Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

"These people who offered these homes have contributed to the biggest and most idiotically negligent and avoidable economic shock the country will have seen since....well, since the one two years ago and the one a decade before it."

You know they're killing women and children in Ukraine now? But all you're worried about is having less money? Some things are more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Although we’d have a bit of room in our house, I would like to have had more room in my psyche for these poor, poor people & their pets but I know me. I can just about cope with family or friends staying over for a weekend before I start getting twitchy. OH & I spoke at length about how to help & we decided donations & volunteering would be what we’d do. It doesn’t make me feel great & maybe we’ll change our stance as things progress. Can’t get the sight of contact details written on a little girl’s back out of my head, in case she gets separated from her family or they’re all killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Christ, there's a lot of ignorant shite posted on boards, but this one has to be pretty high up there.

If you guessed hard enough, you probably might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

I thought it was pie in the sky stuff to be honest.

There was a big push from the government and rte on it to get people to sign up. Not paying the homeowner a few quid towards bills is pathetic, the Brits are giving £350 a month.

I seen on the news last night some rte reporter at a crossing in Slovakia n only a trickle of people were leaving Ukraine and almost as many were going back home. 200k was a rediculous number unless the government were going to rent every hotel n bnb bed in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone know if there is a central portal for volunteering re Ukraine refugees? Or where to get the information other than trawling through the internet for every likely charity/organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The refugees are entitled to full social welfare. This includes rent allowance. They don't get this in the UK, this is why they are offering money to homeowners there. In Ireland you can charge rent if you want & the state will pay rent allowance

4.2 million have left the country, 6.5 million are internally displaced, which means that out of the total population of 40 million, ~30 million are still living in their homes. So with that in mind, with millions pushed east in need of accommodation within eastern Ukraine and millions more pushed into surrounding countries which can't cope with the numbers. So we, in solidarity with the Ukrainians and our fellow EU members have allowed refugees fleeing a **** war to come here visa free for a time-limited period. A measure, which is massively popular with the population of this country. Except with a small minority like you.

Did you need it made more simple or do you understand it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

From the linked article:

"Officials are examining whether up to 8,000 homes, currently vacant because their owners are in the care of nursing homes under the Fair Deal scheme, could be used to accommodate Ukrainian refugees"

How would that work?

If someone is in the Fair Deal Scheme and their house is currently vacant, does the Minister want to do some sort of compulsory acquisition to house refugees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have yet to hear a radio or TV article on the war say that some Ukrainians are returning to their homes again.

Where did you hear/read this?

Just a guess but I guessing government might wave fair deal payment if they are allowed to use the home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You really are a delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Who isn't sticking up for themselves in this current affair??

The article doesn't report why precisely these families are 'returning' refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If people underestimated the nature of the commitment they made in good faith to try to help out there is no shame in them admitting it.

Totally agree

When they say some were returned, they dont say how many. Even families taking in foreign students each year would sometimes return a student because they don't get on.

The main problem is that the red cross has actually housed very few so far. They haven't even inspected many homes. Hundreds upon hundreds of people organised their own refuges through Facebook. The vast majority of those housed so far haven't been through the red cross. The homes weren't inspected & deemed suitable. The homeowners weren't checked and no one explained what to expect.

I do think if the red cross moved quicker homeowners & refugees would be better matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

That would be an almighty slap in the face to the electorate, so many potential issues with the approach.

So they will definitely do it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is no surprise really. The reality of taking in total strangers who are undoubtably shell-shocked and traumatised from their experience and likely physically worn out from their journey, but who are from a completely different culture, with possibly little to no English, and no means to support themselves while the paperwork gets sorted out was never going to end well unfortunately. This is made worse by the financial and other problems being experienced by the hosts and indeed the economy and infrastructure at the moment.

The rush to proclaim and offer impractical support just doesn't stack up against the reality of what is needed. This may be unpopular (as the 2nd post and the raft of thanks indicates) but it's why kneejerk reactions are never the best option.

I think the Red Cross are concentrating on larger accommodation like hotels, disused convents etc. they’re only too aware of the difficulties that families could face taking traumatised strangers from a war torn country into their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well said, they gave it a shot, they give humanity some credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Rent allowance, no longer exists and HAP will not be an option

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I've said from the outset , whilst the Gesture laudable, it was completely impractical. It was only after pledges were made , the vetting process was announced. Yesterday there was a report up to 70% of pledged accommodation was unsuitable.

It's clear, Government have started block booking hotels, the Pandemic Palace (City west) now booked to accommodate refugees for 2 years, a hotel in Galway , so remote the crows flying over bring a packed lunch has just announced they are ceasing all hotel business to accommodate refugees. Many more have already done so.

Various reports on Boards of wedding bookings being cancelled with little notice as a result of the crisis.

Michael Martin has confirmed EU will be covering none of the costs of this.

This is turning into Direct Provision +

A Train wreck in slow motion , in essence .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭apache

I did notice a lot of refugees had animals with them. I thought they'd have to leave them behind because of papers, quarantine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭apache

Anyone know why the accomodation pledged was unsuitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe a little compassion led to rules being set aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

The eu are covering none of the costs of it? Wow, an article the other day put the costs per 10k of refugees staying in hotels n guesthouses at 500m a year. Already people who took people in going to their local TD looking for financial help to cover increased costs.

This is going to turn into an absolute mess if they take anywhere near 200k refugees. Think there's to be 40k in by Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Bit of a depressing thread when you see people jumping up and down with glee as this is not working out for a few families. Nothing on the report says if it’s 5 or 500 but certainly a few seem to want it to be more than less.

I really don’t understand what is wrong with people. Instead of trying to help would prefer to sit on the internet over joyed it hasn’t worked for others

Also noticeable the likes of Paddy Cosgrove and his group of online, well scumbags is best description, are going back to pushing negative comments on Ukraine

What a horrible little group of people we know have in ireland

No, the Department of Agriculture stepped in and paid for shots etc , estimated to be €100 per pet , there was also a relaxation of documentation requirements.

I'm curious will all these hotels be so welcoming of pets 🤔

• Advertisement

HAP is most definitely an option. They are entitled to full social welfare rights here in Ireland. A lot of the houses that were pledged are rental properties. HAP will be paying the rent.

I think you don't understand what the pledge is all about. The pledge is for accommodation. It's not exclusively for free accommodation. You can of course offer it for free but you can also change rent & HAP will pay the rent.

It's been mentioned by the government that some fair deal homes might be made available. The plan is for the government to pay rent to the homeowners and it won't effect their fair deal scheme. This rent will be paid via HAP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement