Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kin - RTE & AMC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Love Hate was mediocre in it's first season, but showed promise. None of that is evident in Kin. I'm glad you like it so much, but it really isn't that good.

"Not bad for an Irish show" is what most people would say, because the standard is poor here unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Genuinely shocked at the awards it won at the IFTAs. What or who was it up against?

For those comparing it to Love/Hate, I watched all 8 episodes and there isn’t one character anywhere near as memorable as Nidge or Frano. Love/Hate may have suffered at times from less than perfect production but it had characters you could get into.

I'm not sure if that's true. Nidge took a while for people to warm to. But Tom Vaughan-Lawlor always played the character really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I believe it was up against Television behemoths such as Fair City and Operation Transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭redn90

What made it an 8/10? I mean there was some good performances but for the most part the writing was very poor. The whole show was super dark, it look like they filmed it with only 1 lightbulb in place. Some of the shots were super weird with the actors positioned in the far corners of the shot. There was some good elements to it but definitely not an 8/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭J.P.1994

"Not bad for an Irish show" might be a valid argument if it had not done so well in the US. A simple Google search will tell you that AMC, who put most of the money into it, have said it was a big success for them, and are paying for another series, so have Viaplay, a large Nordic streaming service, and it has sold all over the world. If if it's not for you, it's not for you. There are tons of other shows to watch. But to argue that it has only done well because it is Irish and everything is **** here, is nonsense.

I imagine you're trying to make a hilarious joke here, but just in case you actually believe what you've written, neither Fair City or Operation Transformation are eligible for the Film & Drama awards.

The shows Kin was up against in different categories included Valhalla (Netflix), Hidden Assets, Stay Close (Netflix), Ridley Road (BBC), Deceit (Channel4), Three Families (BBC) and Smother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd argue Fair City and OT are as good as if not better than the shows listed, so the wins are of similar value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I agree on that. Emmet Scanlan not great either. Hinds, Dunne and Cox brilliant I thought.

Up against Smother, Hidden Assets and Vikings:Valhalla for best drama. No great competition. It would have been up against Line of Duty, Normal People, Vikings and stronger contenders in 2021 and probably wouldn't have won. Same the year before with Blood and Dublin Murders. The standard of TV productions in this country is improving, not a match for the film stuff when you look at the nominations but we're having a fair bit of stuff screening internationally and that means bigger and better stuff on the way.

And I agree re Nidge and Frano but they took a couple of seasons to develop. Those two are also amongst the best characters ever seen on Irish TV so matching them ain't easy. A few seasons of Ciaran Hinds in Kin might have put Eamon Cunningham up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

Jesus breaking out the definition from the dictionary, clearly you're an intellectual heavyweight, back in my box I go 🤣

It's all subjective. For me a couple of episodes were 9/10 and others 6/10, overall 8/10. I think the best first series (alongside Dublin Murders) of a crime show on this island for some time. Love/Hate's first season was poor for me.

I thought the pacing, cinematography, plotting, development and script were top notch. The acting very good also, bar a couple of the family (Scanlan and Keeley). It was filmed as dark as that, I guess to mimic the Scandinavians. It worked for them. Kin is nowhere near as good as The Killing or The Bridge but it could end up being so. And I guess daylight Dublin (see also Manchester, Belfast, London) will just never look as cool as NY or LA so night-time shooting works better.

Success doesn't always have to be connected to quality. It might be successful, but that doesn't mean it's a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭redn90

I don't like comparing it to l/h bc its 1st season had only 4 episodes while kin had 8. It is subjective and fair play to you, but I can't really see it. The whole plot would've made sense if they actually made the kinsellas smart. Let's be real here, the kinsellas had no means of defense and should've been eliminated fairly easily. I mean eamon even had kem as a mole and still didn't capitalize on it. I think the only saving grace is the performances, I thought cox, gillen, dunne, and hinds were all great. Ultimately, it does have potential but I just don't have any faith in the writer to make it better.

That is 100% true. It all comes down to personal taste. Lots of people watch it here and across the world and like it and think it's good. Others don't. Same with all shows. You're not going to convince me it's terrible, because I like watching it. And I'm not going to convince you it's good. Which is all fine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is 100% true. It all comes down to personal taste. Lots of people watch it here and across the world and like it and think it's good. 

You could apply the same logic to Mrs Browns Boys. I consider it to be utter crap but for some reason O'Carroll has managed to turn it into a highly succesful show. It too has won loads of awards (somehow) but leaving my prejudices aside and being honest, is it actually is a good show?

A good question. What metric should we use to judge whether a show is "good" or not? Viewership numbers, awards, reviews - or the opinions of people online? There are tons of successful shows I don't like, or liked for a while but now think have gone off the boil, but I certainly don't believe that just because I don't like something, it is definitively rubbish. And when I don't like a show I tend to just stop watching it, and go watch things I do like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Season 2 of Kin to start filming at end of the month.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Anything more on Season 2? All I could find was this article from a month ago

https://www.buzz.ie/news/irish-news/first-look-kin-series-2-27438153

Looks like Bren's got an expanded role, hopefully he's in charge 😁

Francis Magee has been upped to series regular this season.

According to what I read, one of the characters we were lead to believe might have died in season 1 is actually alive and kicking for the 8 episodes of season 2

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So Frank was saved from his overdose or Eamonn had a bullet proof vest on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

If it's good enough for Patrick Duffy.....

It was a terrible show. Slow paced, made no sense at all, blasphemous Godfather rip off etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RTE should be launching their Autumn/Winter schedule shortly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how Daredevil joining the MCU in a big way will effect Charlie Cox's availability to film this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Looking forward to this. Some say it is on in the pre Christmas others say 2023. Season 1 compared well with Love/Hate's season one and is as we speak second best show in Ireland to that. If it follows L/H's lead and improves as it goes along we have a lot to look forward to.

Advertisement