Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

that is a great game, still fire it up occasionally on my GC, but i can't even get past the 1st level on hard, it's super tough (or maybe i'm just ****!). brilliant multiplayer and co-op game too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Coming here to highly recommend the recent Fan Translation of Bulk Slash on the Saturn. The game is an absolute blast and a single play through should only take about an hour. However the fan translation team have done a seriously good job. It must have taken so much effort to replace the voices in the game and cutscenes.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was working my way through Streets of Rage 4 on Hard mode last night, got as far as level 8 and had to stop as the thumb on my right hand felt like it was about to explode!

Luckily you can pick up fairly easily where you left off, so I'll continue on tonight. I think I'm at an age now though where I can only really use an arcade stick for games like this, the old thumbs aren't up to it anymore.

On a side note, I didn't realise SOR4 had scanline and CRT effect options you can turn on in the menu, that was a nice surprise.

It really is a brilliant game. I absolutely love the Chinatown level and the soundtrack as you go up the levels in the pagoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Have started playing the Japanese release of Contra: Hard Corps and it’s so much more forgiving than its counterpart in the West. 3 hits on a health bar and infinite continues, you can pretty much guarantee you’re getting an ending. This might take the fun out of it for some but it’s an absolute banger of a game, can’t believe it took me so long to discover it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

After spending so many years playing the PAL and NTSC releases, the Japanese version almost feels like I'm cheating!

Some game though, definitely trumps Contra 3 for me.

I tried Contra 3 for the first time last week and the game treated me like I had just smacked its dad. The first level has no mercy in it, but I’m told the difficulty winds down a bit thereafter. I’ll probably never find out, it’s not like you can savescum either since you never get a second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Contra 3 is a cake walk compared to Hard Corp. The big hurdle to get over in the boss where you are jumping between missiles but once you get him down it's very easy.

However.... you get an extra final boss if you beat it on Hard and hard is insanity. I beat it last year but it was tough.

Hard Corp is the much better game imo. It's a much bigger game, more bosses, more insanity and no overhead stages that feel like filler. It's my favourite contra. Shattered Soldier is worth checking out as well, I prefer that to Contra 3 as well.

Hard Corp japanese version is for wussies. Real men/appleseed rip off robots (depending on your region) play the western version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

There's one really annoying level/boss in Contra 3, but the rest is pretty doable. I found Hard Corps really tough, I must fire up the Jpn version.

Speaking of awesome Megadrive games, I started Monster World IV last night and played and hour of it and it's soooooo good. It's absolutely gorgeous as well.

• Advertisement

The shmup level in Earthworm Jim 2 is the single most fucked thing I’ve even seen placed into a B-tier video game. That must’ve ruined childhoods in its day. Just watched a longplay of it and even the runner cheesed the thing by getting the double health bar bonus and tanking all the hits.

Yeah it's a piece of ****. And the game doesn't get much better after it.

I liked the idea they were going for bit there was too much experimentation in that game and too much bouncing puppies.

You weren't kidding — Puppy Love, Part 2 actually just turned my stomach this morning with how mental unfair it is.

Bad news for you. I'm pretty sure there's a puppy love Part 3.

Really enjoying the Game Gear function of the Analogue Pocket. It's not only great to be able to see the games but also it's a library I had ignored previously and there's some real gold on the system.

Absolutely loving GG Shinobi. It's really hard but also a great match for handheld play.

Master of the Universe

Just went to stick in an Analogue Pocket preorder and I see the current ones won't be fulfilled till 2023! :eek:

Jesus, there goes that idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Beat the fucker — I savescummed myself a cheeky checkpoint at the halfway mark of the last level because if Earthworm Jim 2 was designed with contempt for the player, I'm going to return the favour.

What an awful, hateful follow-up to what was a decent little B-tier run-and-gun. I was rocking the MD version as well, so didn't even have the banging CD soundtrack from the Playstation and Saturn release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Spent a solid week straight playing it last month and I had to lower the difficulty. The last stage is a killer. Need to look up some tips, as far as I know playing it like any other SoR game won't help as you need a bit of strategy rather than going in button mashing.

I was so disappointed with it. I got it Christmas 1995 I think when friends were all getting Playstations and PCs and it was supposed to tide me over. It was such a weird game. All I wanted was so platforming action but the game was all mini games and experiments that never really worked and the 3 puppy love levels were really tough until you got good at them and then became really boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Finished all the single player campaigns on the Halo 20th Anniversary collection, kinda Halo'd out now for a bit..

Loving the quick resume feature on the Xbox, probably less than 30 seconds from pushing the power button to blasting Covenant..

Metal Slug Advance is a surprisingly complete game for what could've easily been written off as a compromised port. I wasn't expecting it to be wholly original, nor was I expecting it to have Metroid-like elements in the card collecting. It's pretty good, aside from the stinginess around the weapon upgrades — you'll be rocking the basic pistol for most of it.

I found it perfectly fine but it's not a patch on the Neo Geo Pocket games.

Because I am a glutton for punishment.

Hi Retr0gamer. What are those tables? Are they from the retroachievements.org website?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When you click on that table it brings you to backloggery.com

You can register and set it up to display your gaming life

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wario Land 3 on Gameboy Colour. Trying to find all those treasures is tough!

• Advertisement

Metroid Prime for me last night. Took out the annoying Omega Pirate in a flurry of Super Missile shots much quicker than I remember. Is there anything they don’t solve in Metroid games? 😁

Then I put on some Mario Kart Double Dash to play with the missus. It’s a nice version of the game. Really clean graphics and great handling.

Advertisement