Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

a disgrace :pac:

the vast majority of concert venues have no food whatsoever.
    there's no need for any hot food at Croker for a gig. Is it really that hard to find somewhere to eat before going to the gig? or survive without food for a few hours?

then again, given what a bunch of fat fukcs we are in Ireland, maybe it is....

That isn't true. Not everyone has the time for that coming from work to a stadium gig.

Anyway to those in the Gold Circle or Pit last night - have decided to go to Cardiff for June 15th and flights booked. Tix still available. How was the view in the Gold Circle, good enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Amazing gig, parts of the night are a blur though haha.

Went fibbers after it, great buzz down there.

Anyone know if quinns was open last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just curious what did mick say about spice bags lol

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

corm500 wrote: »
    I went to this gig almost out of duty as I knew this would be their last show here. I expected them at their advanced age to be phoning it in. Boy was I wrong. Fantastic gig and far superior to the Slane gig. Charlie and Keith seem on their last legs with Ronnie and Mick taking charge. Surely Jagger must be one of if not the greatest frontmen of all time. He seemed to get more energized as the night went on like he was feeding off of the crowds energy. Gimme Shelter was my highlight out of a night of highlights. Anyone who was lucky enough to watch them last night witnessed a pure master class in music. There was no fancy gimmicks, no moving stages or giant blow up lips. This was all about the music

That rendition of Gimme Shelter was probably the best moment of my 40 years of concert going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Merely crowd pandering! In fairness he didn't go down the "patronise the Irish" route that many acts do but the reference to Ronnie Wood as "the kid from Kildare" got a (rightfully) brilliant response!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

He said he was in Temple Bar the night before having a spice bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

thebull85 wrote: »
    Went fibbers after it, great buzz down there.

Was in Fibbers myself after. Good craic in there. Ran the junkie gauntlet down O'Connell St then for a taxi.

The Nal wrote: »
    Was in Fibbers myself after. Good craic in there. Ran the junkie gauntlet down O'Connell St then for a taxi.

Ah stop man ha end up getting a rickshaw from croke park up to fibbers. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Did anyone notice security telling people you couldn't bring your drink from outside the entrance of the pitch into the actual pitch area. I had to wait just inside the turnstiles for a friend who had to go back and get a ticket re printed. I got a plastic bottle of Carlsberg from one of the vendors. I had it in my pocket going in and brought it to the pitch with me. I noticed loads slugging off the end of their drinks as security saying they couldn't bring it in. Very odd, sure you could buy the exact same thing once you walk 10 yards further in. Is it a cynical ploy to get people to dump drinks and re purchase a fresh one or was their a miss communication and also the plastic pint glasses weren't allowed it??

Did anyone notice security telling people you couldn't bring your drink from outside the entrance of the pitch into the actual pitch area. I had to wait just inside the turnstiles for a friend who had to go back and get a ticket re printed. I got a plastic bottle of Carlsberg from one of the vendors. I had it in my pocket going in and brought it to the pitch with me. I noticed load slugging off the end of theirs as security saying they couldn't bring it in. Very odd, sure you could buy the exact same thing 10 yards further. Is it a cynical ploy to get people to dump drinks and re purchase a fresh one or was their a miss communication and also the plastic pint glasses weren't allowed it??

Yeah i noticed alright, got caught out the first time when going for a couple of bottles of that warm piss.

I seem to remember someone mentioning damage to the pitch from alcohol being spilled as the reason for not allowing drinks in, sounds like BS though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Did anyone notice security telling people you couldn't bring your drink from outside the entrance of the pitch into the actual pitch area. I had to wait just inside the turnstiles for a friend who had to go back and get a ticket re printed. I got a plastic bottle of Carlsberg from one of the vendors. I had it in my pocket going in and brought it to the pitch with me. I noticed loads slugging off the end of their drinks as security saying they couldn't bring it in. Very odd, sure you could buy the exact same thing once you walk 10 yards further in. Is it a cynical ploy to get people to dump drinks and re purchase a fresh one or was their a miss communication and also the plastic pint glasses weren't allowed it??

It was the same at Coldplay and U2 last Summer.
    At Coldplay, we were in the front row upstairs and had a decent vantage point of the stewards preventing folk entering the pitch with drinks.

There were vendors on the pitch selling drinks at the same time.
    We couldn't figure out the logic at all! I wondered if it's a litter reduction thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Am I right in saying that the Carlsberg you buy in the concourse have bottle caps and the ones you buy on the pitch don't (as they're removed)

The Aviva Stadium have a similar policy where they de-cap everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Nope. People around me on the pitch were removing their own caps.

It must be just a a money thing. I can't think of any other reason why you can't bring your drink from the concourse onto the pitch. Maybe Croke Park sell the drink outside and Aiken get a cut of the drink inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

thebull85 wrote: »
    Anyone know if quinns was open last night?

Was in Quinns for a couple before the gig, got very busy so we got some cans and drank em at the canal then.

Fantastic show last night, they may be dinosaurs but they still know how to rock! Standing was fairly deserted when we got in so we were able to walk right up to the barrier for the gold circle. Good view and sound was spot on. Place looked great when it got dark.

Spotted several folks before the gig wearing t shirts that had the lips logo done in the tricolour, where did they get them anyone know?

Testament1 wrote: »
    Was in Quinns for a couple before the gig, got very busy so we got some cans and drank em at the canal then.

Fantastic show last night, they may be dinosaurs but they still know how to rock! Standing was fairly deserted when we got in so we were able to walk right up to the barrier for the gold circle. Good view and sound was spot on. Place looked great when it got dark.

Spotted several folks before the gig wearing t shirts that had the lips logo done in the tricolour, where did they get them anyone know?

Penneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Wheety wrote: »
    Nope. People around me on the pitch were removing their own caps.
    It's stadium policy that all drinks have the caps removed at point of sale.
    It must be just a a money thing. I can't think of any other reason why you can't bring your drink from the concourse onto the pitch. Maybe Croke Park sell the drink outside and Aiken get a cut of the drink inside?

If you can bring drink in, then you end up with thousands of people going back out to get pints after the show starts and bringing them back, when what you want is a one-way flow of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Well I'm just saying what I witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The usual reason given for caps being taken off at gigs is to reduce the harm if the bottle is thrown. If an open bottle is flung across a crowd the exiting water slows it down, it also will make it lighter so it if does hit someone in the face it is lighter and slower to hit them.

Some will bring in, or keep spare caps so they can recap if they want.

Later on there is also the possibility of the licensing laws, with our ludicrous 10pm limit on off sales. Wetherspoons will sell you takeout cans at the same price as bar prices now (often cheaper than other offies), but not after 10pm.

They possibly do not want pint glasses on the pitch as scumbags piss in them, and sometimes throw them too.

What ml were the carlsberg bottles?

If you can bring drink in, then you end up with thousands of people going back out to get pints after the show starts and bringing them back, when what you want is a one-way flow of people.

He is referring to the same bottles that were being sold on the pitch. I didn't see any pint glass vendors around when I came in

I would be interested to know how their energy levels (and hips) will sustain as the tour progresses.

We are blessed to have been the first leg!

And that weather!

I missed half of SFTD due to all the messing about at the box office van so great to see this uploaded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Hellraiser316

Went to the gig last night with my owl lad for his 60th birthday present. Stones are both our favourites and this was our last chance to see them live. We had great seats and got quite emotional at the end, fantastic gig. However would've loved to hear the likes of rocks off,monkey man, sweet Virginia.
    Nonetheless great night, more than a gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Went to the gig last night with my owl lad for his 60th birthday present. Stones are both our favourites and this was our last chance to see them live. We had great seats and got quite emotional at the end, fantastic gig. However would've loved to hear the likes of rocks off,monkey man, sweet Virginia.
    Nonetheless great night, more than a gig.

Are they splitting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

I was on the general admission standing I could see most of the stage but there's always one super tall ****er in your way could barely see the catwalk and the stage was blocked a good bit too.

Despite, some super drunk and drugged up people it was a mega gig.

The setlist was one that would have pleased the hardcore fans. Played neighbours and worst from the first time in years. Last 7 songs really picked up the pace and the place was buzzing.

So glad I went, I really need to appreciate what these guys do at their age. 100% would go again if they ever came back here.

Highlights: Tumbling dice, start me up, brown sugar, gimme shelter, satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

Are they splitting up?

Well no. But the lads are like over 70 now. Combined ages of near 250 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hellraiser316

Are they splitting up?

Seeing as they're mid seventies, I'd imagine they haven't got lone left, but I suppose you never know with the stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

I was on the general admission standing I could see most of the stage but there's always one super tall ****er in your way could barely see the catwalk and the stage was blocked a good bit too.

Despite, some super drunk and drugged up people it was a mega gig.

The setlist was one that would have pleased the hardcore fans. Played neighbours and worst from the first time in years. Last 7 songs really picked up the pace and the place was buzzing.

So glad I went, I really need to appreciate what these guys do at their age. 100% would go again if they ever came back here.

Highlights: Tumbling dice, start me up, brown sugar, gimme shelter, satisfaction.

I agree - standing was overall good but it was a pity about the usual groups of overly drunk/drugged up morons shouting and screaming at each other constantly. To be expected though I suppose.

Overall great gig, second time I've seen them and they really didn't disappoint

Thought the sound was excellent too - I heard Croker can be hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Seeing as they're mid seventies, I'd imagine they haven't got lone left, but I suppose you never know with the stones.

When I saw them the first time my thinking was that it was probably my last chance, yet there I was last night in Croker for round 2. I guess never say never but our chances are obviously getting less and less as the years go by.

Reflecting on it today it really was a very good gig I think. No messing around, no gimmicks, just some good music. Early on, first or second song, they had each screen showing one of the four and nothing else and it occurred to me that that was what it was all about, just the four lads playing some cracking songs. And they did it really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

A gig to remember.
    One major gripe and disappointment was all the security staff blocking off the toilets while exiting in tunnel at end.
    The were telling everyone that there were toilets ahead. None.
    Hundreds of males pissing in gardens outside.
    As a son, father of daughters and husband, I felt so sorry for females and elderly. They had no option.
    Thought it was a cruel selfish and thoughtless act on behalf of organisers and so disrespectful to "victims" and residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As fantastic as they were last night... and they were...just for the first time they looked like and you sensed this might be the last couple of laps, but fair fûcks. If kids a quarter of their age could pull off such a show in terms of quality, energy and entertainment.... still....catch em while you can !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Are they splitting up?

According to Keef "the only honourable way to leave the Stones is to die".

Andrea B. wrote: »
    A gig to remember.
    One major gripe and disappointment was all the security staff blocking off the toilets while exiting in tunnel at end.
    The were telling everyone that there were toilets ahead. None.
    Hundreds of males pissing in gardens outside.
    As a son, father of daughters and husband, I felt so sorry for females and elderly. They had no option.
    Thought it was a cruel selfish and thoughtless act on behalf of organisers and so disrespectful to "victims" and residents.

Always the way. I don't know why the residents don't insist on the toilets being left open at the end.

I had a piss behind a car down a lane. Would've ended up in A&E if I didn't. The relief washed over me in an awesome wave.

Advertisement