Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That first sip of a pint on Paddys Day will be sweet

PD 2020 was the start of it and was a bit surreal to thinking how deserted places were

PD 2021 was a farce and really demonstrated our 'cautious approach' with no gatherings

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

God this ghoul Fergal Bowers ... big f*cking punchable head on him ... just praying for a spike after St. Patricks day..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I consider myself a committed anti-restriction voice but I don't see that in this article. If anything Mr. Bowers had a bit of measurement all along in his messages. He certainly wasn't the worst.

These threads

• Advertisement

Look raind its not we had no reason to freak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So despite the attempts in some quarters to keep the scaremongering going and questioning if we relaxed restrictions too soon, the COO of the HSE was just on Newstalk

Of the ballpark 1000 currently in hospital who are classed as covid cases, 49% of those are incidental cases (ie: who presented with something else but also tested positive). She also called out that they are not seeing these translating into ICU cases

The biggest challenges seem to be around managing the logistics of ward space and other treatments as covid protocols mean they're limited in who they can put where.

In other news, Micheal Martin is quoted as saying that a recession as a result of the war in Ukraine cannot be ruled out.

So, which is the more concerning headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I think a recession is the bigger issue right now, combined with paying back all the money we wasted for the covid panic... we'll be paying for this for decades...

Yesterday was listening to the news at one, and they had some fearmongering crank from the WHO on, saying that restrictions may come back and Ireland should think about travel restrictions and mask wearing again.

Then he said - but these restrictions will only be short! is he having a laugh? is it back to "just 2 weeks to flatten the curve" now ?.

Oh yeah and the hints that everyone will need a 4th jab were thrown in too.

David Nabbarro was his name absolute lunatic, on the day before the 1st St Patricks day in 3 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I heard him. I actually had to turn off the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Enjoy your 2 days off everybody, well earned and needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So boys and girls, I remember this day 2 years ago when it all really kicked off! Since then we’ve been trough an emotional rollercoaster with some hysterical nonsense, honest debate and Clair Byrne stealing a living!

With today being paddy’s day, two years later… I bid this thread farewell! Hope t’f*k I’m not back anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

RTE are so obviously deliberate with the guests they use. Constantly wheeling out Nabarro as they know he will never not be concerned with Covid, wants some form of restrictions forever. What about the other medics who have been saying it's time to move on? Trust the science, only as long as it's the "right' science apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

St. Patrick's Day definitely happened last year and the year before.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Nabarro has always been a doom merchant all throughout this. It’s what you’d expect from him as soon as he opens his mouth, maybe just like my moaning mother he’s probably terrified of the virus. It does seem that there’s differences of opinions in the WHO organization. Some are against travel restrictions in the WHO and slammed the decision to shut off Africa when Omicron was first discovered there.

Incredible ...

These people are free to continue to wear masks ..why do they want to enforce it on the rest of society ?

The best thing that girl on the left could have done over the last 2 years was lose weight, obesity is a major factor of severe covid - just a fact , not fat shaming here but it would be a real reduction of risk ...she hasn't though ... hmm, I wonder why ? maybe because that would be the harder option ?

the less virtue signalling option ... and of course the media have not been screaming lose weight get healthy from the rooftops (like they should have been) instead they told people to stay at home and eat fast food..

Interesting the typical pro choice and pro mandatory masker

pro choice

pro mandatory masks

Make of that what you will ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

'I'm not fat shaming...but here's some fat shaming.'

People weren't told to stay at home and eat fast food...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fat shaming is another one of those nonsense terms that is just another way for some to deflect from their own choices and responsibilities by blaming others for not buying into it.

Was not one of the excuses used for restrictions by some people that Irish obesity levels meant we had a higher risk level.

Can't have it both ways. Luckily though Covid was and is thankfully of little real risk to the vast majority of people who catch it.

stupid post deleted

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Correct.

There are people in this country,quite a lot in reality,who DO regard the State Broadcaster as a trustworthy and reliable source of information,guidance and opinion.

This makes RTE as unique as the Russian State Broadcasters who are so denigrated for their coverage of Ukrainian events.

When RTE's insistance upon universal Facecoverings is beamed into every household in Ireland,then,as is well proven,shytt sticks !

If RTE were to be democratic about it,then they would "Recommend" this practice to their audiences,rather than promoting this Universal Compliance illusion,so beloved of Communist Regime's Worldwide...for reference,take a peep at Chinese,Russian or North Korean Communist Party gatherings....mass applause for the Leader...those not clapping...disappear.

For a cultured Western Democracy,we really should be doing more to call the likes of RTE and it's editors & producers for their resistance to democratic broadcasting principles ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

No they are no longer mandatory.

Since the vast majority were unsuitable and/or incorrectly worn they represented a vast scale of uselessness.

Yet,these same mask-wearing people would scurry around the Bus/Tram slamming the windows shut whilst babbling about the draught !!

Covid never represented even half the threat to Public Health that Imbicility does !!!😱

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Largely due to these same Admin types now losing the very valuable easy indicator of Compliance which facecoverings represent.

Facecovering wearing is dropping at a nice level rate,as more people come to realize how Covid (of ANY type) represents little threat to them or their families & friends.

The Senator/Doctor will be glued to the Statistic machine this week,for rises in cases,hospitalizations and in their twisted World,even Deaths,if these can be used to further the Fear doctrine which underpins their new way of earning a crust.

Get a Grip,Official Ireland,craziness in Covid terms is best left to those who do it best....in this case the Likes of the Chinese,still attempting to prove how blowing clouds of vapour into the open air will save their particular planet ! 😲

I've yet to remember an issue...any issue over which students were'nt divided....particularly American students,who appear to have Division available as some form of compulsory element of their studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The people in the photo arent even wearing the type of mask that offers any protection. It's become like a talisman for these people to ward off the evil virus and to signal how virtuous they are and unlike "those people". Actually I would say it's more about the latter at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

They say only two things in life are sure, death and taxes. I’d like to add Penfailed misunderstanding almost every single post to that list.

Absolutely, the mask is like donning a crucifix at this point ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

What's this about , doesn't make sense

A less serious variant meaning new restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ah the mail online. Unfortunately as covid is with us for the long haul these soundbites will never go away either. We have to learn to ignore most of the media click bates.. Don’t worry America will never go into a lockdown., definately not because of Omicron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

Was in a pub yday - twas v busy... bit of a culture shock... had to think - will I stay or go... a lot of my friends wer there - the vibe was great - I stayed..

here goes.. not had covid so far.. we'll see now if that changes in the next few days ekk..

Advertisement