Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That is the one. Good man yourself.

How did you find it? Or did you just know it?

Nah, I just did a specific search (using quotes) of "forked is only one of them" since you were fairly sure of that bit, which brought up a review someone had written on the episode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Nah, I just did a specific search (using quotes) of "forked is only one of them" since you were fairly sure of that bit, which brought up a review someone had written on the episode :)

I didn’t know “ “ could make such a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wositelec

It's fantasy movie from 60's, 70's or 80's, perhaps from Soviet Union. My friend saw it in 80's. The main character is a man (perhaps a young boy). His main enemy is an evil wizard. The wizard lives in a cave and keeps his heart. He doesn't leave a cavern. He is immortal (probably).I think that main weakness of the wizard was his heart and it was reason that wizard keeps own heart. At the end, the main character destroy his heart, when a wizard leaves a grotto. The wizard rides and falls from horse and die (something like heart attack).

It's similar thread like "Captain Sindbad" (1963), but it isn't.

Definitely not:

Kashchey the Immortal, Russian Кащей Бессмертный, 1945 B&W fantasy directed by Alexander Rou, with Georgy Millyar as Koschei.

Fire, Water, and Brass Pipes, Russian Огонь, вода и… медные трубы, Ogon, 1968 fantasy directed by Alexander Rou, with Georgy Millyar as Koschei.

Beloved Beauty, Russian Краса́ ненагля́дная, 1958 stop-animated film.

Sitting on the golden porch (На златом крыльце сидели), 1986 fairy tale directed by Boris Rytsarev

I had the final moment of a movie stuck in my head all day. No idea why it popped in there but when I finally came here to describe it, the plot and even the cast came to me as I typed.

So strange - I have only seen the movie once in the 1980s on video. What is it doing rattling around in my noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,588 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I had the final moment of a movie stuck in my head all day. No idea why it popped in there but when I finally came here to describe it, the plot and even the cast came to me as I typed.

So strange - I have only seen the movie once in the 1980s on video. What is it doing rattling around in my noggin.

You could have still described the scene and give answer tomorrow!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You could have still described the scene and give answer tomorrow!

Why do you think I should have done that?

Now though I am curious to see if anyone will be able to get it.

This is what I typed earlier :-

An old movie from the 1980s set in pre-Second World War America. The final scene takes place in a church - it pans across the characters to stop at a white man and a younger black man both of whom died at the start of the movie in a violent incident. I think it is meant to symbolise forgiveness. It is is in my head that the white man is played by Sam Shepard but I can’t find any matches in his filmography.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,588 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An old movie from the 1980s set in pre-Second World War America. The final scene takes place in a church - it pans across the characters to stop at a white man and a younger black man both of whom died at the start of the movie in a violent incident. I think it is meant to symbolise forgiveness. It is is in my head that the white man is played by Sam Shepard but I can’t find any matches in his filmography.

General curiosity :)

Sounds intriguing... if it's pre WWII then it's not Mississippi Burning.
    Seems like William Faulkner territory but doesn't match up quite with his adapatations.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    General curiosity :)

Sounds intriguing... if it's pre WWII then it's not Mississippi Burning.
    Seems like William Faulkner territory but doesn't match up quite with his adapatations.

For some reason I can recall pivotal scenes and how it all turns out. Kind of ruins going back to watch it if the opportunity comes around.

And yet yesterday I sat down to watch an episode of 7 Seeds on Netflix and when left baffled at the presence of characters I could not remember from earlier episodes a few weeks ago.

:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Places in the Heart with Sally Field? She won an Oscar for it.

Places in the Heart with Sally Field? She won an Oscar for it.

Yes it is.

I am hoping you can now tell why it suddenly popped into my head this morning.

:P

I haven’t even seen any of the actors in anything lately. It is just bizarre.

Out of curiosity (now my turn) how did you figure it out?

Even before posting I knew it had to involve the South. As I typed I was thinking the man was Sam Shepard (he wasn’t) and that the movie had been about his wife. I then briefly thought the black man was older like Danny Glover. Then I had the scene where
    Glover is attacked at the house and John Malkovich as a blind lodger who scares off the mob because he knows all their voices.
    Then I suddenly knew the lead was Sally Field and I could remember most of the movies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes it is.

I am hoping you can now tell why it suddenly popped into my head this morning.

:P

I haven’t even seen any of the actors in anything lately. It is just bizarre.

Out of curiosity (now my turn) how did you figure it out?

Even before posting I knew it had to involve the South. As I typed I was thinking the man was Sam Shepard (he wasn’t) and that the movie had been about his wife. I then briefly thought the black man was older like Danny Glover. Then I had the scene where
    Glover is attacked at the house and John Malkovich as a blind lodger who scares off the mob because he knows all their voices.
    Then I suddenly knew the lead was Sally Field and I could remember most of the movies

It's a long time since I have seen it and it's possible I never saw it in full. I mainly remember the ending, which I always assumed was probably the inspiration for the end of Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

A Google search came up with this as a possibility via the wiki page on Koschei
    any of the stills jog your memory, Russian movies aren't really my thing
    wositelec wrote: »
    It's fantasy movie from 60's, 70's or 80's, perhaps from Soviet Union.
    It's similar thread like "Captain Sindbad" (1963), but it isn't.

Definitely not:

Kashchey the Immortal, Russian Кащей Бессмертный, 1945 B&W fantasy directed by Alexander Rou, with Georgy Millyar as Koschei.

Fire, Water, and Brass Pipes, Russian Огонь, вода и… медные трубы, Ogon, 1968 fantasy directed by Alexander Rou, with Georgy Millyar as Koschei.

Beloved Beauty, Russian Краса́ ненагля́дная, 1958 stop-animated film.

Sitting on the golden porch (На златом крыльце сидели), 1986 fairy tale directed by Boris Rytsarev

It's a long time since I have seen it and it's possible I never saw it in full. I mainly remember the ending, which I always assumed was probably the inspiration for the end of Lost.

I did think of that church scene in Lost this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Hi all,

Now that there are a few different people on here, I'm going to give this another attempt (I've just realised I posted this SEVEN years ago!)

"Here's what I can remember:

I’m sure it’s from mid 70s to mid 80s. It’s about a guy that was shot in the head and left on a pile of bodies (they may have also shot his wife/family). I *think* he was shot by Nazis, but possibly it was some other nasty fellows, possibly from eastern Europe or close-by. The guy somehow survives and years later tracks down the baddies one by one. He’s previously been told by a doctor that they couldn’t remove the bullet from his head and that if he ever over-exerts himself he could die suddenly.

The movie ends with a slow motion shot of him running towards the camera, away from where he has just killed the last of the baddies. He has a smile on his face, as he no longer cares if he dies.

Thanks for any and all help."

biketard wrote: »
    Hi all,

Now that there are a few different people on here, I'm going to give this another attempt (I've just realised I posted this SEVEN years ago!)

"Here's what I can remember:

I’m sure it’s from mid 70s to mid 80s. It’s about a guy that was shot in the head and left on a pile of bodies (they may have also shot his wife/family). I *think* he was shot by Nazis, but possibly it was some other nasty fellows, possibly from eastern Europe or close-by. The guy somehow survives and years later tracks down the baddies one by one. He’s previously been told by a doctor that they couldn’t remove the bullet from his head and that if he ever over-exerts himself he could die suddenly.

The movie ends with a slow motion shot of him running towards the camera, away from where he has just killed the last of the baddies. He has a smile on his face, as he no longer cares if he dies.

Thanks for any and all help."

Have you made any progress in the last seven years of finding it out?

I need to know before I commit :p

Have you made any progress in the last seven years of finding it out?

I need to know before I commit :p

None whatsoever! It's driving me insane. :D

biketard wrote: »
    None whatsoever! It's driving me insane. :D

Driving you insane for seven years?

I can barely make it through half an hour if I have something like that stuck in my noggin.

Are you sure it is a movie? Could it be some thing like Tales of the Unexpected or a TV mini series?

Driving you insane for seven years?

I can barely make it through half an hour if I have something like that stuck in my noggin.

Are you sure it is a movie? Could it be some thing like Tales of the Unexpected or a TV mini series?

Well it's not, like, the only thing I think about, but every so often I remember when I'm in this thread. I'm 99% sure it's a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

This'll be tough but ye've got some near impossible ones right before.
    I have only flashes of scenes of it in my memory.
    Watched it years ago made in 2000's I reckon. Not in English, Im not sure if it was Japanese, or Chinese made, one of those shoot out Gun-Fu movies.
    Group of friends visit a friend on his birthday he's living in a quiet town with his wife and young child. Some gangsters show up and kill him, the friends who were a gunslinger type gang before maybe? Promise revenge and take on a job to get money for the widow maybe ?? lots of shoot outs, merry band of brothers kind of thing, funny in parts. Lots of suit wearing and looking cool. At one point they are having a big cat and mouse shoot out at a building site. has that trope where one of the good guys in the group is overweight and is the source of comedy because he struggles to do things but his friends all back him up and of course he's decent in the gun fights.

Id love to watch it again. If I think of more I'll update.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Watched it years ago made in 2000's I reckon. Not in English, Im not sure if it was Japanese, or Chinese made, one of those shoot out Gun-Fu movies.
    Group of friends visit a friend on his birthday he's living in a quiet town with his wife and young child. Some gangsters show up and kill him, the friends who were a gunslinger type gang before maybe? Promise revenge and take on a job to get money for the widow maybe ?? lots of shoot outs, merry band of brothers kind of thing, funny in parts. Lots of suit wearing and looking cool. At one point they are having a big cat and mouse shoot out at a building site. has that trope where one of the good guys in the group is overweight and is the source of comedy because he struggles to do things but his friends all back him up and of course he's decent in the gun fights.

It was hardly The Good, The Bad, The Weird?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WrenBoy wrote: »

Was it Hong Kong with a visit to Macau ? And did one of the crew go off to learn the trade from a gangster and then return later ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exiled ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    That is not how I'd describe that film :D

horses_wide-e7b431ca166c4677dcecefb97bba0b73a786d04b-s1100-c15.webp

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126163364
    Treasure Hunt: In The Good, The Bad, The Weird, three bandits must compete with the Japanese army and other desert nomads as they travel across the Manchurian desert in search of a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Which is why I said "hardly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Not that no, but I get why you would suggest that.
    Was it Hong Kong with a visit to Macau ? And did one of the crew go off to learn the trade from a gangster and then return later ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exiled ?

Thats it, fair play I didn't give you much to go on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭MfMan

A British TV series from late 70s/very early 80s maybe. Set in industrial Victorian times. One aspect of it concerns children working in a carpet/rug factory, where they have to be quick to remove a rug from underneath a press and put a new one in it's place before the press comes down and crushes them (which it sometimes does.) The (possible) owner is a disagreeable older man, confined to a wheel / bath chair, who gets his comeuppance when he rolls uncontrollably downhill (I think) and falls to his death.

I don't think it's Clayhanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Short film (about 10 minutes) I saw late at night on Channel 4 circa 1998/99. Set I think along Manchesters Golden Curry Mile. The opening sequence showed a tracking shot of curry houses lit up at night and this Bangra type song with lyrics that went "I am sexy, you are sexy".

A laddish bunch of drunk lads are out for the night, one of them breaks off from the others and says "I'm sh!tting starving". The others go off with these two slapperish girls they've just met. Lone guy goes into curry house and has meal. When he finishes he notices this fat guy who's sitting in front of a half eaten meal. He asks the guy can he finish it, yer man says yes. After the lad finishes it he asks yer man if he's having anything to which the guy stands up and says "I've eaten already", to reveal he's covered in vomit and what the other guy had been eating was his regurgitated meal. At that point the main guy throws up and the end credits roll.

There was comedy film where the characters are trekking through a jungle, possibly lost or being pursued.

I think the make their way through the vegetation or look around some trees and they see Humphrey Bogart pulling The African Queen along a river. The scene is from The African Queen film itself and not filmed for the comedy film.

At first I thought it was Hot Shots Part Deux but when I started this post I began to think it might be from one of the Bob Hope “Road to…” movies. However I can find nothing on Google about it.

EDIT: Never mind - it is Road to Bali - I cleverly forgot to put “Road to” with Bob Hope African Queen” in the search bar. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I have an interesting one here, it could either be a film or an episode from a tv series. I remember seeing it on HBO/AXN mid 2000s when I was kid. There are two distinct scenes I remember in the film/tv show that's all. Both scenes are based in an American hospital setting and has a horror element to it.

First scene- A man is alive and taking while his skull is being surgical removed after which his brain is exposed and ants/bugs are crawling/walking all over it.

Second scene- A man/woman wearing hospital gown removes his head while a dog barks at his standing headless figure.

Sorry I couldn't of more accuracy but these are only snippets from my memory from decades ago. I have tried finding this movies/tv show for years but just couldn't and being a movie nerd myself I am inclined to believe this was from some episode of a horror tv show. Any movie nerds can correct me?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭head82

I don't have a specific answer to your query and I'd hate to send you down the wrong path but there's something about your description that reminds me of an episode of a rather excellent (and generally forgotten) horror anthology series from the mid 2000's.. 'Masters of Horror'.

Some great stories directed by legends of the horror genre, Joe Dante, Tobe Hooper, Dario Argento etc. My personal favourite.. Takashi Miike: 'Imprint'.

It may narrow your search a bit but even if you don't find what you're looking for, you'll discover some great titles.. especially if you're a horror fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

Any chance it's Beyond Re-animator? Set in a Prison Hospital. Dano from Love/Hate is in it.

Advertisement