Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rolling Stones - 17th May 2018 - Croke Park - *Discussion Only / No Ticket Sales*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I was seated at 8.15pm and it was half empty, so much so that I accidentally bumped into everyone else who I knew was going. As if by magic by 8.45 it was around 85/90% full.

Criminal having to get out of bed for work this morning.

Same. I'm knackered but it was so worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

larry1 wrote: »
    Better than Bruce??? LOL, that's the funniest thing i've heard in years :D

Funniest thing in years? How often are you let out?

I'll PM you his number if you wish to tell him your opinion and send him green smileys though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Great show. Highlights for me were Just Your Fool, Before They Make Me Run, The Worst and Brown Sugar. Especially the opening riff of Brown Sugar with sounding like Keith turned it up ti 11 in my right ear. Sound was great and it was very loud.

My missus getting proper star struck when Keef walked out in front of us on the walkway was funny.

Was anyone at the back of the pit during Cant Always Get and see the guy collapse? Proper medical scene. Hope hes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Absolutely amazing gig. Blown away
    Got there and we’re told “the Stones didn’t want people sitting in a particular part of the stand” so we got moved to a different part which worked out well

Amazing show, great stage, head is up my arse now

Anyone else see the car being rammed by two Garda vans but then making it away. Holy smoke

On Dorset street after gig. Happened beside a huge crowd of people

Was a bit worried there for a minute
    What was the story with this?

We walked up along the canal at Whitworth Road and there were unmarked/squad cars, garda vans and bikes going up and down the road and in and out of the side streets. Got up to Cross Guns bridge and at least 25/30 garda vehicles passed us with sirens wailing heading towards Doyle's Corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Amazing gig. Up there with my top gigs on Irish soil. Was just behind Pit A in the gold circle. The sound was perfect. Mick and Ronnie had great energy and rocked the place. Was great to see Mick's moves live. Comedian Kevin Bridges was standing beside us and Little finger was mooching around too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Got lucky dip tickets. Pulled out two no filter pit A tickets and thoroughly enjoyed every second of the gig with a birds eye view. Looked around the venue at a few points and must say if I were the stones I'd be delighted with the crowd there! was about 85% full.....

To all the negative "it'll be empty" sheep posters, you missed one hell of a show. And I'm glad you did.

Bit childish. I don't think that was really the context of the posts. I think it was mostly one of surprise that it was possible to pick up a ticket for the Rolling Stones for a measly €30. When the talk initially was that it would sell out. I don’t think anyone with half a brain would have thought the stadium would be half-empty.

As for any of those “negative sheep posters” who didn’t attend, I presume they didn’t go because, like myself, they have no interest in the band. I don’t think they really care if you take delight and what is seemingly smug satisfaction from the fact that they were not there. Considering that you seemed to have a great night, could you not just focus on that. Bit of a contradiction in terms that you are calling out others for being negative, and here you are focusing on a negative aspect, on what should be a very happy moment for you. Just enjoy those feel-good memories and the buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Wheety wrote: »
    I was beside the left sound stage as you look at the stage. I thought the sound was great.

That was the sweet spot alright. At the back there was a reverb chamber going on. Got up near the gold circle barriers and it wasn't loud at all and very much picture taking gig goers. But in front and to either side of the desk it was pretty much perfect. And people dancing not far behind it which is always a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

dasdog wrote: »
    That was the sweet spot alright. At the back there was a reverb chamber going on. Got up near the gold circle barriers and it wasn't loud at all and very much picture taking gig goers. But in front and to either side of the desk it was pretty much perfect. And people dancing not far behind it which is always a good sign.

Suppose the sound stage will be where the engineer will be tweaking it to sound perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I live 10 minutes from Croker so decided to walk down at about 7:30 to try to buy tickets. I couldn’t find a single tout though. Is this typical?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Absolutely amazing gig. Blown away
    Got there and we’re told “the Stones didn’t want people sitting in a particular part of the stand” so we got moved to a different part which worked out well

Amazing show, great stage, head is up my arse now  

Anyone else see the car being rammed by two Garda vans but then making it away. Holy smoke

On Dorset street after gig. Happened beside a huge crowd of people

Was a bit worried there for a minute
    I seen the aftermath of the guy getting caught on Constitution Hill, my mate and I were walking back from the gig that way and the car came screeching down the road, cops surrounded it and dragged the fella from it.

But in regards to the gig, it was absolutely amazing.  When you think they have a near combined age of nearly 300, the performance they put on was outstanding.  Jagger is such a showman.  Was on the pitch to the right probably at the halfway line or thereabouts, sound was great, crowd were in top form.  Delighted to tick seeing them live off the bucket list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I live 10 minutes from Croker so decided to walk down at about 7:30 to try to buy tickets. I couldn’t find a single tout though. Is this typical?
    There was some outside the Big Tree pub when I was on the way in.  Normally that's the spot for all events in Croker

The ladies seemed to be very impressed with the boys jackets. And Ronnies shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Wheety wrote: »
    Suppose the sound stage will be where the engineer will be tweaking it to sound perfect.

That's why I gravitate to the mixing desk for every outdoor gig :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭Zardoz

wacotaco wrote: »
    What tickets did others get with the lucky dip? Just heard of the Pits so far!

I got nosebleeds in 708, but found some empty seats in 304 so watched the gig from there.
    A lot of people opened the envelopes beside me when I was queuing for ticket collection at the solitary window.
    Most got seats in 707 to 708 or 308 to 310.
    Good dips were like hens teeth.

The crowd were very slow coming in, most too busy drinking.
    Thought the show was only fair , I wouldn't be a big fan though.
    I'm sure that hardcore fans enjoyed it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

The Nal wrote: »
    The ladies seemed to be very impressed with the boys jackets. And Ronnies shoes.
    Could not take my eye off Ronnie’s converse!! They were so nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Zardoz wrote: »
    I got nosebleeds in 708, but found some empty seats in 304 so watched the gig from there.
    A lot of people opened the envelopes beside me when I was queuing for ticket collection at the solitary window.
    Most got seats in 707 to 708 or 308 to 310.
    Good dips were like hens teeth.

The crowd were very slow coming in, most too busy drinking.
    Thought the show was only fair , I wouldn't be a big fan though.
    I'm sure that hardcore fans enjoyed it more.

I paid €180 for my Block 304 ticket. Whilst I loved the gig and the night the view from my seat wasn't good enough to command that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I wasn't at the show,but reading the posts it appears that the sound was great as usual down on the pitch.Just wondering how was it up in the stands.I was at Springsteen in 2016 and got into the pit where the sound was brilliant,but people who were up in the stands,especially far back in the Hogan and Cuask and in all of the Davin,said it was awful.You would be nearer to God than the stage up in the Davin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I wasn't at the show,but reading the posts it appears that the sound was great as usual down on the pitch.Just wondering how was it up in the stands.I was at Springsteen in 2016 and got into the pit where the sound was brilliant,but people who were up in the stands,especially far back in the Hogan and Cuask and in all of the Davin,said it was awful.You would be nearer to God than the stage up in the Davin.

it's like all the concerts the closer you are to the roof the more of an echo you get from the speakers, i was in lower cusack and sounds was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Great show last night

The sound was great where we were, just to the right of the sound stage

Pity they didn't play Monkey Man which they soundchecked earlier in the week but what can you do? So many classics in their back catalogue

The drink situation was atrocious though. All I saw on sale was Carlsberg. €6.50 for a bottle of 3.8% warm piss. Couldn't even finish the first bottle. Just drank water for the rest of the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I was in the Upper Hogan, down near the stage, and the sound was perfect.

The echo was noticeable during Wild Horses but it almost gave it a nice haunting quality... otherwise, no issues

The Davin is always an issue, not sure what it was like last night, but the laws of physics apply even to rock legends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I paid €180 for my Block 304 ticket. Whilst I loved the gig and the night the view from my seat wasn't good enough to command that price.

All of these outdoor concerts are grossly overpriced.
    Its ridiculous when you think of it, the nearest seat to the stage in Croke Park is further away than the back seats in the 3ARENA.
    I feel detached at gigs in Croke Park if seating,it's not an immersive experience compared to an indoor gig.
    I only paid 62 euro for the Lucky Dip so I can't really complain, would be a bit miffed if forked over 190 euro though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Great show last night

The sound was great where we were, just to the right of the sound stage

Pity they didn't play Monkey Man which they soundchecked earlier in the week but what can you do? So many classics in their back catalogue

The drink situation was atrocious though. All I saw on sale was Carlsberg. €6.50 for a bottle of 3.8% warm piss. Couldn't even finish the first bottle. Just drank water for the rest of the night

I think that's a GAA rule though. If you have people staggering around with pints, said pints end up spilled onto their pitch. I've been at gigs there where you're only allowed water on the pitch...

Up in the stands, there was Guinness, Cidre, Carlsberg, wine, Gordon's Gin...

Yeah plastic Carlsberg bottles only. Catspiss. Always the way.

I had a hipflask filled with Teeling Single Grain so worked out fine. No need to go to the toilet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,912 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The pints of Carlsberg were horrible and at €6.50 a pint too

Next Irish outdoor gig for me is Billy Joel in the Aviva in June and will totally be a different experience to last night. I am going to the Foo fighters in the Etihad Stadium Manchester the week before too along with Pearl Jam in the O2 London. So lots to look forward too

Have a feeling this may be my last CP concert for a while as most of the band's I'm interested in have either played there or are not calibre

I guess the Bull**** by the production manager saying 'longest set of the tour', special show etc was a ploy too sell more tickets ??

The Academic played well but barley anyone seemed interested and it was really a mess up by Aiken. The place was half empty for there set

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

I went to this gig almost out of duty as I knew this would be their last show here. I expected them at their advanced age to be phoning it in. Boy was I wrong. Fantastic gig and far superior to the Slane gig. Charlie and Keith seem on their last legs with Ronnie and Mick taking charge. Surely Jagger must be one of if not the greatest frontmen of all time. He seemed to get more energized as the night went on like he was feeding off of the crowds energy. Gimme Shelter was my highlight out of a night of highlights. Anyone who was lucky enough to watch them last night witnessed a pure master class in music. There was no fancy gimmicks, no moving stages or giant blow up lips. This was all about the music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah plastic Carlsberg bottles only. Catspiss. Always the way.

I had a hipflask filled with Teeling Single Grain so worked out fine. No need to go to the toilet either.

For gigs that are now charging in the region of €200 for seats, the catering and drink availability at CP is an outright disgrace. Sole hot food is plain burger. Checkout chocolate bars and crisps. Not good enough.

Edit: Giving serious consideration to going to Cardiff to see the gig again. A Friday night, a proper night for such a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

corm500 wrote: »
    I went to this gig almost out of duty as I knew this would be their last show here. I expected them at their advanced age to be phoning it in. Boy was I wrong. Fantastic gig and far superior to the Slane gig. Charlie and Keith seem on their last legs with Ronnie and Mick taking charge. Surely Jagger must be one of if not the greatest frontmen of all time. He seemed to get more energized as the night went on like he was feeding off of the crowds energy. Gimme Shelter was my highlight out of a night of highlights. Anyone who was lucky enough to watch them last night witnessed a pure master class in music. There was no fancy gimmicks, no moving stages or giant blow up lips. This was all about the music

Spot on there. It was one of my favourite gigs. For me Jagger, Mercury and Lynott are the best front men of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Zardoz wrote: »
    All of these outdoor concerts are grossly overpriced.
    Its ridiculous when you think of it, the nearest seat to the stage in Croke Park is further away than the back seats in the 3ARENA.
    I feel detached at gigs in Croke Park if seating,it's not an immersive experience compared to an indoor gig.
    I only paid 62 euro for the Lucky Dip so I can't really complain, would be a bit miffed if forked over 190 euro though.

Give me paying an extra 50 euro to watch an act like that in an outdoor arena rather than the 3Arena anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

For gigs that are now charging in the region of €200 for seats, the catering and drink availability at CP is an outright disgrace. Sole hot food is plain burger. Checkout chocolate bars and crisps. Not good enough.
    a disgrace :pac:

the vast majority of concert venues have no food whatsoever.
    there's no need for any hot food at Croker for a gig. Is it really that hard to find somewhere to eat before going to the gig? or survive without food for a few hours?

then again, given what a bunch of fat fukcs we are in Ireland, maybe it is....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It was hilarious, you could have smuggled go knows anything into that gig last night YET if you went for a slash they wouldn't let you back in unless you still had your ticket. I had mine thankfully but there were people literally begging to go back in. F'Cking bizarre. Where did they think the post-pissers were coming from? And how easy is it to throw your ticket away or drop it once you enter the turnstiles.

Joke. I would be enraged if that happened to me

Advertisement