Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WrenBoy wrote: »
    This'll be tough but ye've got some near impossible ones right before.
    I have only flashes of scenes of it in my memory.
    Watched it years ago made in 2000's I reckon. Not in English, Im not sure if it was Japanese, or Chinese made, one of those shoot out Gun-Fu movies.
    Group of friends visit a friend on his birthday he's living in a quiet town with his wife and young child. Some gangsters show up and kill him, the friends who were a gunslinger type gang before maybe? Promise revenge and take on a job to get money for the widow maybe ?? lots of shoot outs, merry band of brothers kind of thing, funny in parts. Lots of suit wearing and looking cool. At one point they are having a big cat and mouse shoot out at a building site. has that trope where one of the good guys in the group is overweight and is the source of comedy because he struggles to do things but his friends all back him up and of course he's decent in the gun fights.

Id love to watch it again. If I think of more I'll update.
    Was it Hong Kong with a visit to Macau ? And did one of the crew go off to learn the trade from a gangster and then return later ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exiled ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    That is not how I'd describe that film :D

horses_wide-e7b431ca166c4677dcecefb97bba0b73a786d04b-s1100-c15.webp

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126163364
    Treasure Hunt: In The Good, The Bad, The Weird, three bandits must compete with the Japanese army and other desert nomads as they travel across the Manchurian desert in search of a map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Which is why I said "hardly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Not that no, but I get why you would suggest that.
    Was it Hong Kong with a visit to Macau ? And did one of the crew go off to learn the trade from a gangster and then return later ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exiled ?

Thats it, fair play I didn't give you much to go on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

A British TV series from late 70s/very early 80s maybe. Set in industrial Victorian times. One aspect of it concerns children working in a carpet/rug factory, where they have to be quick to remove a rug from underneath a press and put a new one in it's place before the press comes down and crushes them (which it sometimes does.) The (possible) owner is a disagreeable older man, confined to a wheel / bath chair, who gets his comeuppance when he rolls uncontrollably downhill (I think) and falls to his death.

I don't think it's Clayhanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Short film (about 10 minutes) I saw late at night on Channel 4 circa 1998/99. Set I think along Manchesters Golden Curry Mile. The opening sequence showed a tracking shot of curry houses lit up at night and this Bangra type song with lyrics that went "I am sexy, you are sexy".

A laddish bunch of drunk lads are out for the night, one of them breaks off from the others and says "I'm sh!tting starving". The others go off with these two slapperish girls they've just met. Lone guy goes into curry house and has meal. When he finishes he notices this fat guy who's sitting in front of a half eaten meal. He asks the guy can he finish it, yer man says yes. After the lad finishes it he asks yer man if he's having anything to which the guy stands up and says "I've eaten already", to reveal he's covered in vomit and what the other guy had been eating was his regurgitated meal. At that point the main guy throws up and the end credits roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

There was comedy film where the characters are trekking through a jungle, possibly lost or being pursued.

I think the make their way through the vegetation or look around some trees and they see Humphrey Bogart pulling The African Queen along a river. The scene is from The African Queen film itself and not filmed for the comedy film.

At first I thought it was Hot Shots Part Deux but when I started this post I began to think it might be from one of the Bob Hope “Road to…” movies. However I can find nothing on Google about it.

EDIT: Never mind - it is Road to Bali - I cleverly forgot to put “Road to” with Bob Hope African Queen” in the search bar. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I have an interesting one here, it could either be a film or an episode from a tv series. I remember seeing it on HBO/AXN mid 2000s when I was kid. There are two distinct scenes I remember in the film/tv show that's all. Both scenes are based in an American hospital setting and has a horror element to it.

First scene- A man is alive and taking while his skull is being surgical removed after which his brain is exposed and ants/bugs are crawling/walking all over it.

Second scene- A man/woman wearing hospital gown removes his head while a dog barks at his standing headless figure.

Sorry I couldn't of more accuracy but these are only snippets from my memory from decades ago. I have tried finding this movies/tv show for years but just couldn't and being a movie nerd myself I am inclined to believe this was from some episode of a horror tv show. Any movie nerds can correct me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭head82

I don't have a specific answer to your query and I'd hate to send you down the wrong path but there's something about your description that reminds me of an episode of a rather excellent (and generally forgotten) horror anthology series from the mid 2000's.. 'Masters of Horror'.

Some great stories directed by legends of the horror genre, Joe Dante, Tobe Hooper, Dario Argento etc. My personal favourite.. Takashi Miike: 'Imprint'.

It may narrow your search a bit but even if you don't find what you're looking for, you'll discover some great titles.. especially if you're a horror fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Any chance it's Beyond Re-animator? Set in a Prison Hospital. Dano from Love/Hate is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

It was something to do with a few guys of college age. One of them ends up accidentally shooting a girl he's making out with in a car on the beach while the others are near by. They all agree to bury her but 10/15 years later a building site is about to go up in that spot. So they have to go and dig up the body. They find out it was all a prank (staged death) and that one of the guys was in on it with her, and that very guy ends up getting killed for real by one of them as they are out looking for the body. 

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I know I've seen this film, I tend to rate all the films I watch on IMDB (which is a lot 😁) so after a bit of scrolling back I think I might have found it:

edit: meant to say I know it's not an exact match to the description so it might be another film altogether. I'll keep going through my ratings in case I find something else, it's bugging me now 😂.

Post edited by Frank Grimes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

American slasher movie set on a college campus. Mid to late 80s. I think a cop went undercover to catch the killer. Killer wasn't a Jason or Freddie type but a regular serial killer. At one point this group of student jock types kidnap a girl and bring her to their room with the intention of raping her. They're all wearing sort of gimp masks and put on loud heavy metal music and they have some sort of flashing strobe light like in a nightclub. Cop rescues her and possibly shoots a couple of them. Turns out these guys wernt the main killer(s) and whoever is doing the murders keeps it up. (Can't recall much else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Hi All,

I saw this thread and my heart just jumped a little, though I suspect my details will be too vague to actually be of use to anyone. I remember watching a film on the TV late at night, so it can't have been new then, probably early to mid-90s. It was colour so probably 70s or 80s.

The basic premise was that when people died they went to this place, not sure if it was a huge house or I just remember a house being part of it. There was no real heaven or hell but but in order to stay in that place you had to be remembered by the people who were still alive. If you stopped being remembered by anyone you went either into a big sea or a big nothingness, I don't remember exactly. If you started to be remembered again, even if by one person your place would be restored.

The film was I think about the people who had died, and discussions between them and not wanting to go into this nothingness.

I don't remember much else but I just remember thinking how much I loved this film. It popped into my mind in the early 2000's and every year or so I make a feeble attempt at trying to find it but fail.

I think the main character was male, or most of the main characters were male and one may have been a musician or composer.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Unfortunately not, it was a drama, no comedy at all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Primal Rage maybe? Not seen it and it's not about a serial killer and it's skeleton costumes rather than gimp suits but reminds me of a part they talk about here, skip to 34:35:

Best of the Worst: Halloween Spooktacular 2021 - YouTube

Nice one thanks, I dismissed it at first as the storyline didn't seem to fit with what I remembered but just watched the trailer and its definitely it. The rapist jocks were the guys in skeleton costumes, not sure where I got gimp masks from. Its over 30 years since I saw it and think I must have been just half watching it, had totally forgotten what it was about.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hah nice one, I had no knowledge of the film outside of that redlettermedia vid 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i think this was a TV miniseries from about 25+ years ago. I think it was about 3 college friends whom get out of a small town, 2 of them succeed but one of them becomes a criminal. I remember one scene vividly, the criminal is in prison and has just finished drawing a mural on his cell wall. When the guard comes in and throws a bucket of cleaner onto it and orders the criminal to clean it. But the mural runs and the mural now crudely depicts a religious figure. The criminal kneels before it.

About a decade later the criminal now somewhat reformed is the head of a religious cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have a memory of seeing a kids film in my granny’s when I was a kid. Maybe 40 years ago. One scene stuck with me - train on train tracks in the sky. Dreamlike scene (though it could have been a dream I’m remembering) Very over the top smiley and singing… English actor I think, any ideas??? :)

Sounds very like something I remember seeing on Sky One. Did the cult leader have a beard / mullet combo and wear sunglasses?

Edit: found it. Its called Celebrity. Orignally shown mid 80s, saw it on Sky One early 90s, they would rerun a lot of 80s mini series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Looking for cowboy related gif for a text message I saw this on Google and it is bugging me because I recognise the actress in it.

Anyone know what this film (or series) called or who the actress is?

Mochila: A Pony Express Adventure with Danielle Chuchran. 😉

Okay thanks. I went to sleep and forgot all about when I woke up.

How did you identify it?

never heard of the actress before or seen anything she is in. She must just look like someone in that gif

Ha, no great knowledge on my part. I use a browser extension called Imagus that revealed the title when I hovered over the gif;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Old British movie centred on a gang of kids

Started off with them tying a bicycle to a vegetable or fruit stand outside a shop and the lot getting torn down when he unknowingly cycled off

Most of the movie centres around the gang demolishing a brick house by hand while the owners are away

Possibly one of the Attenborough's in it but not sure

Any ideas ?

Short film (about ten minutes) that I remember seeing on RTE circa mid 80s. The setting was an unnamed Latin American dictatorship and seemed to be a response to what was going on in some Central American countries at the time with death squads, disappearances etc.

There was no dialogue, just music. Opened with workmen coming along in a lorry and using a hose to wash political murals off a wall. Film followed a teenage boy who happens to spot the girl who is painting the murals (maybe at night?) He falls in love with her and he starts going out in secret painting murals as well critical of the regime. Somehow maybe in some coded messages in the murals they plan to meet in secret. He watches her in hiding as she paints a mural and is all set to introduce himself when there's a screech of tyres and a lorryload of soldiers pull up and arrest her then speed off.

I've been trying to find out this was for years, ring a bell with anyone?

Sounds like it could this

not a movie but an episode of an anthology series adapting Graham Greene stories.

A movie from the 90s popped into my head earlier. A film I had wanted to watch but forgot about it for years.

now I have forgot the name of it after just a couple of hours :p

There is a young woman waiting on a train platform. She is surprised to see a guy she knows approaching and asks why he is there.

Then Saffron Burrows (appears to be the young woman’s guardian) comes out of the ticket office saying her friends in Prague have telegrammed to say German force are chattering in the border of Poland and it is now too dangerous to go. The younger woman is upset as there is a competition in Prague she has always wanted to take part in.

She asks the guy what he would and he says he would probably go and get killed. He also offers to with her and keep her safe. They kids but leave the train staion.

Anyone know what this film is? The young actress kind of looked like Cary Mulligan but definitely wasn’t Mulligan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is there an app that do the same as that extension?

Not that I've come across, but there probably is.

A movie/TVM from the past 30-40 years, American made I think. A guy and his partner and their, or maybe her, daughter named Elizabeth. Turns out she's of alien parentage, as is her mother perhaps, and they return to claim her. However, the daughter doesn't want to go but stay with the father. The aliens are reptilian-like IIRC.

Simpsons did a Treehouse of Horror skit of it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

That’s V.

No, pretty sure it was a standalone feature rather than a series. I think there was a hint of comedy thrown in rather than outright drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's 100% V. There is a girl called Elizabeth in it who is half human half alien and the aliens are reptilian.

Australian movie i saw on video circa 1991, comedy set around horse racing, possibly had some romantic sub plot. I remember a bit where a jockey says to his rival after a race "your horse has got two arseholes and you're one of them" whereupon the guy punches him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Is there a movie which has a scene of an old guy taking a micro-cassette audio tape in a steel nutcracker before cracking it open like a nut? The tape was very small, slightly bigger than a 2 euro coin.. it's a distant memory so I'm guessing a movie from the 90s but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

This is one I saw years ago on TV.

It was a comedy about these college kids who are trying to invent a laser that can shoot holes in solid objects. Eventually they succeed in building the laser.

While they're inventing the laser they start skipping lectures and leave a tape recorder recording in a seat so they don't miss the lecture. More and more students start doing this and eventually the lecturer is lecturing to a room full of tape recorders set to record.

What on earth is this film called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭lucalux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

European possibly french or Belgium film about a young girls experience at school and bullying

I saw a trailer for it few months ago, it looked compelling as hell. I know it was released in Ireland/UK in 2022 but can't find it on film classification boards lists. All I remember are scenes of under 10 year old girl looking sad, her brother rejecting her in school and being isolated on the playground

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭head82

Fairly certain the movie you're looking for is Playground (Un Monde) 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 STrent

Hi everyone!

I need your help to find a specific movie for my best friend. As a child somewhere around the end of the 80's or the beginning of the 90's he saw a certain scene on TV that scared the hell out of him back then and he still remembers it to this day. Unfortunately he doesn't know what movie or TV movie it was and even years later when he saw that scene again, he didn't memorized the title :D

So here are all the infos we have in regard to that movie:

- The scene: In a modern day city setting a guy (real person) enters a dark room - perhaps a factory or a (storage) hall - and after a few minutes little (perhaps 1,5 feet / 50 cm tall) red winged devils or demons animated in stop-motion (!) start to fly around him while bugging him at the same time.

- From his second encounter with this scene my friend remembers that the movie was some sort of a silly horror comedy, which confused him a little cause that wasn't what he had experienced back in the 80's or 90's :D Also back then it ran during the afternoon which means it can't be harder than a PG-13 movie.

- Regarding the scene it reminds me very much of the "Jim Henson's The Storyteller" episode "The Soldier and Death", but he says it's not it.

We already tried a few things to find it, but so far nothing led to the right movie. Perhaps you guys know which movie it could be, cause after I had the chance to relive my childhood trauma "The Gate" a few years ago it's now finally time for him to relive his too :D

Thanks in advance, all the best and cheers!