Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

There are and have been plenty of snide comments thrown at people not wearing masks (or wearing them properly) on this forum over the last 2 years, and even in the last 24 hours.

The difference is that those now happily moving on without masks have generally always been pro-choice, whereas the mask advocates are generally authoritarian and want everyone else to not just respect their choice, but make the same choice as well.

If people want others to respect their choice to wear a mask (a reasonable expectation), the flip side is that they need to equally respect that others have the same right not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

I was replying to one particular snide comment about Tony and Altars and being thanked for wearing one.

And with all due respect the comments here in the last couple of weeks have been overrun with insults and innuendo like that one against anyone saying that those choosing to wear a mask should be able to do so without that type of attitude

You say "The difference is that those now happily moving on without masks have generally always been pro-choice, whereas the mask advocates are generally authoritarian and want everyone else to not just respect their choice, but make the same choice as well"

Well frankly that's bull. Take a read of this thread and the other threads for evidence which shows any notion that those virulentely against masks are in any way pro choice.

You say "If people want others to respect their choice to wear a mask (a reasonable expectation), the flip side is that they need to equally respect that others have the same right not to."

Again away from the screamers on these threads attributing all kinds of bizarre attributes, insults and character flaws to those who have used masks or who may continue to use them, I do not see any significant view that some people think others should be forced to wear a mask. Certainly there's been discussion around mask ware in general and even inconsistencies pointed out and like all discussion there will be disagreement.

The utter hysteria by some exhibited in this thread about mask during a pandemic is truely incredible. It remains the mask mandate has now been rescinded. People need to seriously catch a grip.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

No

I think im just going to continue following the advice. So no, i dont need to wear the mask.

But out of respect to others, if i have any cold, sneeze, whatsoever i will wear one.

Anyway i cant believe the amount of people who believe the wearing of their own mask is to stop them catching covid.

Its to stop you spreadfing it if you have it.

There are and have been plenty of snide comments thrown at people not wearing masks (or wearing them properly) on this forum over the last 2 years, and even in the last 24 hours.

Aggression begets further aggression. I take it you haven't looked over the posts of the anti-mask crowd checking for snide or outright insulting comments? And as for being pro-choice, meh.. there's very little respect being handed out by most people here about letting people choose for themselves... and that definitely includes the camp you adhere to. Go on.. stop for a moment, suspend your offended being, and evaluate the range of opinions on this thread towards those who would wear their masks.

I'm not saying that the pro-mask crowd are innocent of anything. The last two years have brought about a lot of confusion, and worry to people, in addition to the effects of being put into very limited boxes. It's quite understandable that people have thrown out their frustrations. Not excusing them in the slightest, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

No

There wasn't much respect for those who made the choice to not get vaccines. They were looked upon with a strange sense of bile. I'm vaccinated but respected the choice of those who aren't.

Such a hypocritical post.

• Advertisement

The mask can provide some protection against catching covid. It's not a comprehensive protection, but it does allow some small help. Personally, I can't believe the way people jump to extremes, dismissing the value of the mask, just because it's not a total protection. I view it as being no different from taking vitamins, or that of distancing... it's might help you from catching covid, but it's not any kind of absolute. I don't expect it to be. It also depends on what kind of mask you're wearing. The surgical and cloth masks are pretty much useless, but the filtered ones provide some benefit.

How is it hypocritical ?

You talked about something completely unrelated to my post, and then claimed my post to be hypocritical.

If my post was hypocritical, then I'm sure you can find posts of mine insulting people who chose not to wear masks? Otherwise, you're talking shite and reinforcing my point about aggressive posters.

Well done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

No

"completely unrelated"

Yes, when it suits you. You're a hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Haven't been out and about myself yet.

But himself went into a shopping centre yesterday not wearing his mask. Said it felt a little strange. He said there were a few people in the stores not wearing masks and coughing and spluttering away which made him uncomfortable so he put on a mask then. One store - a nationwide supermarket - had a sign up to say masks were required. He was chatting a shop assistant in another store who said they were told NOT to wear masks on the shop floor which they weren't entirely happy, that they wanted a choice.

And you're still full of shite.

You have not defended your claim. Just repeated it. As I said, explain how it's hypocritical... unless you're going to assign more crap to me that I didn't say, in which case, don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

A mask stops you having to talk to assholes, or smile at them - this toxic forum needs a special mask. Special needs mask !!

I will wear a mask if i want to and not, if i dont "my mouth my choice" ...... just like "my body my choice" (ooh forgot that only applies to abortion !! not to vaccination !! ). Attack me now you lot its like a blood sport to you all.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

No

Pure bloods, we have one here in the office and she's so smug about it ! I got double vaccinated but wont get anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

He’s truly brainwashed if he’s fearful of people coughing and sneezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

No such thing as a face nappy, so your made up story is BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Eh, people coughing and spluttering was gross in the before times too. Not wanting to catch a cold, isn't bloody "fearful". Thinking people with poor manners around coughing/ sneezing/ hand hygiene are dicks isn't the same as being "conditioned" or "fearful". They were dicks 3 years ago, they're dicks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

You said he was fearful of them so he put on his mask, what did he do before those masks were used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When i go out I might wear a mask or I might not . It depends on how I am , if I have a cold etc or if its it crowded . I will make that decision for my situation and my families situation and will fully respect everyone else’s decisions to wear a mask or not to wear one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

He would get sick and miss work actually. Before he started getting the flu vaccine he would miss weeks of work in the winter. With that vaccine it reduced it down to a couple of days here and there. He has an underlying condition and a lowered immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No

By making all of our rules legally-enforceable we didn't respect any personal responsibility; the State took that away and decided what would be best for the individual. Ireland's response to covid was based on the premise that people should not be allowed to have personal responsibility. Those that supported the restrictions seemed to condition themselves via cognitive dissonance that the restrictions were not relaxed because people could not be trusted to have personal responsibility while at the same time called for people to exercise personal responsibility, have "cop on" and "do the right thing". Now we see this attitude in its glaring hypocrisy with some of the continued mask-wearers getting upset at people not "taking personal responsibility" and continuing to wear one, as if personal responsibility existed at all in our covid response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What store , in sure you can name

Bit of a shocker if true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

No

Well said. This seems like the most reasonable approach to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

such bull... its not black and white.. eg I am pro choice when it comes to say, abortion (if someone chooses to have one, it doesn't affect me - so I respect their choice).. but masks is a different story - whether one wears a mask or not DOES affect others!

serious amount on crap on here..

me?.. I didn't wear my mask in the SM yday - cos I didn't feel the need.. but it felt odd.. like I was expecting a member of staff to tell me to put one on... guess i'm a bit institutionalised...

I'll play it by ear - but will probably wear one more than not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭nomoedoe

No

First time in a supermarket this morning without a mask and it felt so good to be back to normal ,i was in a large Supervalu and i counted only two staff with them on and a handful of customers ,i reckon by Paddy’s day bank holidays Covid will be forgotten about and very few if any people will be wearing them anymore.

No

It sounds to me that your position is that you felt you were the odd (one out) more than anything else. You even admit you're a bit institutionalised at this point.

Both of those are about YOU, not anyone else around you and that's fine and all (it's not really but at least you recognise the issue - it's up to you whether you take steps to address it) but let's not pretend that it has anything to do with health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I am going to start wearing a mask again because it seems to annoy other people who are in no way impacted by me wearing a mask.

No

It's not as annoying as those who want to wear their masks but expect everyone else to do the same to make them feel better, and who seem very put out when those others don't agree.

Work away yourself, but that's all you're entitled to. Choice is a great thing and long overdue on this particular topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭bmc58

Yes in all situations.

I know why I'm still wearing my mask.I'm still trying to protect people like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭bmc58

Yes in all situations.

I hate masks but have always worn them even in close family homes .Yes most people don't like masks but the need to be worn for the greater good.

Sign still up in local SV today,, barstewards should of taken them signs down,, still a lot of folk wearing them around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Those who wanted restrictions ended and masks mandates removed have nothing to do with their time now so have turned into curtain twitchers watching everyone to see who has a mask on .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement