Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

It was something to do with a few guys of college age. One of them ends up accidentally shooting a girl he's making out with in a car on the beach while the others are near by. They all agree to bury her but 10/15 years later a building site is about to go up in that spot. So they have to go and dig up the body. They find out it was all a prank (staged death) and that one of the guys was in on it with her, and that very guy ends up getting killed for real by one of them as they are out looking for the body. 

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I know I've seen this film, I tend to rate all the films I watch on IMDB (which is a lot 😁) so after a bit of scrolling back I think I might have found it:

edit: meant to say I know it's not an exact match to the description so it might be another film altogether. I'll keep going through my ratings in case I find something else, it's bugging me now 😂.

Post edited by Frank Grimes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

American slasher movie set on a college campus. Mid to late 80s. I think a cop went undercover to catch the killer. Killer wasn't a Jason or Freddie type but a regular serial killer. At one point this group of student jock types kidnap a girl and bring her to their room with the intention of raping her. They're all wearing sort of gimp masks and put on loud heavy metal music and they have some sort of flashing strobe light like in a nightclub. Cop rescues her and possibly shoots a couple of them. Turns out these guys wernt the main killer(s) and whoever is doing the murders keeps it up. (Can't recall much else)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Hi All,

I saw this thread and my heart just jumped a little, though I suspect my details will be too vague to actually be of use to anyone. I remember watching a film on the TV late at night, so it can't have been new then, probably early to mid-90s. It was colour so probably 70s or 80s.

The basic premise was that when people died they went to this place, not sure if it was a huge house or I just remember a house being part of it. There was no real heaven or hell but but in order to stay in that place you had to be remembered by the people who were still alive. If you stopped being remembered by anyone you went either into a big sea or a big nothingness, I don't remember exactly. If you started to be remembered again, even if by one person your place would be restored.

The film was I think about the people who had died, and discussions between them and not wanting to go into this nothingness.

I don't remember much else but I just remember thinking how much I loved this film. It popped into my mind in the early 2000's and every year or so I make a feeble attempt at trying to find it but fail.

I think the main character was male, or most of the main characters were male and one may have been a musician or composer.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Unfortunately not, it was a drama, no comedy at all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Primal Rage maybe? Not seen it and it's not about a serial killer and it's skeleton costumes rather than gimp suits but reminds me of a part they talk about here, skip to 34:35:

Best of the Worst: Halloween Spooktacular 2021 - YouTube

Nice one thanks, I dismissed it at first as the storyline didn't seem to fit with what I remembered but just watched the trailer and its definitely it. The rapist jocks were the guys in skeleton costumes, not sure where I got gimp masks from. Its over 30 years since I saw it and think I must have been just half watching it, had totally forgotten what it was about.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hah nice one, I had no knowledge of the film outside of that redlettermedia vid 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i think this was a TV miniseries from about 25+ years ago. I think it was about 3 college friends whom get out of a small town, 2 of them succeed but one of them becomes a criminal. I remember one scene vividly, the criminal is in prison and has just finished drawing a mural on his cell wall. When the guard comes in and throws a bucket of cleaner onto it and orders the criminal to clean it. But the mural runs and the mural now crudely depicts a religious figure. The criminal kneels before it.

About a decade later the criminal now somewhat reformed is the head of a religious cult.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have a memory of seeing a kids film in my granny’s when I was a kid. Maybe 40 years ago. One scene stuck with me - train on train tracks in the sky. Dreamlike scene (though it could have been a dream I’m remembering) Very over the top smiley and singing… English actor I think, any ideas??? :)

Sounds very like something I remember seeing on Sky One. Did the cult leader have a beard / mullet combo and wear sunglasses?

Edit: found it. Its called Celebrity. Orignally shown mid 80s, saw it on Sky One early 90s, they would rerun a lot of 80s mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Looking for cowboy related gif for a text message I saw this on Google and it is bugging me because I recognise the actress in it.

Anyone know what this film (or series) called or who the actress is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mochila: A Pony Express Adventure with Danielle Chuchran. 😉

Okay thanks. I went to sleep and forgot all about when I woke up.

How did you identify it?

never heard of the actress before or seen anything she is in. She must just look like someone in that gif

Ha, no great knowledge on my part. I use a browser extension called Imagus that revealed the title when I hovered over the gif;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Old British movie centred on a gang of kids

Started off with them tying a bicycle to a vegetable or fruit stand outside a shop and the lot getting torn down when he unknowingly cycled off

Most of the movie centres around the gang demolishing a brick house by hand while the owners are away

Possibly one of the Attenborough's in it but not sure

Any ideas ?

Short film (about ten minutes) that I remember seeing on RTE circa mid 80s. The setting was an unnamed Latin American dictatorship and seemed to be a response to what was going on in some Central American countries at the time with death squads, disappearances etc.

There was no dialogue, just music. Opened with workmen coming along in a lorry and using a hose to wash political murals off a wall. Film followed a teenage boy who happens to spot the girl who is painting the murals (maybe at night?) He falls in love with her and he starts going out in secret painting murals as well critical of the regime. Somehow maybe in some coded messages in the murals they plan to meet in secret. He watches her in hiding as she paints a mural and is all set to introduce himself when there's a screech of tyres and a lorryload of soldiers pull up and arrest her then speed off.

I've been trying to find out this was for years, ring a bell with anyone?

• Advertisement

Sounds like it could this

not a movie but an episode of an anthology series adapting Graham Greene stories.

A movie from the 90s popped into my head earlier. A film I had wanted to watch but forgot about it for years.

now I have forgot the name of it after just a couple of hours :p

There is a young woman waiting on a train platform. She is surprised to see a guy she knows approaching and asks why he is there.

Then Saffron Burrows (appears to be the young woman’s guardian) comes out of the ticket office saying her friends in Prague have telegrammed to say German force are chattering in the border of Poland and it is now too dangerous to go. The younger woman is upset as there is a competition in Prague she has always wanted to take part in.

She asks the guy what he would and he says he would probably go and get killed. He also offers to with her and keep her safe. They kids but leave the train staion.

Anyone know what this film is? The young actress kind of looked like Cary Mulligan but definitely wasn’t Mulligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is there an app that do the same as that extension?

Not that I've come across, but there probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

A movie/TVM from the past 30-40 years, American made I think. A guy and his partner and their, or maybe her, daughter named Elizabeth. Turns out she's of alien parentage, as is her mother perhaps, and they return to claim her. However, the daughter doesn't want to go but stay with the father. The aliens are reptilian-like IIRC.

Simpsons did a Treehouse of Horror skit of it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

That’s V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

No, pretty sure it was a standalone feature rather than a series. I think there was a hint of comedy thrown in rather than outright drama.

Advertisement