Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think they will Kirk, there is no money to fund another lockdown, especially now with the Ukrainian crisis etc. its spring coming into Summer, nows the time to ride it out. Give boosters again come August if people want them and hopefully the winter isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You'd wonder whether those two years of not getting colds and other stuff has something to do with that, in that our immune systems are not fully primed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

I always thought the Irish Times had some of the more 'balanced' coverage on covid throughout the 2 years (albeit you usually had to dig around the business section to get more critical / sensible analysis).

However this is a rather unexpected read, and quite a pleasure to read after the last week of mild media hysterics!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's not confined to the Midlands.

Most major Hospitals are experiencing something similar.

There is absolutely NO requirement for this scenario,which is largely down to a heady mixture of fear induced Hypochondria and the weird insistence on continuing the use of questionably accurate PCR tests,then heaping even loopier Antigen testing on top of the mess,before providing (at what cost ?) an online reporting mechanism,all of which is leading to our Hospitals seeing at least 50% more attendees than would be the case if Ireland had simply ended the entire Pantomine.

With the upcoming recession,very obviously going to threaten EVERY Irish Person's standard of living,it is worth asking just how many of the Covid-19 generation will be Physically or Mentally prepared for what's on the horizon.

The Country has collectively taken flight from any principles of commonsense,resilience and self-confidence.

The end result,as is becoming more obvious each day,is an Irish Society limping along,between bouts of "Vulnerability" , Hospital Visits,and as many Antigen tests as required to keep the Social Welfare "Enhanced Payment" criteria satisfied.

The Country has become mired deep in melancholy,to a level not seen since the 1940's and that does'nt bode well for us managing to see the next few years through in a somewhat well fettled condition.

End ALL Emergency Health Legislative elements.

End ALL public Covid Testing.

Make Ireland Great Again (with apologies to Donald) 🙂

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It is indeed a good thing,largely because the "Party Line" on Covid-19 was becoming untenable due to the ordinary Citizen being now permitted to get out & about and see the reality.

The,almost two year fixation which the entire Irish Media displayed for "The Official Line" had to end sometime,as if it had'nt been addressed now,then it would have taken somebody brave enough to do a Marina Ovsyannikova on it....now THAT was bravery !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWgV0gtUIv0&ab_channel=ITVNews

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

The government have said it, the CMO have said it, doctors have said it. There is no need for further restrictions. Yet the loud minority are still shouting for more to be brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

People are planning weddings, birthday parties, concerts etc.

Covid restrictions are OVER.

It seems only older people are still wearing masks, probably likely to be mass goers. Conservative types.

I wear a mask , personal choice and don't believe they should be mandatory but do believe in a little caution. I'm 54, haven't been inside a church in 40 years and certainly not conservative.

I accept masks don't stop spread but do offer some protection, full disclosure, I am immune compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's mad how many people are annoyed about other people wearing masks. It's a personal choice and there should be no shame in it. The fact that you feel you have to justify yourself to strangers on the internet by saying that you are immune compromised is sad in itself.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Indeed but felt it important to refute the notion only god fearing, conservative old people continue to wear masks 😏

After what I saw first hand at a major hospital yesterday it is no wonder hospital acquired infections on the rise, it was utterly disgraceful and now various hospitals, yet again cancelling elective procedures and appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Omicron has changed everything, even holohans outlook

That definitely has something to do with it, no question about it.

Also 30% of common colds are caused by coronaviruses so our drop in resistance to them alone is making COVID a worse disease

Good piece. All fairy sensible comments - the doctors there seem to use their common sense and see what is actually happening in the real world and how the public, in general, have moved on. A good mix too, Noctor has spoken out a good bit on the impact on kids mental well-being, and Ni Cheallaigh would have been one of the more conservative doctors around the media. So it’s good to accept most sides see them as pointless.

If we’re Basing our lives on what a few media hungry doctor / immunologists, trade head honchos, and Twitter and Journal poll, then we are long through the looking glass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I thought that was an excellent piece.I expected at least 1 if not 2 to say bring back restrictions, and I was honestly surprised that all 3 had the view not to.Across a wide enough span of experience too. Maybe it is how the thinking has evolved in the last 2 years, but my automatic assumption was that they were medical people and would be viewing through an extremely cautious lens.It was good to read a practical column.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have newstalk on in the background and WHO saying people in Ireland should wear masks, eh the WHO should fook right off and mind their own business. There is nothing stopping people wearing masks if they wish, but to bring back a mandate is pointless as most people wear them wrong or have a dirty old rag of a thing. I really feel its a line being crossed by them coming out saying this. Now didn't hear full report will try catch it later, but the absolute neck of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seems there is a move in government to reduce the seven days isolation, presumably to five, on account of the impact on workplaces. The HSE has 5,000 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

It's like Holohan and Government are trolling the hysterical betwetters at the moment - it's great to see!

In reality, they are simply getting on with things like the vast majority of us, which is even better to see. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

The schools and the HSE staff are absent due to COVID

They want us to wear masks to solve the issue , seems a bit ridiculous

You'd have to wonder if they changed the special arrangement for covid (in that it doesn't go on your sick leave record with full pay) would numbers drop in those areas, I suspect days off due to 'covid' would too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

pity that understanding wasn't around when mask mandates were in and masked heroes allowed others to operate in peace - maskless.

While i'd never tackle anybody as I do believe it is a personal choice - should have always been. The idea that we shouldn't have an opinion on the matter - we have opinions on nearly everything - is contra to human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Deeec

You would have to wonder if is there any need to be isolating now at all - if they can bring the days down just like that.

It seems the number of days isolation is now not based on science but depends on how covid is affecting workplaces. They're making it up as they go along.

I'd say the majority of FRONTLINR HSE staff that are out has little to do with covid and more to do with stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

One of the doctors in that article wants mandatory vaccinations.

How a doctor can say that in light of the side effects with the vaccine and the changing scenario that milder omicron has presented is astounding.

Pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Saw that. Omicron has done away with the needs for vaccines, yet they still keep pushing them.

Why force someone to take a vaccine to make something that is already mild even milder?

NT breakfast were saying it could be as early as when symptoms pass

It's actually one thing I'd like to see being kept is people staying home when they're sick, what good does going into work do except for spreading the illness around?

Stuff like awards from work for not taking sick days should go as well for the same reason

It worked well for them back in the early days. Now it's more trouble than it's worth, even NZ and AUS see that

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

• Advertisement

That authoritarian shitehole of a country were pretty much free of any restrictions for must of last year

We were more restrictive for most of 2021 than China, let that sink in

Advertisement