Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I didn't say there was 10k sleeping in doorways, I said governments own figures say there are near 10k officially classed as homeless, these folks currently in B&B's , Hostels, Hotels etc . I think to use the 94 rough sleepers in Dublin a little disingenuous when you must be aware every county and most towns have rough sleepers across Ireland and as you know, because of a host of reasons, addictions, mental health etc.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wow. You just keep digging a bigger hole.

Just in case you don't know, the Government is using the Red Cross to organise the refugees. When the Red Cross states that HAP is available they are stating what the government has told them. When the refugees land in Dublin Airport they are brought into a special lounge. They are fed, can charge phones and there are toys for the kids to play with. There are also people from different government departments processing them and giving them information. They get a RSI number for them & their children. There & then. Only hours off the plane & they have RSI numbers entitling them to access ALL welfare offered in Ireland. They get advice on opening bank accounts, social welfare, HAP, children's allowance, schools etc.

I don't know where you are getting the "promises are made" nonsense. This is happening now. I have seen refugees only a few days in Dublin, kids already in school & HAP applied for. I'm in the dublin 5 area. We have plenty of refugees already housed in Raheny, Clontarf, Killester, Kilbarrack etc. All organised through Facebook.

It's just I find it frustrating that you continue to give out false information based solely on your gut. I literally have first hand experience with this over the last month and you insist I am wrong. I have spoken to several being housed in my area. I have driven them places. I have helped source toys, bikes, furniture etc.

You need to learn when to stop digging. I'll leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There are a lot of good points made here, especially about the costs of things and I think you have a point re the migration and standard of living gulf. It’s not PC to say it but I think a lot will stay here as you say given the choice. This could easily add billions to our National expenditure at a time when we’ve already wasted a fortune on covid and tightening economic circumstances

Digging holes 🤔 your clearly not getting the real world are you.

We'll have to agree to disagree but I'll leave you with something to ponder.

There was a terribly exciting news report recently, a community came together, painted a disused community centre, new furniture, bedding, toys and people falling over themselves bringing goodies in. All terribly heart warming stuff, But......

The very same community we're up in arms, vocal protests, vile social media campaign a few years ago, can you guess what it was over 🤔🤔

The proposed use of a local hotel as a Direct provision centre for refugees that don't look like us.

I saw some one say earlier they are ashamed to be Irish, I'm actually embarrassed at the astonishing and breath taking hypocrisy at play. How long do you or others think all this fuzzy kindness will last 🤔

We've been here before and it's vomit enducing.

Night night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Did you read the link I provided the Red Cross has branches all over the country and you said -

🤔 and as I've said the Red Cross is an NGO and I might add little or no experience operating in Ireland and certainly don't dictate policy.

That's my point.

• Advertisement

It's also possible that some will fill the 10s of thousands of jobs that employers haven't been able to fill. I can see a lot of them going into the hospitality sector.

I'd recommend people to join their local ukraine refugees Facebook group. You may be surprised what you see. There are plenty of businesses offering employment to Ukrainians in each area. Only time will tell how many take up the offers but I'm optimistic from what I have seen in my own area. I have already seen a few take up jobs

How's the Main thing they are overseeing going exactly (The accommodation pledges), let me tell you, its a shambles.

From what I can gather, all the other voluntary actions are being done by volunteers, not the red Cross.

Government departments at ports processing

Hey, even Ministers turning up for photo ops greeting refugees. Funny that I've never, ever seen them turn up to greet refugees before, but if course the other refugees don't look like us 🤔 curious that.

There will be no direct provision for the ukraines. Direct provision is where refugees are housed while their application to officially live in the county is processed. The Irish government has already automatically granted ukraines the right to live, work and welfare for 3 years. Again its worth remembering that they get full benefits. People in direct provision get penny's for pocket money

There's a difference between Asylum seekers, and war refugees. Different scenario, and different system involved. Most people in DP are still getting their claims processed/investigated, or are waiting on multiple rounds of appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,828 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would be willing to put money on there being a massive difference between what most of the refugee's themselves would consider acceptable and what a government bureaucracy does.

I remember reading the official wish list and it was things like a minimum of 6 months stay, with 12 months being preferred, and rooms with ensuites. My own kids don't get ensuites, you presumptious gombeens. The fussiness of these people is jaw-dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,622 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

No idea why you jumped on my post to be honest.

Original poster said:

we still have an unacceptable number of Irish citizens sleeping in doorways the length and breadth of the country.

I replied with figures from a homeless charity that it's less than 100 in the Dublin region.

Do you think 94 people rough sleeping from a population of close to 1.5 million in Dublin is some kind of homeless crisis and unacceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not an easy thing to do, some perhaps were thinking with their heart over their head. It's not like taking in 2 Spanish students for the summer months where they are out of your hair 8 or 9 hours a day, it's pretty much like adopting people in to your family that in most cases may not speak English to a level you can properly communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Everlong1

So because I used a figure of speech to illustrate the most extreme and visible examples of homelessness in Ireland you're choosing to rubbish my entire point. What's your response to the 10k figure quoted ? Does that qualify as a crisis or is that to be dismissed as well? My point is why the same level of political and public urgency can't be applied to our domestic crises and it's still valid. I won't even get started on the fact that the world is full of conflict zones that have displaced millions and why haven't we jumped to accommodate them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,828 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 14,622 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

How many people in ireland are currently sleeping on doorways? I showed the numbers for the Dublin region.

Realistically, communication isn't really that hard. Translation software is pretty decent these days (plenty of mistakes but the general gist can be made with practice and reading between the lines of the translation), and while misunderstandings occur, most aren't that much of a problem. I've dated Chinese women, when their English was down to a few words, and my own Chinese was very.. unreliable. It's awkward and not something anyone would want to do for a long time, with communication being limited, but in the end, how much communication is needed to provide a room and food to someone? Body language goes a long way on the simple stuff, and the translation software could be used for the harder things.

I think it's just that "the thought" of sharing with others is often better than the reality. The thought rarely takes into account the personalities and interests of the people involved, instead, seeking the easiest most pleasant version. Especially where kids are involved.

What's happening in Ukraine is horrendous, and we should do everything we can to help.

HOWEVER:

Realistically, we have a housing shortage, we have seriously overcrowded hospitals, and some areas have limited places available in schools.

If 200,000 Ukrainians end up coming here, I have no idea how we are meant to accomodate them..

As usual, our Government have decided to be the poster boys of Europe, with no realistic plans about how on earth we are meant to provide the basic necessities to a people who are already traumatised.

I support helping refugees, I genuinely do - but, realistically, announcing a figure of 200,000 refugees, in an already overstretched housing market, a hospital system in crises, and no extra teachers, resources, or extra classrooms being provided for schools just means that this will not end well. For either the poor Ukrainians, or the Irish.

I wonder will our politicians ever learn that planning is neccessary before embarking on any project?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,863 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

time in this country to focus on looking after your own wellbeing. Successive governments and the EU won’t do it. We are kicked down the ladder so to speak…

as soon as this conflict de-escalates, every NGO and ‘people before Irish citizens’… will be looking for the next conflict and start wanting to repeat the ‘gesture’ for Ethiopians where that conflict there has seen 5600 killed, 2,300 injured, about 2000 captured…in 4 years..

It’s easier check out one hotel to ensure it’s up to standard than checking scores of individual properties scattered around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Regarding vet checks, the risk is much than rabies. There are other pet born illnesses that are widespread in continental Europe but absent here. Some are incurable in humans. I hope this is being accounted for

• Advertisement

I think hyper dramatic language like this causes people to switch off their critical thinking skills and act purely on emotion.

They likely escaped the worst of the horrors if they are already here. The grim stuff we've seen on the news recently is relatively rare in the wider ukraine conflict. Thankfully most people in Kiev didn't witness the barbarism seen elsewhere.

That was my point. These people are granted full status on entering Ireland. They get their Irish RSI number before they leave the airport

Just to be clear.

Asylum Seekers have few Rights on entry to Ireland during residency application process which takes years, they end up in Direct provision and certainly do not get furnished with PPS numbers, Medical card application assistance and certainly no direct access to SW benefits.

But let's be absolutely clear here, some Asylum seekers entered illegally but the vast Majority were actually invited (Taken in) by the Irish Government and the vast Majority "Also fleeing War and Horrific circumstances"

I have yet to see a single, coherent and acceptable reason as to why, Yemenis, Iraqi or Syrian Refugees have been treated so differently.

Absurd reasons given to date range from, Ukrainians are our Neighbours, They are European. Geographically other countries affected by war are nearer to Ireland and I might remind folks, refugees from the Balkan Wars got no special treatments back in the 90's

Just to be a abundantly clear, I. Absolutely welcome all Refugees, have also volunteered at Direct Provision centres but there's appalling Hypocrisy at play here with not just a Two Tier Refugee system but State benefits system created over night.

I might also add, 100"s of people who came here separately on valid work Permits are waiting weeks and Months to be issued PPS numbers, why exactly is that 🤔

The scenes coming out of Ukraine are shocking, appalling and Heart Breaking, they are equally so coming out of Yemin and other war torn countries around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh wait, where are we going to put you all?

Hands up who's up for camping?!

Well, given the sheer numbers and lack of resources I’d say large military type tents are exactly what’s needed in this emergency. There simply isn’t the beds in the country anywhere for single rooms en suite for everyone.

This might sound harsh on my part and doesn’t mean to be but if people are from say western Ukraine and from safe places with no fighting then perhaps it is safe for them to go back and priority given to those fleeing the epicentre of the conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes I understand that , in fact I read yesterday that they were drafting in estate agents to check out private homes for suitability .

This is an emergency and we pledged our house 5 weeks ago and heard nothing . If we are to offer this house we need to know exactly who is coming so we can prepare for children etc . We would put out the word for toys or equipment etc . This house could easily house a large family or two families and there are many others in the same boat who have heard nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well that's fine for maybe a week or two, but beyond that camping is far from 'fun'. Frosts, damp, high winds etc. You cant stick ppl into tents medium term.

Be thinking more along the lines of these type ones but I know nothing about them

https://www.aks.com/main-benefits-of-high-grade-military-tents/

• Advertisement

The permanent beds simply do not exist so we need more outside the box solutions. Hotels must be costing an absolute fortune.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement