Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭deadduck

that is a great game, still fire it up occasionally on my GC, but i can't even get past the 1st level on hard, it's super tough (or maybe i'm just ****!). brilliant multiplayer and co-op game too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Coming here to highly recommend the recent Fan Translation of Bulk Slash on the Saturn. The game is an absolute blast and a single play through should only take about an hour. However the fan translation team have done a seriously good job. It must have taken so much effort to replace the voices in the game and cutscenes.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was working my way through Streets of Rage 4 on Hard mode last night, got as far as level 8 and had to stop as the thumb on my right hand felt like it was about to explode!

Luckily you can pick up fairly easily where you left off, so I'll continue on tonight. I think I'm at an age now though where I can only really use an arcade stick for games like this, the old thumbs aren't up to it anymore.

On a side note, I didn't realise SOR4 had scanline and CRT effect options you can turn on in the menu, that was a nice surprise.

It really is a brilliant game. I absolutely love the Chinatown level and the soundtrack as you go up the levels in the pagoda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Have started playing the Japanese release of Contra: Hard Corps and it’s so much more forgiving than its counterpart in the West. 3 hits on a health bar and infinite continues, you can pretty much guarantee you’re getting an ending. This might take the fun out of it for some but it’s an absolute banger of a game, can’t believe it took me so long to discover it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

After spending so many years playing the PAL and NTSC releases, the Japanese version almost feels like I'm cheating!

Some game though, definitely trumps Contra 3 for me.

I tried Contra 3 for the first time last week and the game treated me like I had just smacked its dad. The first level has no mercy in it, but I’m told the difficulty winds down a bit thereafter. I’ll probably never find out, it’s not like you can savescum either since you never get a second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Contra 3 is a cake walk compared to Hard Corp. The big hurdle to get over in the boss where you are jumping between missiles but once you get him down it's very easy.

However.... you get an extra final boss if you beat it on Hard and hard is insanity. I beat it last year but it was tough.

Hard Corp is the much better game imo. It's a much bigger game, more bosses, more insanity and no overhead stages that feel like filler. It's my favourite contra. Shattered Soldier is worth checking out as well, I prefer that to Contra 3 as well.

Hard Corp japanese version is for wussies. Real men/appleseed rip off robots (depending on your region) play the western version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

There's one really annoying level/boss in Contra 3, but the rest is pretty doable. I found Hard Corps really tough, I must fire up the Jpn version.

Speaking of awesome Megadrive games, I started Monster World IV last night and played and hour of it and it's soooooo good. It's absolutely gorgeous as well.

• Advertisement

The shmup level in Earthworm Jim 2 is the single most fucked thing I’ve even seen placed into a B-tier video game. That must’ve ruined childhoods in its day. Just watched a longplay of it and even the runner cheesed the thing by getting the double health bar bonus and tanking all the hits.

Yeah it's a piece of ****. And the game doesn't get much better after it.

I liked the idea they were going for bit there was too much experimentation in that game and too much bouncing puppies.

You weren't kidding — Puppy Love, Part 2 actually just turned my stomach this morning with how mental unfair it is.

Bad news for you. I'm pretty sure there's a puppy love Part 3.

Really enjoying the Game Gear function of the Analogue Pocket. It's not only great to be able to see the games but also it's a library I had ignored previously and there's some real gold on the system.

Absolutely loving GG Shinobi. It's really hard but also a great match for handheld play.

Master of the Universe

Just went to stick in an Analogue Pocket preorder and I see the current ones won't be fulfilled till 2023! :eek:

Jesus, there goes that idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

Beat the fucker — I savescummed myself a cheeky checkpoint at the halfway mark of the last level because if Earthworm Jim 2 was designed with contempt for the player, I'm going to return the favour.

What an awful, hateful follow-up to what was a decent little B-tier run-and-gun. I was rocking the MD version as well, so didn't even have the banging CD soundtrack from the Playstation and Saturn release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Spent a solid week straight playing it last month and I had to lower the difficulty. The last stage is a killer. Need to look up some tips, as far as I know playing it like any other SoR game won't help as you need a bit of strategy rather than going in button mashing.

I was so disappointed with it. I got it Christmas 1995 I think when friends were all getting Playstations and PCs and it was supposed to tide me over. It was such a weird game. All I wanted was so platforming action but the game was all mini games and experiments that never really worked and the 3 puppy love levels were really tough until you got good at them and then became really boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Finished all the single player campaigns on the Halo 20th Anniversary collection, kinda Halo'd out now for a bit..

Loving the quick resume feature on the Xbox, probably less than 30 seconds from pushing the power button to blasting Covenant..

Metal Slug Advance is a surprisingly complete game for what could've easily been written off as a compromised port. I wasn't expecting it to be wholly original, nor was I expecting it to have Metroid-like elements in the card collecting. It's pretty good, aside from the stinginess around the weapon upgrades — you'll be rocking the basic pistol for most of it.

I found it perfectly fine but it's not a patch on the Neo Geo Pocket games.

Because I am a glutton for punishment.

Hi Retr0gamer. What are those tables? Are they from the retroachievements.org website?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When you click on that table it brings you to backloggery.com

You can register and set it up to display your gaming life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wario Land 3 on Gameboy Colour. Trying to find all those treasures is tough!

• Advertisement

Metroid Prime for me last night. Took out the annoying Omega Pirate in a flurry of Super Missile shots much quicker than I remember. Is there anything they don’t solve in Metroid games? 😁

Then I put on some Mario Kart Double Dash to play with the missus. It’s a nice version of the game. Really clean graphics and great handling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm Daisy is forever scarred into my mind

Master of the Universe

Got a new laptop recently with a 3070, so have been getting stuck into Shenmue 3 finally. I'm actually amazed how 'Shenmue' they've managed to make a modern game, right down to the way the voice acting is delivered.

I'd imagine someone going in with only modern game experience would not get it at all, really is an ode to the Dreamcast games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Finally completed this sucker. 20 years later and on original hardware. No cheats or hacks but plenty of YouTube videos to reach the 100 percent completion.

Never finished it back in the day.

One of the highlights of my gaming life was that game, I had an absolute blast on it, as well as the previous title.

I found that the next title was not as much fun at all, though GTA IV was a blast as well.

I seem to be only capable of getting about 20% into GTA V before getting bored and moving on!

Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption were fantastic, though RDR2 didn't grab me at all.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Same! I didn't get a PS2 on launch but eventually managed to get my hands on one when Vice City came out.

My interest in console gaming waned around that era, apart from a handful of titles. Vice City was one of them. was the go to game when friends dropped by, would always been on in the background with people just mucking about and having an absolute laugh going on crazy sprees.

Master of the Universe

I had a bit of fun last night going through all of my handhelds that have been in storage to see if they all still work - they do!

Highlight was finding my original red Gameboy Pocket that I got on a family holiday to Gran Canaria in 1996, along with the dodgy multicart it came with :D

I tell you what though, we really are spoiled with backlit screens now, no idea how we saw anything on these back in the day!

One of the consoles was an original, hardly used GBA in it's box. There might as well be no batteries in it at all for the amount you can see on screen when it's switched on.

It was quite amazing doing a comparison of the same game in that and an AGS101.

GTA IV is one of the most miserable games I've played. Did not get on with it.

It did however provide one of the best multiplayer game experiences I've ever had. I had only turned it on and got invited to a multiplayer game which was filled with boards.ie regulars. It was just chaos, beautiful chao.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cops and Crooks in GTA IV was great craic, spent a lot of time doing races too. For a fairly clunky, sandbox game it was passable for team deathmatch stuff due to how chaotic it could be. I really liked the gritty world and while the story may not be the most interesting I loved the attention to detail but I wouldn't go back and play it again and again like I did with GTA V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭briany

I never came close to finishing that game, but I did spend a decent amount of time driving around town, listening to the radio stations. Vice City Public Radio with Maurice Chavez was hilarious.

• Advertisement

I still have the CD set that accompanied the games release, it's fantastic.

I also have the set for San Andreas, it's okay but nowhere near as great as VCs music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

After 100 percenting vice city, I'm now tackling vice city stories on the PS2.

I had this game back in the day on the psp.

Cannot remember a thing about it though so feels brand new. Not sure i ever completed it.

Fun fact. It was one of the few legit umds I owned and was permanently kept in the psp itself to allow the booting of "other stuff".

I'm about half way through main story missions, I don't think I'll go for 100 percent this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Playing through Lemmings (DOS version) on the 3ds. I'd forgotten just how frustrating some of the levels were.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'm spinning though a few Playstation games on the MiSter PSX core at the moment so lots of mucking about in Loaded, Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Jumping Flash, Klanoa and MGS VR Missions.

I snagged a load of other stuff too. I really wanted to play more Soul Blade but it is the least stable of everything I've tried.

I'm nearing the endgame of Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure. I know the DQM series is regarded fondly enough, especially for something that is so readily described as a clone, but it really does not get enough credit for being a better Pokemon game than anything prior to Gen 3. Team-building, especially, is so much user-friendly than Pokemon to this very day — not once did I have to consult a spreadsheet to discover that a monster's optimal output is locked behind an event/breeding/transfer that was only available in Azerbaijan on a single wet Tuesday in July 2001.

Yeah they are Greta games and I'm still disgusted that we never got monster joker 3 and the remakes of the first two Gameboy games.

Finished Metroid Prime - my 2002 save was stuck on Meta Ridley where I left it in a huff.

I think I’m a better or at least more patient gamer now. While I found Ridley and Metroid Prime annoying, it didn’t take too long to clear them.

So that’s the GBA Metroids, Dread, Samus Returns and Prime done. On the fence about Prime 2 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Still one of my all time favourite games. Is it not very difficult without a mouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It uses the DOS game files but uses the 3ds touch screen, it's as handy as the mouse, maybe easier. Selecting individual Lemmings can be a bit tricky (due to screen size) when they do the 88 at once drops. I've had to step away, I was getting way too irritated :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
Advertisement