to [s]avoid[/s] reduce fuel shortages.

There are many solutions for Andrew, but he won't be listening.

It would be fairly easy to run up costs of a few quid each day on these, probably over €100 a year, all for the privilege of providing work space to my employer at no cost.

Fuel poverty is real here, with many poorly insulated houses.

I know, that is why having people WFH will stop them spending money on fuel costs for travel, great, isn't it?

No fuel costs for those who cycle, walk or run.

And they can still avail of that, fuels costs are going up regardless if people walk, run or cycle. But those who drive will incur the penalty, so WFH is a great option for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

True but plenty do drive or use public transport.

Advertisement