Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No

Can you get total death (all deaths Covid and non) graphs from 2020 and 2019 and put them side by side with the 2021 figure and you will notice they are more or less the same with little or no spike. Someone dying with Covid doesn't mean they died from Covid. If you went in to hospital from a weak heart, caught Covid before you died you would go down as a Covid death when the truth is the poor heart killed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

If you want to post something, you dig it out and post it.

Or did I miss the email saying I had to do other posters work for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No

CSO figures for 2021 not yet fully published for Q3 and Q4.

600 of a difference from 2020 when Covid was at its worst in this country and we were told deaths were highest, actual figures tell us about an extra 11 people a week died when compared to total actual deaths in 2019 and 2018....

2020 - 31,765

2019 - 31,134

2018 - 31,140

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsar/vitalstatisticsannualreport2018/deaths2018/

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-vsys/vitalstatisticsyearlysummary2020/

No

Deaths will continue to happen as a result of contracting Covid. At what point does this become, for want of a better word, acceptable? Each death is a person with people who love them. It doesn't matter if they lost their life from Covid or cancer or suicide or a car crash. They are gone.

That's the life we have. It's fragile. We can't live it in the hope that we won't cause the death of person A on the bus. Or when we sit in our car we remind ourselves that we could accidentally kill a person today.

Living with an internal narrative that our actions and words could cause the death of another isn't healthy.

I've worn my mask once since the mandate was lifted and that was in my GPs. I was on a bus yesterday for the first time in a year and there were a number of people wearing theirs. I didn't wear mine. It could be argued that I was selfish, actually I know I can be. No point dressing up the trait in claims that masks don't work or whatever, I know me.

But I absolutely strongly believe that we must do what is right for each of us and not live our lives based on what we think is right for others. We cannot save everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

But I absolutely strongly believe that we must do what is right for each of us and not live our lives based on what we think is right for others.

We already live our lives with the welfare of others in mind.

And the mask isn't just about others, any individual who thinks they are not at risk from it could find out that that is not necessarily the case and while right now, they might shrug their shoulders and say 'So what, that's life' there's plenty examples of those who held such a view changing it once they got the virus.

And I am not saying we stay in constant lockdown, wear masks eternally, but that we recognize that the virus is still present and still people are being impacted by it. And we certainly don't glorify in the disappearance of masks like they should never have appeared in the first place (which you yourself are not doing). That is one of the main concerns I have about the mask conversation is that for some, they are using the fact that advice to wear them from NPHET and others has stopped, to mean that that advice was never valid in the first place.

We can't just ignore harsh realities because they are unpleasant and we want to go back to a time of innocence, we are not immortal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

Back we go to 2019, no questions asked.

I'd rather have a few days of regret before the end than continue wearing a face rag, possibly for years, constantly thinking "someone could get sick if I remove the mask". covid is not going away, it is here to stay, and I'm not going to cower away from it, time to move on.

King Tony declared the war over, and that's all we need to know.

The masses hung on his every word, imploring him to squeeze harder, and when he did, they loved it.... but when he declared it over, they were like, "whoa there Tony, you have no idea what you're talking about".

Masks were just window dressing, pure and simple, they served no purpose other than to let people think they were doing something useful, but Omicron showed us all just how "useful" they were.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread seems to be going over stuff that belongs in the mask megathread. Not sure there is anything useful still to say here and further mask discussion can move back to the megathread

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement