Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

1huge1 wrote: »
    One of the best gigs I've ever gone to, well worth spending the extra to get into the golden circle.

Out of curiosity, were you at the Stones' 2007 Slane gig, and if you were, what did you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

Goreme wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, were you at the Stones' 2007 Slane gig, and if you were, what did you think of it?

I was at both and Croke Park was superior. But both gigs pale in comparison to the Point Depot gig back in I think 2003. One of the best gigs I have ever seen. So close to the stage you could count Keefs wrinkles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Goreme wrote: »

I was actually, the 2007 gig pales in comparison to Croke Park.

Not sure if it was more an issue with the Slane, but I enjoyed Croke Park way more than the 2007 gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

+1 to Croke Park.
    Blown away. Gimme Shelter performance was unforgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I wasn't at Slane (too young :o) but I was at Hyde Park in 2014. My god, The Rolling Stones at Croke Park were like a completely different band. An unreal performance, wish I could experience it again. I particularly remember Wild Horses, great moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

1huge1 wrote: »
    I was actually, the 2007 gig pales in comparison to Croke Park.

Not sure if it was more an issue with the Slane, but I enjoyed Croke Park way more than the 2007 gig.

Yeah, that would be my thoughts on Slane 2007 also. The reviews from Croke Park were far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Seeing The Rolling Stones is always going to be a special experience. They are iconic and have a very strong claim to "the greatest rock and roll band of all time"

However I must say I was super disappointed by the Croke Park gig. Most people seemed to love it, which was great, but I thought they were very sloppy. Keith had a pretty off night and so did Charlie which was surprising. He almost looked apologetic during his introduction. Mick on the otherhand was incredible and never missed a beat! They did get better towards the end, but it's a fair bit away from anything I'd call an amazing gig!

I must say I thought they were much sharper at Slane 2007. Keith was pretty poor that night too but Ronnie played an absolute blinder and saved the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking back at past gig pics/vids

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to have The Academic as support???. The place was half deserted and they really didn't fit the bill

Should of been someone like Horslips

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking back at past gig pics/vids

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to have The Academic as support???. The place was half deserted and they really didn't fit the bill

Should of been someone like Horslips

I was conflicted about it as I had two points of view..

1. It was a good idea as they were a cheap local band (from the perspective of the Rolling Stones that is). Gig sold incredibly well, why waste money on a big name when it wasn't going to pull any additional fans in AND they're pushing a local act. It was also consistent with the majority of their tour that had fairly unknown acts (from a global perspective).

2. In contrast, the support acts on the UK side were sensational; Elbow, Liam Gallagher, Florence, Richard Ashcroft and the Kooks (in Germany oddly).

As such I think the UK was an anomaly. Why the Academic though? Who knows.

1. It was a good idea as they were a cheap local band (from the perspective of the Rolling Stones that is). Gig sold incredibly well, why waste money on a big name when it wasn't going to pull any additional fans in AND they're pushing a local act. It was also consistent with the majority of their tour that had fairly unknown acts (from a global perspective).

2. In contrast, the support acts on the UK side were sensational; Elbow, Liam Gallagher, Florence, Richard Ashcroft and the Kooks (in Germany oddly).

felt short changed for my ticket after seeing those calibre of support act. Remember there was sort of a special annoucement for the irish support and it ended up being a press thing with the academic

anyways i enjoyed my day and was so cool seeing the stones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Id rather the Academic than Florence, Richard Ashcroft or the Kooks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Nal wrote: »
    Id rather the Academic than Florence, Richard Ashcroft or the Kooks

seriously

seriously

They're all total plopsies. Florences popularity is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Nal wrote: »
    They're all total plopsies. Florences popularity is baffling.

that's not the point, they are still far superior to the academic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

corm500 wrote: »
    I was at both and Croke Park was superior. But both gigs pale in comparison to the Point Depot gig back in I think 2003. One of the best gigs I have ever seen. So close to the stage you could count Keefs wrinkles :D

Agree with you there. Still have the t shirt!

Jesus this gig was 2 years tomorrow, great day/night it was

Only feels like the other day, remember all the controversy about this being an extra Croke Park gig and the residents trying to get it called off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just got the reminder on Google Photos, it was an absolutely amazing gig.

I had seen them in Slane in 2007, the Croke Park 2018 was far superior.

Ah ****, will always be remembered. The man lived and breathed music. Very underrated drummer

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drummer-dead-dies-1235047778/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Rumours of a European Tour announcement coming up soon.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The announcement is supposed to be on Monday, although we already know there will be two gigs at Hyde Park and one at Anfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭fafy

Can’t see them coming here, no suitable venue to play, (very unlikely in Dublin at least)and they have already done Slane twice.

Saw them in Slane ‘07, one of the worst outdoor gigs i was ever at. An amazing back catalogue - absolutely no doubt about that, just felt very weak and contrived, live in Slane, way over choreographed.

However the one i would have loved to have been at was the relatively intimate, Point in ‘03, rave reviews of that gig all around.

Yeah hard to see an Irish date been included

Croke Park in 2018 was a great gig and who knew poor Charlie only had a few more years left 😢

Don't think I could afford the tickets now, Liverpool would be a great place to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think the stones will only do a short enough tour at this stage a bit like the last U S tour i heard a few of those concerts and i feel they ran out of a little bit of steam towards the end . They can still put on a good show but promoters will not pay silly money at this stage even for a farewell tour not that they would say its a final tour .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No Irish date as expected. I saw them in 2018 and 2013, as much as I love the Stones I wouldn't have been massively pushed on seeing them again now that Charlie is gone. Still, my wife has never seen them so would have been nice to take her to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There is no leg room whatsoever in the Kenny dalglish stand, even less in the kop but normally everyone is standing, can't see Middle class stones fans in their late 60s enjoying paying that much when they find out.

I'll go to Liverpool. Cheap flights from Knock.

https://rollingstones.com/tour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The Diamond view for Hyde Park is excellent value at £579.

Yes £579 to stand in a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jesus, they're nearly dead now (one of them already is). What do they need all that money for?

Advertisement