Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm Daisy is forever scarred into my mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got a new laptop recently with a 3070, so have been getting stuck into Shenmue 3 finally. I'm actually amazed how 'Shenmue' they've managed to make a modern game, right down to the way the voice acting is delivered.

I'd imagine someone going in with only modern game experience would not get it at all, really is an ode to the Dreamcast games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Finally completed this sucker. 20 years later and on original hardware. No cheats or hacks but plenty of YouTube videos to reach the 100 percent completion.

Never finished it back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One of the highlights of my gaming life was that game, I had an absolute blast on it, as well as the previous title.

I found that the next title was not as much fun at all, though GTA IV was a blast as well.

I seem to be only capable of getting about 20% into GTA V before getting bored and moving on!

Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption were fantastic, though RDR2 didn't grab me at all.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Same! I didn't get a PS2 on launch but eventually managed to get my hands on one when Vice City came out.

My interest in console gaming waned around that era, apart from a handful of titles. Vice City was one of them. was the go to game when friends dropped by, would always been on in the background with people just mucking about and having an absolute laugh going on crazy sprees.

Master of the Universe

I had a bit of fun last night going through all of my handhelds that have been in storage to see if they all still work - they do!

Highlight was finding my original red Gameboy Pocket that I got on a family holiday to Gran Canaria in 1996, along with the dodgy multicart it came with :D

I tell you what though, we really are spoiled with backlit screens now, no idea how we saw anything on these back in the day!

One of the consoles was an original, hardly used GBA in it's box. There might as well be no batteries in it at all for the amount you can see on screen when it's switched on.

It was quite amazing doing a comparison of the same game in that and an AGS101.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTA IV is one of the most miserable games I've played. Did not get on with it.

It did however provide one of the best multiplayer game experiences I've ever had. I had only turned it on and got invited to a multiplayer game which was filled with boards.ie regulars. It was just chaos, beautiful chao.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cops and Crooks in GTA IV was great craic, spent a lot of time doing races too. For a fairly clunky, sandbox game it was passable for team deathmatch stuff due to how chaotic it could be. I really liked the gritty world and while the story may not be the most interesting I loved the attention to detail but I wouldn't go back and play it again and again like I did with GTA V.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

I never came close to finishing that game, but I did spend a decent amount of time driving around town, listening to the radio stations. Vice City Public Radio with Maurice Chavez was hilarious.

• Advertisement

I still have the CD set that accompanied the games release, it's fantastic.

I also have the set for San Andreas, it's okay but nowhere near as great as VCs music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

After 100 percenting vice city, I'm now tackling vice city stories on the PS2.

I had this game back in the day on the psp.

Cannot remember a thing about it though so feels brand new. Not sure i ever completed it.

Fun fact. It was one of the few legit umds I owned and was permanently kept in the psp itself to allow the booting of "other stuff".

I'm about half way through main story missions, I don't think I'll go for 100 percent this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Playing through Lemmings (DOS version) on the 3ds. I'd forgotten just how frustrating some of the levels were.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm spinning though a few Playstation games on the MiSter PSX core at the moment so lots of mucking about in Loaded, Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Jumping Flash, Klanoa and MGS VR Missions.

I snagged a load of other stuff too. I really wanted to play more Soul Blade but it is the least stable of everything I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm nearing the endgame of Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure. I know the DQM series is regarded fondly enough, especially for something that is so readily described as a clone, but it really does not get enough credit for being a better Pokemon game than anything prior to Gen 3. Team-building, especially, is so much user-friendly than Pokemon to this very day — not once did I have to consult a spreadsheet to discover that a monster's optimal output is locked behind an event/breeding/transfer that was only available in Azerbaijan on a single wet Tuesday in July 2001.

Yeah they are Greta games and I'm still disgusted that we never got monster joker 3 and the remakes of the first two Gameboy games.

Finished Metroid Prime - my 2002 save was stuck on Meta Ridley where I left it in a huff.

I think I’m a better or at least more patient gamer now. While I found Ridley and Metroid Prime annoying, it didn’t take too long to clear them.

So that’s the GBA Metroids, Dread, Samus Returns and Prime done. On the fence about Prime 2 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Still one of my all time favourite games. Is it not very difficult without a mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It uses the DOS game files but uses the 3ds touch screen, it's as handy as the mouse, maybe easier. Selecting individual Lemmings can be a bit tricky (due to screen size) when they do the 88 at once drops. I've had to step away, I was getting way too irritated :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I haven't played Lemmings in an eternity. Had it on the Megadrive when I was a kid and fairly sure I finished it - I see there are 180 levels so fairly impressed with my kid self if that's the case :pac:

Sleeping baby and tidy house = time in Panic’s Magic Cave.

F-Zero X and Strider

I must say, Metroid Prime 2 is amazing, but too hard!

I will probably give it another go when it comes to the Switch, though I had little luck on the GC or Wii!

Yeah, I've heard it's more difficult, @CiDeRmAn! I only played a few bosses worth back when it was released but I wasn't really feeling games in general at the time so it got sidelined.

I'll leave Prime 2 for now I think!

Ah no, play it, especially if you are hot off of the other titles.

I seem to remember it looks amazing, and the light/dark world mechanic is reminiscent of Legend of Zelda in all the right ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Finally finished Witcher 3, started in when it first came out on PS4 and finished it on the Switch.

Master of the Universe

Playing a lot of NES games at the moment, always end up going back to Megaman 2. It really is absolutely perfect. One of those games I always end up humming the songs to.

Bought an 8bitdo receiver for my NES 30 Pad. I've been using a Famicom for years with one of those Hudson pads that goes into the extension port on the front, so haven't been able to sort out a wireless solution as of yet. Luckily the top loader has the same controller ports as the US NES so the 8bitdo receiver should work.

Micro Mages, on the NES, is absolutely amazing.

It's got platforming action for up to four players and looks and sounds fantastic, and all in only 40 kilobytes.

I have it and it was played at several Beers at my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Finally got to play Pepsi Man after years of wanting only to discover it's kinda shite?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Excellent, I totally forgot about that game and have never played it. Will give it a go!

Advertisement